Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 06:18 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times

Advertisements

OP is more worried about what happened on Jan 6 than moving so close to a dictator who is threatening nuclear war, makes no sense, but plenty of good advice given here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 08:14 AM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nationally, houses appreciated 20% over the last year. The OP can sell their house, cover selling costs, and have a bunch of money left over. Same for a car. A 1 year old car didn’t depreciate because of the chip shortage. They can sell it without losing much of anything.

26, college educated, and healthy with a nest egg, it should be straightforward to arrange a job for a corporation who will transfer you as an expat. A teacher corresponds to a corporate trainer. To a year in the US and transfer to their European office.

In 1995, I sold a company to a laptop computer Ethernet adapter company called Xircom. I worked for them out of their Belgium office for almost a year. I moved back to the US to do something else but I could have easily stayed. Once you have a corporate job, it’s trivial to get a visa.
What would he train people in, for a corporate employer, if his field is high school subjects like history, or whatever he does? How would he sell himself to potential employers? You had tech skills, it sounds like. That's a whole different ballpark.

The OP isn't healthy. Transferring his bundle of neuroses to an overseas environment--or even out-of-state, isn't going to change anything for him. But his issues are treatable, and shouldn't hold up his hopes and dreams too long. This is an opportunity to get the help he needs and get himself squared away and on a healthy track, in preparation for any changes in location or career trajectory he may want to make. It's very doable.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What would he train people in, for a corporate employer, if his field is high school subjects like history, or whatever he does? How would he sell himself to potential employers? You had tech skills, it sounds like. That's a whole different ballpark.

The OP isn't healthy. Transferring his bundle of neuroses to an overseas environment--or even out-of-state, isn't going to change anything for him. But his issues are treatable, and shouldn't hold up his hopes and dreams too long. This is an opportunity to get the help he needs and get himself squared away and on a healthy track, in preparation for any changes in location or career trajectory he may want to make. It's very doable.
I wasn’t aware of any of that. In the abstract, companies have training for any product they sell. It’s teaching. There are lots of products where you don’t need a technical background to do customer or sales training. The skill is standing in front of a group of people teaching.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:00 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I wasn’t aware of any of that. In the abstract, companies have training for any product they sell. It’s teaching. There are lots of products where you don’t need a technical background to do customer or sales training. The skill is standing in front of a group of people teaching.
Aside from OP's personal issues - which company will hire a HS teacher with no expertise in a specific product to transfer him oversees as trainer? 2022 is different from 1995 at least on a presentation technology standpoint.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:15 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
I would expect there to be a cultural shock: moving from Shreveport, LA to Europe. The contrast could hardly be any larger.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:37 PM

48 posts, read 29,051 times
Dude I'd look into a Masters program in Europe. Many Uni's in Euro countries have foreign students so I'm sure you can get into a program without worrying too much about language barriers.

They also have programs to assist with finding work to pay for daily expenses. And the tuitons are really cheap or friggen free (see Scandinavia). They have payback programs which they take a small percentage of your salary over the course of your career. I cannot overemphasize how great their educationsystem is regarding cost. Nothing like Uni's in the U.S. where everything is about making money.

The master's will give you a great chance of getting a job at a Uni or research facility in Europe. Special Ed is a specialized area which give you an even better chance of getting work.

I wouldn't necessarity narrow down to Paris or Berlin. Seems like you want to experience big city life, since coming from a back water, backwards minded environment, this makes sense. But both French and German people generally hate speaking english, and find Americans rather a burden to them. These are probably the last places in Western Europe you'd want to live. And both Paris and Berlin are cities that are wide and spread apart.

In most European Countries, majority of the people are progressives so you could fit in pretty well. Do the research and look at other Euro countires and then take a visit. There are a lot of other Euro countries 'mericans don't realize that are really cool.

Also as others posted if your ancestors are European, many Euro contries are now allowing dual citizenships for the younger generations.

And as for getting a kid, whats wrong with adoption?

Old 05-02-2022, 11:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mov3_f0w4rd View Post
Dude I'd look into a Masters program in Europe. Many Uni's in Euro countries have foreign students so I'm sure you can get into a program without worrying too much about language barriers.

They also have programs to assist with finding work to pay for daily expenses. And the tuitons are really cheap or friggen free (see Scandinavia). They have payback programs which they take a small percentage of your salary over the course of your career. I cannot overemphasize how great their educationsystem is regarding cost. Nothing like Uni's in the U.S. where everything is about making money.

The master's will give you a great chance of getting a job at a Uni or research facility in Europe. Special Ed is a specialized area which give you an even better chance of getting work.

I wouldn't necessarity narrow down to Paris or Berlin. Seems like you want to experience big city life, since coming from a back water, backwards minded environment, this makes sense. But both French and German people generally hate speaking english, and find Americans rather a burden to them. These are probably the last places in Western Europe you'd want to live. And both Paris and Berlin are cities that are wide and spread apart.

In most European Countries, majority of the people are progressives so you could fit in pretty well. Do the research and look at other Euro countires and then take a visit. There are a lot of other Euro countries 'mericans don't realize that are really cool.

Also as others posted if your ancestors are European, many Euro contries are now allowing dual citizenships for the younger generations.

And as for getting a kid, whats wrong with adoption?
I'll probably adopt if I haven't had a kid by age 30. It depends on what my financial situation is at that point. Not having a partner I could split childcare expenses with means I'd need to be making more than I make now to be a good single father OR I'll need to be sure I'm relatively debt-free, so I have the money saved to afford to actually do fun things with them and give them the best care possible. I've been doing duolingo French 5 days a week the past few weeks to learn basic French grammar and pronounciation, and after a year (or two) of doing this, I plan to hire an actual French tutor. I actually have a couple French-speaking friends I could practice with, too, once I get to that level. Then I'll get a TESL masters from the local university for just under 10k ( https://online.lsu.edu/online-degree...cond-language/ ) (not cheap, but its cheap enough). By the time I pay that off, I'll be able to get a second masters of Euroculture ( https://www.euroculturemaster.eu/net.../strasbourg-fr ). I could use the first masters to help get a ESL job in France, and the second masters degree to expedite my citizenship. France allows dual citizenship and Germany seemingly does not. Dual citizenship would be nice to pass on to any children I have, but I'm not sure if that applies to adopted children.

I'm also doing duolingo German, so that if I decide I'm sick enough of America that I don't care about dual citizenship, I could just do a masters degree there and just become a citizen there.

When it comes to ancestors, I have a German great-grandmother, and an Irish great-grandfather, and a few English great-grandparents. Besides one of my great-grandmothers being a full-blooded Choctaw native, I'm otherwise only a 4th generation native-born American.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:35 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
You do not waltz in and get citizenship somewhere. Germany does not accept dual citizenship? Research is part of the very graduate degree. Having citizenship does not necessarily mean being able to hand it down to a child, not even US.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:44 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You do not waltz in and get citizenship somewhere. Germany does not accept dual citizenship? Research is part of the very graduate degree. Having citizenship does not necessarily mean being able to hand it down to a child, not even US.
To gain citizenship in Germany, you must renounce other citizenships first, unless you are born with multiple citizenships (which I may have through my great-grandparent), but I'm trying to get that legally checked out to make sure my genealogy research is accurate. So, yes, I could get dual USA-German citizenship, but only because I have a great-grandparent from there. What I read online, though, is that for children born before 1938, its based on the father being German, and I am not sure if my great-grandfather was also German at the time my grandmother was born.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:30 PM

13 posts, read 22,030 times
Here you go OP:

https://foreignlegion.info/joining/

If you qualify, they will feed you, pay you, and train you, and then you will have French citizenship. And if you live long enough, you can even get a pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe