Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 08:58 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Are you sure, the income is higher? https://www.vox.com/2018/7/29/176271...equality-chart

In the Netherlands cost for health insurance is 130 dollar a month. Under 18 it is free. Here it is 800 or higher. Deducible in NL is 350 dollar a year. Here it starts at 6000, many treatments are not paid by the insurance and you have the "donut hole".
Interesting point. Americans also have to pay for higher education, their own and their children's, or try to at least partially pay for their kids' college expenses.

But I think it complicates the OP's intended question, to bring in all those other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:37 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting point. Americans also have to pay for higher education, their own and their children's, or try to at least partially pay for their kids' college expenses.

But I think it complicates the OP's intended question, to bring in all those other factors.

I think it makes things extremely complicated because (1) healthcare costs vary greatly within both Europe and the US, both my deductible and premiums are lower than what that OP mentions as a 'minimum' and in fact my monthly premium is comparable to what I paid back in Europe (2) individual circumstances differ greatly, college cost is irrelevant to some, a huge deal to others and of course various other things enter the equation.

I think as a rule of thumb the U.S. setup will be more lucrative to those with medium to high incomes than the European setup which is much bigger on redistribution of wealth and ensuring a certain basic QOL for those with low or no income.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:31 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Could it be cheaper to eat in Eastern Europe than Western Europe?

Old 01-19-2023, 12:35 PM

16,660 posts, read 17,426,834 times
Here in France many restaurants are obliged to offer a reasonably priced three course Menu du Jour.

We are in a rural part in the SW and these daily meals are really nice with good quality ingredients, well prepared. There is one particular very well known establishment that attracts many clients midday with an amazing six course meal for a ridiculous low price. Soup, salad course, meat fish, cheese, dessert. Red wine on the table. It's a while since we ate there but it was around 14 Euros a head.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Portions aren't really 'small' in fact they are much bigger than you are supposed to be eating at a sitting, its just that in the US portions are so humongous it makes American's think that the portions they get elsewhere on the planet are small. I know people that, when they eat out in the US, will only order a starter and a dessert because of the huge portion sizes. Large portions are good for value for money but none too good for waistlines.
That’s why we usually take home half the restaurant food for the next day’s meal. The wife likes not having to cook every day.
Even at home our evening meal portions are enough for two days.
It has been my observation over here that the more expensive the dinner, the smaller the portions.

Americans tend to get fat because of the fast food and proliferation of sugary/salty junk crap that has little nutritional value.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:07 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
It has been my observation over here that the more expensive the dinner, the smaller the portions.

Americans tend to get fat because of the fast food and proliferation of sugary/salty junk crap that has little nutritional value.
Exactly what I posted earlier. The fine-dining venues serve "normal" proportions, because the food they serve is more expensive. It's easy to fill a plate big enough for two people when you're serving beans and rice with some eggs or beef chili, or a hefty helping of potatoes and a few broccoli florets with some cheap fish and a serving spoon of slaw. It would make the plates loaded with starches seem like a good deal.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:14 PM

119 posts, read 71,817 times
If you think Europe is bad,wait till you go to Japan.
As soon as you walk out the door,YOU ARE HUNGRY AGAIN !!

Old 01-21-2023, 12:59 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Could it be cheaper to eat in Eastern Europe than Western Europe?
Yes, definitely it's cheaper in eastern Europe than Western. It's also cheaper in Portugal and Spain than northern Europe.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:31 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, definitely it's cheaper in eastern Europe than Western. It's also cheaper in Portugal and Spain than northern Europe.
The major difference is increasingly between tourist areas, which can either be upmarket or more down market, as well as areas that are less touristy or off the beaten track.

There is also often a big difference in most countries between major often capital cities and other regional often rural areas, and this is also reflected in prices, and this applies to most parts of the world.

There is also a big difference between award winning restaurants when compared to chains, and there is also a difference in relation to rural local often family run restaurants or in relation to food served in bars such as Tapas.

Then you have other differences, and some cultures don't even have a wide choice of restaurants, because eating out at restaurants is not really a big cultural thing, when compared to more western cultures.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,082 times
In Germany the restaurant food is not expensive. A schnitzel, veggies ant pommes is to be had for 15 euro's. The portions are big enough.
Here just an average restaurant. My sister lives nearby, We eat here often.
https://www.hotelwanders.de/de/gastronomie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe