Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it wrong for formerly Eastern bloc countries to become NATO members?
Yes, it was wrong for NATO to expand eastward and Putin is right to be upset about it. 16 16.84%
No, independent countries have every right to decide if they want to become NATO members. 74 77.89%
It was okay for some countries to join NATO, but all 14 of them should not have joined NATO. 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:03 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Since 1996, fourteen Eastern European countries have become NATO members. Putin has stated that he disapproved of NATO expansion and it's one of the reason that he attacked Ukraine.

Do you think it was wrong for so many countries to apply for and join NATO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 09:25 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Yes. But phrased like that sounds as if we can trust the old-lying-gnome (Putin). Didn't he abandon the narrative about nato and switched entirely to 'denazification'? So I guess even without nato for as long as you have ku klux klan members you're also in danger. They're just looking for an excuse to invade and there is none.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:00 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yes. But phrased like that sounds as if we can trust the old-lying-gnome (Putin). Didn't he abandon the narrative about nato and switched entirely to 'denazification'? So I guess even without nato for as long as you have ku klux klan members you're also in danger. They're just looking for an excuse to invade and there is none.
I don't understand the problem Putin has with "nazis". What were they doing in Ukraine? Torturing minorities?

Anyway, the poll result says most people think it was right for Eastern European countries to join NATO. So, do people also think that war with Russia was inevitable? Because that is the result of NATO expansion into Russia's sphere of influence.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:13 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Russia's sphere of influence.

Russia is no factor since 1989, Obama rightfully called them "regional power". The last 2 weeks they showed the world they're the biggest joke and all claims they make now are invalid or just lies and should be put in "spam".

Even Kazakhstan, a country with 20% russians is against the war, it's impossible to find anyone who is 'influenced' by it. I personally don't depend on their gas, but even if I did I'll support total ban of their fossil fuels.

edit: Again, Crimean and the most eastern parts of Ukraine seem like they should be free and split from Ukraine - which is another story and can be achieved without the genocide and lies of russia.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
NATO is so passe,there is no more USSR .
Get rid of NATO .

Old 03-10-2022, 07:17 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,067,965 times
Quote:
I don't understand the problem Putin has with "nazis". What were they doing in Ukraine? Torturing minorities?

Anyway, the poll result says most people think it was right for Eastern European countries to join NATO. So, do people also think that war with Russia was inevitable? Because that is the result of NATO expansion into Russia's sphere of influence.
I think every country should have the right to join any alliance they want to.
Who gives the right for another country to step in and say "no you can't join alliance X"
we don't like it....we won't let you".

Don't forget the reason there is a NATO is because european countries (and USA and Canada)realized that they needed to band together to defend their countries against any possible Soviet (now Russian) aggression....that is why there is a NATOand unfortunately it is very much necessary.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:49 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I think every country should have the right to join any alliance they want to.
Who gives the right for another country to step in and say "no you can't join alliance X"
we don't like it....we won't let you".

Don't forget the reason there is a NATO is because european countries (and USA and Canada)realized that they needed to band together to defend their countries against any possible Soviet (now Russian) aggression....that is why there is a NATOand unfortunately it is very much necessary.
Quote:
You’re still locked into a very knee-jerk defense of nato so that the militarism still goes on—everybody knows if Russia had troops in Mexico or Canada there would be invasions tomorrow. He sends the Secretary of State, telling Russia, “You have no right to have a sphere of influence,” after the Monroe Doctrine, after the overthrowing of democratic regimes in Latin America for the last hundred-and-some years. Come on, America, do you think people are stupid? What kind of hypocrisy can anybody stand?
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...in-the-culture

What if China placed missiles in Mexico pointed at us? What if China had a bioweapon lab on the USA/Mexico border?

Quote:
SEN. MARCO RUBIO: Does Ukraine have chemical or biological weapons?

VICTORIA NULAND: Ukraine has a biological research facilities, which, In fact, we are now quite concerned Russian troops, Russian forces, may be seeking to gain control of. So, we are working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces should they approach.

. . . . Jump to . . .

Then the National Pulse dug up 2011 report from the U.S. National Academy of Sciences that also explained that the Odessa based laboratory "is responsible for the identification of especially dangerous biological pathogens." So, what we're doing—this is not the first time you've heard this story—we are funding the creation of deadly pathogens so we can study them and prevent people from getting infected with them.

The U.S. Embassy in Ukraine has a handy web page explaining that American and Ukrainian scientists have worked on a whole bunch of different experiments like this.

Some of the projects include work on African swine fever virus, hemorrhagic fever virus, and various respiratory viruses. The interesting thing, the telling thing, is that the U.S. Embassy's website also contains links to fact sheets about America's support for biological research in Ukraine, but all those links are now dead.

The web page is archived, thankfully, and the fact sheets show Defense Department funding to laboratories in Ukraine.

We're going to the Foreign Ministry of China, a country we despise. Here's what they said today. They're calling on weapons inspectors to take a look at these facilities in Ukraine right away.

ZHAO LIJIAN: Over the past two decades, the United States has been blocking the establishment of a verification regime to the Biological Weapons Convention and refused to accept the inspection of biological facilities within and outside its borders. The move has further aggravated the concern of the international community. We, once again, urge the U.S. to provide full clarification of its bio militarization activities within and outside its borders and accept multilateral verification.
I don't like the Chinese government, but I gotta admit it has a point.

If the shoe was on the other foot, would USA put up with this on its border?

Old 03-10-2022, 08:56 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

I think it's not so simple. The issue with Ukraine has come up fairly late in the game. Why now, why not much earlier, if he was upset about the Baltics joining, among others? I don't see why NATO couldn't have made a concession, and left Ukraine as a buffer state. (As long as its borders were respected, and Russia didn't chew away at the eastern portion of the country.) I don't think it's an all-or-nothing matter. There's room for a middle ground in there, somewhere, but neither side is looking for that.

The Cuban missile crisis wasn't resoled by both sides digging in their heels.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:02 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
I think it's wrong for the U.S. to pursue a strategy of 'the more the merrier' for NATO as this may force the U.S. to go to war over the territorial and political disputes of countries of zero relevance to the interests of the United States.

I believe there's a potentially fatal circular logic here where the necessity of NATO's presence in Eastern Europe is supposedly proven by the reaction of Russia to NATO's presence and expansion in Eastern Europe, which essentially leads you down a spiral of mutual provocation and already has brought us a regional war, but which could certainly escalate well beyond that.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Glad to see that an overwhelming majority of those who answered the poll are sane and rational thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe