Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 05:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
I had two years of Spanish in high school, and find that French is completely different from Spanish and English. Spanish is closer to English, though, and easier to learn. BTW, after being on the “kids are f-ing stupid” subreddit, I’m not convinced that kids learn faster than adults now, lol.
I find that the pronunciations come more naturally in Spanish. In French, there are a ton of silent letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That is true. Not a lot of Russians know English, but it is common for French people or German and Spanish people to know English.
They may have gotten more exposure to English due to school, but a lot of French and Spanish people struggle with English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 05:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I find that the pronunciations come more naturally in Spanish. In French, there are a ton of silent letters.

They may have gotten more exposure to English due to school, but a lot of French and Spanish people struggle with English.
The English tourism industry in Spain is HUGE, I've been myself many a time and pretty much every Spaniard I've met while there (admittedly its people involved in tourism, taxi drivers, hoteliers, shopkeepers, resteraunteur's, bar staff, waiters etc) have spoken great English, its one reason why, despite having Spanish members in my family, I am struggling to learn Spanish - every time I speak it in Spain the locals answer me in English for ease, its very kind of them but doesn't really help me with my learning.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:52 AM

2,229 posts, read 771,996 times
German is the easiest language to learn for those who's native language is English. For me the easiest languages to learn were Estonian and Hungarian.

Old 04-30-2023, 05:43 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The English tourism industry in Spain is HUGE, I've been myself many a time and pretty much every Spaniard I've met while there (admittedly its people involved in tourism, taxi drivers, hoteliers, shopkeepers, resteraunteur's, bar staff, waiters etc) have spoken great English, its one reason why, despite having Spanish members in my family, I am struggling to learn Spanish - every time I speak it in Spain the locals answer me in English for ease, its very kind of them but doesn't really help me with my learning.
That is exactly what I find in Italy. The first time we went there I remember trying to talk to my husband’s cousin in French, as it was then the second language there. Most older people here, like me, would have learn it at school in Australia even though it is has never been much spoken as a community language.
But now in Italy, English is taught right from the start of school and the cousin’s daughter is studying at a language immersion high school. Whereas here, a country which is a language graveyard, a huge shortage of language teachers has led to a decline in the teaching of all languages. Only about 10% of students study a language at high school.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 AM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
German is the easiest language to learn for those whose native language is English.
This unfortunately isn't true, even though German and English are quite closely related. Most English-speakers find Spanish and Italian significantly easier to learn than German.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

I am learning both French and Spanish on the Duolingo app. Spanish is pretty much pronounced the way it is spelled, and French is not. I mostly wanted to learn French because I was living somewhere that everything, packaging, signs, what have you, are in both English and French, but my goal was to learn to read it more than speak it.

However, to my surprise, I am picking up a lot of the pronunciation, too. And it's a great brain exercise to switch between languages.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:30 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
It all depends on where in Europe you intend to travel.

Most all younger Europeans can speak conversational English. The Dutch and those in Scandinavia often speak better English than Americans--almost.

If I lived in New England, I'd be looking to speak French.

In the rest of the U.S., Spanish is best. But I can tell you that Spanish in Spain doesn't sound exactly like the Spanish in Florida or Texas or California. In Puerto Rico, they speak New Yorican--little of each.

We travel to Europe once or twice a year. Rural Italy is somewhere we've found few English speakers. And in Paris, many young adults that can speak English won't speak it.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:32 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
German is the easiest language to learn for those who's native language is English. For me the easiest languages to learn were Estonian and Hungarian.
I find Spanish far easier to learn than German, German has complicated grammar, though I 'm ashamed to say that even then I'm not great at Spanish!

Old 05-15-2023, 04:28 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
After English, Spanish is the second most useful language to know, French may have higher status for mostly historical diplomatic reasons but in practice, Spanish is far more useful

Old 05-15-2023, 05:17 AM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
As others have already mentioned , there is no single language besides English that is relatively widely spoken throughout the entirety of the continent , however there are some languages that are widely spoken in a number of different countries and on that note ( since German and Russian have already been referenced ) I may as well put forth the Shtokavian dialect of Serbo-Croatian as being rather useful to learn in this regard .

Besides being spoken by the majority of people in four different countries , I do believe it has a certain degree of mutual intelligibility with Bulgarian/Macedonian as well and thus may come in handy should one choose to visit those countries .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe