Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 08:28 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
I like the artificial reef. Style points awarded.

And so. The score at halftime is - Putin invades to keep NATO at bay and results in Finland and Sweden both on verge of joining NATO. And NATO now strengthening defenses in the Baltics. And an avalanche of military equipment including German tanks being sent to Ukraine. And Russian oil and gas deliveries being refused.

And Russian demands for rubles for gas? Nyet. Excepting maybe counterfeit rubles. Putin better watch out for that.

Let's see. What else. Well, one large cruiser sunk along with several smaller ships, according to a You Tube report. And Putin now in line for war crimes prosecution. Russian oil facilities blown up or burned. A Russian military research lab burned down. People jumping out the windows.

What else. Moldova now applying for EU membership and I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't thinking of applying to join NATO. They should.

And Ukraine still not fallen. And thousands of Russians dead. Countless non-combatants murdered. Back home in Moscow one store after another in shopping malls closed. Food at groceries priced way beyond previously. And that's just some of it.

That's quite an impressive list of accomplishments for a mere ex-KGB employee. As a conqueror he's right up there with the two little corporals. AH and Napoleon. And will probably wind up about the same. Especially if some oligarch gets their feelings hurt.

And so. A man has just got to know his limitations...
It’s almost as if Russia has Borderline Personality Disorder.

With borderline personality disorder, you have an intense fear of abandonment or instability, and you may have difficulty tolerating being alone. Yet inappropriate anger, impulsiveness and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you want to have loving and lasting relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 07:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
"What's this about Russian oil facilities blown up or burned, and a military research lab burned down? Where did these incidents take place? I see I'm behind on some of the news."

It's on YouTube. The version I have is YouTube+Comcast Cable TV. You say YT into the remote and you're there. Pretty good. Opens all that is on the computer version. You just navigate your way around with the remote. But I imagine you're way ahead of me on all that. But, there's no access to the comment stream found on the computer version.

Anyway, there are all sorts of international news services there which you don't get anywhere near on cable tv. I'll try to name just a few. Sky News. Crux. And DW is my favorite (I was listening to DW clear back in the 1960s on internat'l shortwave broadcast). But they have anything you'd want re Ukraine. The Russian gov't also has a competing service, heavy on the propaganda. The well-known RT. But that space is where I find things. Also I found videos of those Moscow shopping malls and what shape they're now in, etc.

There are a number of Russian YouTubers who've been running Russian travelogues. For several years. There're about six or so. Acting independently. I'm not mentioning any names here. You can find them. Young girls. They do or did that for a living. And now are showing things in Russia. At some risk in my opinion. The emotions are clear enough. People there are feeling it.

Oh, there was a man on the street interview. Asked Russians what do you think of Finland joining NATO. About half didn't care and others wanted no part of that question.

It's tough being a Russian right now or anything when your government does something like this.

And so. There you go.
Thanks. I've posted a couple of those man-in-the-street interviews on another Russ/Uke thread here. The young people were all very well informed, clearly were tuning into non-Russian news sources, able to navigate around the imposed limitations on internet access to certain international websites. Or maybe some were getting the BBC on the radio. Most of them were pretty frank. In one batch of interviews, many of them were saying it's time for a change in the Presidency; in a democracy, you're supposed to get a change of President periodically, they said. In another batch of interviews, a couple of people said, Russia shouldn't be attacking fellow Slavs. Very interesting and independent opinions.

I also posted one of those travelogues by a young woman who was living abroad until the war blew up. She showed a mall with most of the foreign companies' stalls closed. I'll have to spend more time on youtube to be more fully informed. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:50 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. I've posted a couple of those man-in-the-street interviews on another Russ/Uke thread here. The young people were all very well informed, clearly were tuning into non-Russian news sources, able to navigate around the imposed limitations on internet access to certain international websites. Or maybe some were getting the BBC on the radio. Most of them were pretty frank. In one batch of interviews, many of them were saying it's time for a change in the Presidency; in a democracy, you're supposed to get a change of President periodically, they said. In another batch of interviews, a couple of people said, Russia shouldn't be attacking fellow Slavs. Very interesting and independent opinions.

I also posted one of those travelogues by a young woman who was living abroad until the war blew up. She showed a mall with most of the foreign companies' stalls closed. I'll have to spend more time on youtube to be more fully informed. Thanks for the tips.
Since you like to stay up to date, you might want to try this - https://seekingalpha.com/news/382867...an-oil-embargo

That is VERY significant information. Or "intelligence", the term used in that space.

There's also been another incident or explosion. In Transnistria. You know I think where that is and the importance.

I also thought of a few more of those YouTube news services. France 24. The Telegraph. BBC (though a bit stiff imo). Sky News is Australian and I think there's another service as well from down under. But Deutsche Welle remains my favorite due to the number of videos they put out and the world-wide coverage of all current affairs. Of course all the usual US services are also found on YouTube. And just off the internet generally, there are Asian or Far Eastern sources. Too many to name here.

Incidentally, I get the feeling from listening to interviews with commenters who know Putin or worked around him that the most dangerous time will be if it appears he has lost in Ukraine. That's when to really look out...

Old 04-28-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Incidentally, I get the feeling from listening to interviews with commenters who know Putin or worked around him that the most dangerous time will be if it appears he has lost in Ukraine. That's when to really look out...
"...he has lost Ukraine". He never had it in the first place, to lose it. But I take your meaning. One American businessman who was managing an investment fund in Russia for years, and of course dealt with oligarchs in his line of work, needless to say, said he believes P started the war because he knew his popularity was sinking, and a successful war usually helps incumbent candidates. (Example: Fujimori in Peru started a war with Ecuador for no other reason, than to prop up his ratings before an upcoming election, and the strategy worked.)

What do you think of Al Jazeera? Pretty objective? Yes, no?

Old 04-28-2022, 11:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times
Al Jazeera? I'll be honest. I don't follow them. Yes, I know it's a good place to see the "other side" of views common in the West. But there's a lingering taint about them from past history. And I can't follow everything. I don't go to whatever China or Iran or Cuba call a news service for the same reason. If that's being unfair to them, oh well.

Anyway, history is replete with somebody getting ahead by starting wars.

Too bad for the Russian people. Their government had a good thing going with their sale of natural resources and economic ties to the West. And then had to go and blow it all up.

Those sanctions are not going to be for weeks or months. They may be for decades...all because of one person.

It's a shame Boris Yeltsin couldn't have stayed around...

Old 04-28-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Al Jazeera? I'll be honest. I don't follow them. Yes, I know it's a good place to see the "other side" of views common in the West. But there's a lingering taint about them from past history. And I can't follow everything. I don't go to whatever China or Iran or Cuba call a news service for the same reason. If that's being unfair to them, oh well.

Anyway, history is replete with somebody getting ahead by starting wars.

Too bad for the Russian people. Their government had a good thing going with their sale of natural resources and economic ties to the West. And then had to go and blow it all up.

Those sanctions are not going to be for weeks or months. They may be for decades...all because of one person.

It's a shame Boris Yeltsin couldn't have stayed around...
And that's beyond sad. It's enormously inconvenient for a lot of people who were doing business with Russia, or doing cultural exchanges, or even just visiting relatives or friends. Now everyone's cut off, due to the air transport embargoes. And likely will remain cut off long-term, unless there's a sudden, unexpected change for the better. And I'm assuming, that neither the US nor Russia are granting visas to each other's citizens for tourism or cultural exchange; that's probably all shut down. Maybe they're still allowing students from each other's country to complete their programs...

And the sanctions have probably enabled a resource and technology grab by Russia of extraction operations run by foreign companies. The oil companies had invested a lot of money in equipment all over the country. Now Rosneft has probably taken over those sites, and gotten free drilling equipment, to name one example.

Yeltsin? He may not have been crazy enough to invade one or more former Soviet republics, but he was taking steps during his Presidency to undermine the interests of some of the remaining ethnic republics, pushing an agenda of provoking Russians in those areas to demand "rights", and pursuing a strategy of watering down the Indigenous population by transferring tens of thousands of Russians from the Baltics to Russia's ethnic republics, watering down the vote of what used to be the majority population. Yeltsin also allowed massive corruption and the resource-grabs that created the oligarchy. We don't really know how he would have reacted to NATO pushing Russia's borders.

There are some posters here, who say a return of Gorbachev would be the best thing to happen. (Even though it's impossible.)

Old 04-28-2022, 01:34 PM

572 posts, read 279,911 times
Quote:
And that's beyond sad. It's enormously inconvenient for a lot of people who were doing business with Russia, or doing cultural exchanges, or even just visiting relatives or friends. Now everyone's cut off, due to the air transport embargoes. And likely will remain cut off long-term, unless there's a sudden, unexpected change for the better. And I'm assuming, that neither the US nor Russia are granting visas to each other's citizens for tourism or cultural exchange; that's probably all shut down. Maybe they're still allowing students from each other's country to complete their programs...

And the sanctions have probably enabled a resource and technology grab by Russia of extraction operations run by foreign companies. The oil companies had invested a lot of money in equipment all over the country. Now Rosneft has probably taken over those sites, and gotten free drilling equipment, to name one example.

Yeltsin? He may not have been crazy enough to invade one or more former Soviet republics, but he was taking steps during his Presidency to undermine the interests of some of the remaining ethnic republics, pushing an agenda of provoking Russians in those areas to demand "rights", and pursuing a strategy of watering down the Indigenous population by transferring tens of thousands of Russians from the Baltics to Russia's ethnic republics, watering down the vote of what used to be the majority population. Yeltsin also allowed massive corruption and the resource-grabs that created the oligarchy. We don't really know how he would have reacted to NATO pushing Russia's borders.

There are some posters here, who say a return of Gorbachev would be the best thing to happen. (Even though it's impossible.)
Earlier this year before the invasion, due to the long ongoing tit-for-tat of expelling staff from embassies, the US declared all Russians to be stateless. The effect is that Russians can now go to US embassies outside Russia (primarily Warsaw) to process the necessary paperwork. My brother's MiL who lives in Vladivostok is in that situation and has been told since the invasion that she'll have to go to Warsaw.

Putin has grabbed $40B worth of leased aircraft operated by Russian airlines, but owned by western companies, and essentially "nationalised" them.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
Earlier this year before the invasion, due to the long ongoing tit-for-tat of expelling staff from embassies, the US declared all Russians to be stateless. The effect is that Russians can now go to US embassies outside Russia (primarily Warsaw) to process the necessary paperwork. My brother's MiL who lives in Vladivostok is in that situation and has been told since the invasion that she'll have to go to Warsaw.

Putin has grabbed $40B worth of leased aircraft operated by Russian airlines, but owned by western companies, and essentially "nationalised" them.
Thanks for this news. How is your brother's MIL supposed to get to Warsaw? Presumably, Poland is participating in the sanctions, prohibiting flights from Russia to land. Going by train would take over a week, and might be unaffordable to her. What a mess.

After reading your post, I looked up the current policies on the US and Russian side. Here's what I got:

Quote:
Russian nationals may continue applying for non-immigrant visas at any U.S. embassy or consulate where they can obtain an appointment. Due to the suspension of immigrant visa services at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, the U.S. Department of State has designated the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw to process immigrant visas for residents of Russia.
Here's what they say about travel to Russia:
Quote:
Do not travel to Russia due to the unprovoked and unjustified invasion of Ukraine by Russian military forces, the potential for harassment against U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials, the singling out of U.S. citizens in Russia by Russian government security officials including for detention, the arbitrary enforcement of local law, limited flights into and out of Russia, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, COVID-19-related restrictions, and terrorism. U.S. citizens residing or travelling in Russia should depart Russia immediately.

U.S. citizens should note that U.S. credit and debit cards no longer work in Russia, and options to electronically transfer funds from the United States are extremely limited as a result of sanctions imposed on Russian banks. There are reports of cash shortages within Russia.
Russia's embassy site said they're taking visa applications, but there are Covid restrictions. It's unclear if that's an out-of-date post or not.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:33 PM

572 posts, read 279,911 times
Quote:
Thanks for this news. How is your brother's MIL supposed to get to Warsaw? Presumably, Poland is participating in the sanctions, prohibiting flights from Russia to land. Going by train would take over a week, and might be unaffordable to her. What a mess.

After reading your post, I looked up the current policies on the US and Russian side. Here's what I got:

Here's what they say about travel to Russia:
Russia's embassy site said they're taking visa applications, but there are Covid restrictions. It's unclear if that's an out-of-date post or not.
She was hoping that maybe she would have to go to Seoul or Tokyo.
She'll be given a date to show up in Warsaw for an appointment.
I guess she'll fly to Moscow, then Minsk, then Warsaw. Internal Russian flights are continuing until they run out of maintenance supplies.
I don't believe there are issues with traveling overland between Belarus and Poland.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:52 PM

278 posts, read 216,787 times
Pretty sure I heard Ukrainian official from president office aka Arestovich. Saying that capturing Transnistria would be good because they can get to the huge ammo stockpile and use captured Russian soldiers as leverage to relieve Mariupol.

Sounds like a good plan to me, I think they will enact it shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe