Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:15 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ukraine’s Zelensky, Kremlin critic Navalny call on France to vote for Macron in presidential race

Ukrainian President Zelensky was more circumspect in his support for Macron.

"While I do not think that I have the right to influence what happens in your country, I want to say I have a relationship with Emmanuel Macron and I would not want to lose that," he told French TV station BFM.

He added that Le Pen was wrong in her views about Russia-Ukraine issues. "If Le Pen understands that she has made a mistake, our relationship could change," Zelensky said.

Le Pen, who prior to the war had been an open admirer of Putin, has said that as president she would block European sanctions on Russian oil and gas. The far-right candidate has also said that if she is president, France would once again leave NATO military command and has called for a Russia-NATO "rapprochement".
https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...sidential-race

LePen's view that France should leave NATO has more to do with her anti-American stances than Ukrainian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 12:59 PM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Macron wins.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Macron Won

Old 04-25-2022, 06:13 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
That Macron won was a foregone conclusion.

A bit more interesting, according to France 24, the eligible voter abstention rate has been estimated at 28%, the highest in 50 years.

Does anyone have a final official figure?

Old 04-25-2022, 07:52 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Paris police shoot dead two during night of Macron reelection protests

Although he won comfortably, it was the closest the far-right has come to taking power, marking huge divides in the European nation.

Turnout was also the lowest in any presidential election second-round run-off since 1969 — with 8.6 percent of people who voted either delivering a blank ballot or spoiling their papers in a clear message of disgruntlement.

“Many in this country voted for me not because they support my ideas but to keep out those of the far-right,” Macron conceded, acknowledging that the country is “riddled with so many doubts, so many divisions.”
https://nypost.com/2022/04/25/paris-...acron-victory/

Old 04-25-2022, 11:33 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
…. 8.6 percent of people who voted either delivering a blank ballot or spoiling their papers …
So that plus 25%-28% makes for an around 35% effective abstention rate.

Again, the result a forgone conclusion, wouldn’t be surprised if that number increases to around 50% in the next 5-10 years.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
So that plus 25%-28% makes for an around 35% effective abstention rate.

Again, the result a forgone conclusion, wouldn’t be surprised if that number increases to around 50% in the next 5-10 years.
Macron may have won the Presidential Election but his main problems may be the French Parliamentary elections in June, when it's predicted he will lose his majority.

Without a clear majority in the French Parliament, Macron will not be able to bring in the major reforms he has promised and may merely become a lame duck type President.

Latest opinion polls suggests 63% of French voters want Macron to lose his majority.

This could mirror the US where Biden and the Dems are predicted by many to lose control after the November Mid-Terms.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Macron is a OK.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...raine-84310689

Quote:
As he embarks on a second term, with the intention of keeping France at the forefront of international efforts to force Putin to change course in Ukraine, Macron has given a green light for the delivery of modern artillery pieces to Kyiv that could help stem Russia’s new offensive in the east of the country.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:54 AM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Macron creating a new political party and then winning his first two elections at the Presidential-level is a really phenomenal accomplishment, regardless of political views.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:32 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Emmanuel Macron is quite tone-deaf to the domestic concerns of the average French person, and this only seems to have gotten worse as he's tried to get involved in the Ukraine-Russia conflict. (I actually think this is commendable and shows leadership. But he still has to take care of his own country.)

I was listening to a French program this morning and the commentator was saying that it wasn't really a "left vs. right" thing anymore.

The opposing sides are now the "nationalists" (Le Pen) and the "internationalists" (Macron).

yeah that sums it up quite well, although I don't think being internationalist means you have to stomp on your own people.

The June election will be interesting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe