Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 12:14 PM

127,583 posts, read 11,762,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
OP, how are you planning on moving there? Assuming you're a U.S. citizen, you can't just up and move to the Schengen area without a permanent resident's visa. You can only stay there for 90 days in a 180 day period.

Also, echoing the sentiment of other posters, moving somewhere without even having visited first sounds extremely poorly thought-through.
I agree, And it is not safe to assume that the OP has the skills needed for a visa. I give up posting on these how is life in vvvvv when there are no details about how they will move and if they are eligible for a visa.
I call them pipe dream posts till we see some feedback about if they can get a visa etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 12:37 PM

968 posts, read 514,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, And it is not safe to assume that the OP has the skills needed for a visa. I give up posting on these how is life in vvvvv when there are no details about how they will move and if they are eligible for a visa.
I call them pipe dream posts till we see some feedback about if they can get a visa etc.
OP made a thread asking questions. Either you can or can’t help, it’s up to the person to pursue their goal. They may not achieve it at the end of the day, but who are we to judge?

One of my very good friends moved to Amsterdam years ago without knowing the language, as far as I know she didn’t have a sugar daddy nor a 9-5 jobs but rather subletting her one-bedroom rental apartment in NYC. Somehow she lived there for about 4-5 yrs. She always posted tons of activities with fellow American expats who didn’t really look like they were in some high-skilled executive positions either. To this day I have no idea how she got to stay there for so long and on what visa (I can’t ask her, it’s her business and only her business.)-but people get by and make it work.

Yes they should visit the country first. Yes they should probably disclose more of their background and skills. Yes they should probably consult with an immigration lawyer before asking on an online anonymous message board. Yes they should make sure they can at least communicate in the country they desire to move to.

It’s really not that complicated to not answer if you don’t have the answer.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:30 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,060,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
OP made a thread asking questions. Either you can or can’t help, it’s up to the person to pursue their goal. They may not achieve it at the end of the day, but who are we to judge?
It's a waste of time to write pages of recommendations for someone who won't be able to use them in the first place.

OP does say, in his (1), that he is aware of needing a visa. Did I miss that in the initial post or did he change it after seeing our feedback? Most of what I've said is moot if that's a non-issue. But I'd still recommend visiting the place before even thinking of moving there.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:54 AM

977 posts, read 632,909 times
Yes, I am American, my wife is Malaysian and we currently live in Malaysia. I've lived in USA, Japan, Thailand and now Malaysia (13 years) and my wife has lived in Australia and the US, in addition to living in her native Malaysia.

We're thinking about our future, and the future of our 18 month old daughter; we wonder if Malaysia is the best place to raise her. We also wonder if going to the US would be worth it as well.

We can't move now because my mother-in-law has Alzheimer's and my wife is an only child. But when she is no longer with us, we will consider our options. We both think that it's a good idea to weigh those options now, so later on we can make a decision knowing we've fully investigated all possibilities. We will also start the process now because we know that visas can take a while.

If you see any of my posts around this forum, I've asked people about various places around the northeastern US and Canada. We've also considered the possibility of moving to the Middle East and other places in Europe, Asia or Africa.

My wife just so happened to see job openings in my field in Luxembourg and we both wanted to look a bit more into it. We've both been to Europe before, but not Luxembourg, so we thought we'd get more information.

As stated in my first post, I'm fully aware that getting a visa and moving to Europe isn't so simple. We also know it would probably be a good idea to visit the place first, but that's not an option we can even consider while my mother in law is around. But we're looking at places now, so maybe we'll have more options in the future. That's all.

I didn't want to give this much information about my private life, but it seems like some of you require greater context as to why I'm even asking these questions.

Thank you very much to all of you who've been able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe