Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best scenery in Europe
U.K 3 8.11%
Ireland 1 2.70%
Spain 3 8.11%
Portugal 1 2.70%
France 3 8.11%
Italy 3 8.11%
Switzerland 3 8.11%
Iceland 3 8.11%
Norway 6 16.22%
Sweeden 0 0%
Finland 0 0%
Germany 2 5.41%
Austria 2 5.41%
Croatia 2 5.41%
Greece 1 2.70%
Other 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 03:58 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The Norwegian fjords are clogged with huge cruise ships, so I can't vote for Norway.
All 1,732?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 07:18 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I voted "other" just on principle, because Romania wasn't listed.

But Switzerland and Germany have pretty awesome scenery. Norway's impossible to deny, too.
I voted for Switzerland....and I agree Norway is up there too....Italy is very good too.

Germany?......they have a small chunk of the lower Alps and sections of the Rhine are
scenic ...but there are plenty of other european countries that better in terms of being scenic ...including Romania....Croatia....Spain...

Italy...most people don't realize that Italy has a lot of the Alps...Italy borders on Switzerland, Austria, France...etc....the world famous "Matterhorn" is on the border of
Switzerland and Italy....half of the mountain is in Italy!

And Italy has many other scenic areas ....The Italian Riviera....Capri ...Amalfi Coast....

Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM

2,229 posts, read 771,129 times
In my humble opinion Norway is overrated except maybe for the "fjords", you can find the same type of landscape in northern USA and Canada.

As for the poll: England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales should be kept apart. Scotland is clearly a winner in this thread (IMO).

Old 10-03-2022, 08:54 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
In my humble opinion Norway is overrated except maybe for the "fjords", you can find the same type of landscape in northern USA and Canada.
Alaska has stunning fjords, too, as far as that goes.

I haven't been to a wide enough variety of European countries to have a valid opinion, but I thought Switzerland was very, very beautiful.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:12 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
The problem with the Alaskan fjords are their remote location and accessibility. Lysefjorden, where Preikestolen is located, is only one hour by car from Stavanger. A flight from London to Stavanger is 1h 40m and is very cheap ($60 one way). Most of the major Norwegian fjords are accessible both by car and boat/ship.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
France, for variety:
Alpine and the Pyrenees
Med along Cote d'Azur
Tropical jungle in French Guiana
Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique
South Pacific islands of French Polynesia
Loire valley
salt marches in Manche, and Mon-Saint-Michel
Mayotte between Madagascar and continental Africa

Old 10-03-2022, 10:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
I haven't been, but have a great interest in visiting Slovenia. It looks breathtaking.

https://tinyurl.com/5a39bm3j

Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The problem with the Alaskan fjords are their remote location and accessibility. Lysefjorden, where Preikestolen is located, is only one hour by car from Stavanger. A flight from London to Stavanger is 1h 40m and is very cheap ($60 one way). Most of the major Norwegian fjords are accessible both by car and boat/ship.
You're right...no roads or railways ...except for the mainly tourist White Pass and Yukon Railroad....when it was a "working" rail line (until 1982) it ran from Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska....now just a shorter seasonal tourist line.

Though the area is popular with cruise ships originating at Vancouver, BC

Norway's fjords are much more accessible...I recently watched an episode of "Mighty Trains" that featured both the "Bergen and Nordland Railways".....outstanding scenery,
including fjords....including many tunnels and the highest rail station in northern europe
....elevation 1222 meters at Finse, Norway...definitely on my bucket list...

Old 10-03-2022, 01:08 PM

483 posts, read 353,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You're right...no roads or railways ...except for the mainly tourist White Pass and Yukon Railroad....when it was a "working" rail line (until 1982) it ran from Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska....now just a shorter seasonal tourist line.

Though the area is popular with cruise ships originating at Vancouver, BC

Norway's fjords are much more accessible...I recently watched an episode of "Mighty Trains" that featured both the "Bergen and Nordland Railways".....outstanding scenery,
including fjords....including many tunnels and the highest rail station in northern europe
....elevation 1222 meters at Finse, Norway...definitely on my bucket list...
If you are in decent shape and the weather is nice I can highly recommend the Rallarvegen ride downhill from Finse to the fjord at FlÄm. It's not a hard ride but is a blast.

Note that the drive from Stavanger to Lysefjord features an engineering marvel. https://youtu.be/xgwctdGxMto

Norway is full of plenty of uncrowded nature where you will never have to see a cruise ship. If you like hiking, biking or boating it's hard to beat.

BTW I have Spain at #2 behind Norway. Amazing variety with multiple climates, mountain ranges and thousands of Km of coastline.

#3 - Italy also has a lot to offer but so much of it is developed and highly used. I can't see how anyone can vote for Switzerland or Austria over Italy since the latter has the Alps and so much more.

Last edited by Pavlov's Dog; 10-03-2022 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: additional content

Old 10-03-2022, 01:41 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
France, for variety:
Alpine and the Pyrenees
Med along Cote d'Azur
Tropical jungle in French Guiana
Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique
South Pacific islands of French Polynesia
Loire valley
salt marches in Manche, and Mon-Saint-Michel
Mayotte between Madagascar and continental Africa
Oh, that's big-league cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe