Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

456 posts, read 1,397,047 times

Advertisements

"So most people are probably stereotyping Parisians more than anything. I'm sure that is a bit annoying to French people who aren't Parisians, just as Americans from different states & cities vary a lot. Especially when it comes to unfriendliness & elitism....those attitudes are usually more prevelent in all big cities, right?"

This is what I was getting at in my post. Having lived all over the States and traveled abroad, I know some of the differences and am weary of the stereotypes. In the States, for instance, there is a big difference between, say, New York City and Madison, Austin, Chapel Hill, etc.. These are medium-sized cities with vibrant arts scenes and more of a critical mass of people who are friendly and welcoming. Another comparison that comes to mind is the difference between, say, Sydney and Brisbane.

I was drawn to this thread because I want to know what it is like in other cities in France. I want to travel there one day, but do not want to run into the same kind of elitism and rudeness that is considered by many to be normal in New York City, where I now live. No offense, but I have had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Americans see them as these snobby wusses but actually I've heard they're really cool people.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:16 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
of course we are ! !

Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
No.
Snobby wusses, extremely self-centered, most of them ( but not me of course-lol-and a few others), I could rant for hours about it, after all I LIVE THERE.
But somehow I guess they are right : everybody (especially Liberal Americans) seem to crawl at their feet...good for 'em!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I like their current President. He is a like a New Yorker on pep pills. His wife is hot too. Very entertaining in direct contrast to Chirac and Mitterand who were the most intolerable of bores.

Anyway, I do not always agree with French policies (sinking Greenpeace ships) but I do like the country and the <gulp> people. Been there numerous times and never had a bad encounter, except for some old bat behind the ticket window in Gare du Nord. She thought I was British so I guess she can be forgiven. No biggie. I have pub rolled through Paris and its easy to find good conversations with the locals.

So I guess I approach the place the way they approach the States. I seperate the people from the government.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I like their current President. He is a like a New Yorker on pep pills. His wife is hot too. Very entertaining in direct contrast to Chirac and Mitterand who were the most intolerable of bores.

Anyway, I do not always agree with French policies (sinking Greenpeace ships) but I do like the country and the <gulp> people. Been there numerous times and never had a bad encounter, except for some old bat behind the ticket window in Gare du Nord. She thought I was British so I guess she can be forgiven. No biggie. I have pub rolled through Paris and its easy to find good conversations with the locals.

So I guess I approach the place the way they approach the States. I seperate the people from the government.
Oh yeah, that old bat at the Gare du Nord. I've experienced her. She didn't act like that because you were British. She's just a hateful old hag. Fortunately, there's less and less like her around Paris.

Last edited by laysayfair; 09-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Oh yeah, that old bat at the Gare du Nord. I've experienced her. She didn't act like that because you were British. She's just a hateful old hag. Fortunately, there's less and less like her around Paris.
Wow, this happened in 1988. Is she still around? LOL! I heard its typical behavior there.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Wow, this happened in 1988. Is she still around? LOL! I heard its typical behavior there.
It's getting better and better. I met her first in 1980 trying to get a ticket to Madrid. She used to be everywhere in Paris but I think her kind are finally dying off (thank-God!).

Old 09-09-2008, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 53,118 times
I dunno, you know i've never really bought into the whole euro stereotype.

I know France is a big country and Paris is a huge city like LA with it's share of problems,There are also huge expanses of rural places with little villages both the storybook kind however I'm sure a much greater number of suburbs of identical little houses filled with ordinary people who drive their Peugeots to Carrefour to stock up on jumbo-sized packs of toilet paper

Last edited by boredinTX; 09-09-2008 at 05:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Well, "BoredinTX" you hit it just right, it's exactly like that, for all our Versailles and our Grandeur, and all the hype in America about France!
And I'm a French guy living there, so I ought to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe