Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2021, 04:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh?
It was their own choice?
( The more you live the more you learn...)
Yes, people generally SELF identify as Hispanic in the US. Or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Quote:
But this "sizeable amount" is elsewhere.
Not in the US.

The kind of *Hispanics" that America overwhelmingly sees are Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, and Puerto Ricans, and they practically all have uniformed *mestizo* look.

True story;
Once in New York I was staying in line for some sight-seen.

There were three guys standing in front of me, speaking Spanish, and judging by their look I instantly knew that they were NOT from the three aforementioned places (Puerto-Rico, Mexico or Cuba.)

Two of them were Spanish-looking, and the third one was German, I could swear. Yet I knew they were all coming from the same country, but it was not somewhere in Europe.

I made a guess they were somewhere from Argentina.

I asked out of curiosity.

They've said "yep."

And the *German* guy was of the German descent, precisely as I've guessed.

He was pleasantly surprised when I asked him - both sets of his grand-parents were from Germany indeed.

He asked how did I know.

I only chuckled.

And yes, if I were him, I'd have hard time putting myself into "Hispanic" bracket, even if my mother tongue were Spanish.
And he doesn't have to put himself into the "Hispanic" bracket if he doesn't want to.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:49 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,018,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as Hispanic outside the US, these people would simply be classified as 'white' in Europe (unless they are black that is!)
Why would the British government create a separate category for such a tiny cohort as "Hispanics" in that country? There has probably been an increase since then but the 2001 census showed a whopping 62,735 natives of Latin America (i. e. everything in the Americas from Mexico south, exclusive of formerly British Caribbean territory) in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_...born_residents

Last edited by deb100; 10-19-2021 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 10-19-2021, 05:07 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Why would the British government create a separate category for such a tiny cohort as "Hispanics" in that country?
Exactly. They wouldn't, and no one expects them to. But that doesn't seem to stop some residents Brits from criticizing the US for having such a category, even though it IS extremely relevant here.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:56 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,064,894 times
Quote:
Are we looking at the same text?

I hope we do)))

The recommended ethnic groups are:

White
  • English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish or British
  • Irish
  • Gypsy or Irish Traveller
  • Any other White background

Black, African, Caribbean or Black British
  • African
  • Caribbean
  • Any other Black, African or Caribbean background
Other ethnic group
  • Arab
  • Any other ethnic group
So obviously, "other ethnic group" is not included in the "white" category, innit?

P.S. By the sound of it, your "people of Cornwall" would be the "sub-ethnos" by Russian standards)))

People of Cornwall, meet the Pomors)))

P.S. P.S. So obviously, every country goes by the agenda important specifically to it ( in political/ethnic/racial sense of it,) and if one country acknowledges the existence of "Hispaincs" as a separate group, while other country does NOT, it says very little about the situation with "racism" in any given country.
Yes we're looking at the same text, the problem is you are failing to grasp what they are saying! The ONS has to take information, that is sometimes as ambiguous as 'Cornish' and put it into some kind of comparability of Ethinic make-up THE important wording here is RECOMENDED! But as the site quite clearly states:-

"People are encouraged to write in their ethnicity using their own words if they don’t identify with any groups in the list."

The government would NEVER dream of suggesting ANYTHING that can be interpreted as racist, the government quite clearly states that you can identify yourself as exactly how you want to be identified, there are hundreds of identifying markers not on their RECOMENDED list, personally myself I could identify myself as English, British, white, caucasian, Kentish, a Westerhamer, European etc.
And there ARE people that will only self identify as Cornish (about 8% of Cornish people I believe), they do this because 'some' Cornish people are VERY insistent that Cornwall is a seperate entity to England and the government would NEVER tell them they don't have a right to self identify how they want to!

So NO, nowhere on the government web-site to they say you cannot self identify as 'Arabian' or 'white' or 'black' or 'caucasion' or 'black Scottish' or ANY self identifying label that any one individual may want themselves placed.

I thought they were pretty clear on this.

Last edited by easthome; 10-20-2021 at 04:06 AM..

Old 10-20-2021, 05:15 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Exactly. They wouldn't, and no one expects them to. But that doesn't seem to stop some residents Brits from criticizing the US for having such a category, even though it IS extremely relevant here.

That is the point this entire thread actually revolves around.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:11 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,377,745 times
Quote:
But this "sizeable amount" is elsewhere.
Not in the US.

The kind of *Hispanics" that America overwhelmingly sees are Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, and Puerto Ricans, and they practically all have uniformed *mestizo* look.
According to the link provided in the following post by The Very Man Himself, yes, it’s sizable: 12.6 millions of (self-identified) White Hispanics. It’s possible some of them are still a little mixed, maybe, but it’s not like White Hispanics are very few, it’s that they are overlooked because they look… just white!

Old 10-20-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In case this 'Brits' comment includes me I would like to point out that I'm not 'criticising' the US, perhaps I'm not very good at getting my point across either, I'm just saying that Hispanic isn't something that exists outside the US (not in the way the term is used in the US anyway), therefore the 'ethnic' lists posted earlier (my original point) listing 'Hispanic' as a seperate race/ethnicity doesn't compute here as a seperate race/ethnicity, the 'Hispanics' listed would in European eyes instead be categorised as white (if they're white like Jennifer Lopez) or black if they're black or native Americans if they're native Americans or mixed if they're mixed etc etc.

I made the point about Jennifer Lopez and the film 'Maid in Manhatten' simply because that scene is a bit 'head scratching' for us (in the UK), when I first saw the scene and she announces that he would only be interested in here if she was 'white' it confused the hell out of me because I looked at the character and thought 'but you ARE white'!? Now because I understand better the 'Hispanic' thing in the US I can see where that scene was coming from.

Also the 'guy' she refers to is an English character so therefore like me he would just see her as 'white' anyway (in other words they need the character to be an American character for that to work). I can understand why Americans may not see this, I'm not being critical, just trying to explain the differences, differences brought about because 'arguably' in the US 'race' seems to be more integrated into everyday life. I do not think these differences make people in the US any more or any less racist than people in Europe.

To further illustrate the 'differences' I would consider some of my family as 'Hispanic' (all white) because they are from Spain. Here 'Hispanic' doesn't pertain to an ethnicity or race but instead is anybody who is from Spain or Spanish speaking ex-Spanish colonies, a bit like the term 'Anglo' in how it refers to the UK, or English speaking ex-British colonies.

Last edited by easthome; 10-20-2021 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-23-2021, 06:17 PM

146 posts, read 89,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In case this 'Brits' comment includes me I would like to point out that I'm not 'criticising' the US, perhaps I'm not very good at getting my point across either, I'm just saying that Hispanic isn't something that exists outside the US (not in the way the term is used in the US anyway), therefore the 'ethnic' lists posted earlier (my original point) listing 'Hispanic' as a seperate race/ethnicity doesn't compute here as a seperate race/ethnicity, the 'Hispanics' listed would in European eyes instead be categorised as white (if they're white like Jennifer Lopez) or black if they're black or native Americans if they're native Americans or mixed if they're mixed etc etc.

I made the point about Jennifer Lopez and the film 'Maid in Manhatten' simply because that scene is a bit 'head scratching' for us (in the UK), when I first saw the scene and she announces that he would only be interested in here if she was 'white' it confused the hell out of me because I looked at the character and thought 'but you ARE white'!? Now because I understand better the 'Hispanic' thing in the US I can see where that scene was coming from.

Also the 'guy' she refers to is an English character so therefore like me he would just see her as 'white' anyway (in other words they need the character to be an American character for that to work). I can understand why Americans may not see this, I'm not being critical, just trying to explain the differences, differences brought about because 'arguably' in the US 'race' seems to be more integrated into everyday life. I do not think these differences make people in the US any more or any less racist than people in Europe.

To further illustrate the 'differences' I would consider some of my family as 'Hispanic' (all white) because they are from Spain. Here 'Hispanic' doesn't pertain to an ethnicity or race but instead is anybody who is from Spain or Spanish speaking ex-Spanish colonies, a bit like the term 'Anglo' in how it refers to the UK, or English speaking ex-British colonies.
Those Hispanic people fourth for recognition because starting post WW2, especially after the 1960s the US began having large numbers of Spanish speaking immigrants who facesd discrimination in housing, employment, and education.

I don’t know why city data threads have to dissolve into non sensible this person is considered this or that.

Latinos are 18 percent of the US, and as there’s political power in numbers there are reasons for Latinos to want to organize along those lines.

With all due respect perhaps this is an opportunity fo learn not to comment on things that don’t concern you and that you probably can’t understand.

A lot of things happen in the world that you may not understand or like but it’s not like the world revolves around your approval.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy98 View Post
Those Hispanic people fourth for recognition because starting post WW2, especially after the 1960s the US began having large numbers of Spanish speaking immigrants who facesd discrimination in housing, employment, and education.

I don’t know why city data threads have to dissolve into non sensible this person is considered this or that.

Latinos are 18 percent of the US, and as there’s political power in numbers there are reasons for Latinos to want to organize along those lines.

With all due respect perhaps this is an opportunity fo learn not to comment on things that don’t concern you and that you probably can’t understand.

A lot of things happen in the world that you may not understand or like but it’s not like the world revolves around your approval.
I'll comment on what I wan't to comment on thanks, its a free country no? Show me ANYWHERE where exactly have I said anything about 'my approval'? Stop making things up. All I said is that Hispanic is not the same here, therefore comparing racial make-up between the US and Europe (when you use 'Hispanic' as a separate race/ethnicity in the US 'census') is comparing apples to oranges! I simply pointed out that what you call Hispanic would simply be classes as 'white' here (if they're white), or 'black' here (if they're black) or whatever else they might be. YOU are the one getting yourself all 'twisted inside' over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe