U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I will be studying abroad in Spain next spring and I'm trying to decide where to go. I am thinking of going to Bilbao and I was wondering what everyone knows about it.

Also, are there places in Spain you would reccomend more than Bilbabo? Where are they and why?

Thank you for your help everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,566,467 times
as a foreign student, I guess you'll be placed in courses which are solely taught in Spanish. I suppose you already know that Bilbao is in the Basque Country, where the local language, Basque, is also official, as well as Spanish. Basque is the oldest etnicity in Europe, along with their language, which is it unrelated to any other ones (either Germanic or Latin -French, Spanish, Italian- languages) and helluva difficult to learn.

Bilbao was always an industrial city, with some big working-class neighborhoods, but in recent year it's getting that chic environment of other places, although not as much as San Sabestian, which is also in the Basque Country and really beautiful.

Other places? You can always choose Barcelona, Madrid or Sevilla, but they are maybe too big and crowded with tourists. Traditionally, there are 3 classic college towns in Spain: Santiago, Salamanca and Granada. I'd choose any of them over Bilbao, because they are the kind of cities I grew up in, with a lot of students, nightlife, etc.

I dunno where you come from, but Spain has the best nightlife you can find in all over Europe. Be ready to start partying at 11 pm or midnight, drinking and socializing with thousands of other students in public parks, and then hang around the numerous pubs and clubs until 7 am or so.

If you have any other questions, send a PM my way and I'll give you some other hints.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM

22 posts, read 85,976 times
I spent my junior year studying in Segovia (1 hour from Madrid) and loved it. I recommend this type of smaller town (Toledo is another wonderful place) especially in central Spain (Castilla-Leon, Castilla-La Mancha) as you are then well able to visit all parts of Spain during your breaks. You will have a blast where-ever you do decide to stay!!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,381 times
Ehhh..

If you prefer smaller towns, I suppose.

Cliche, but why not Madrid or Barcelona? You'll definitely get a better Spainsh experience (even if they are overrun by tourists)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe