Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 23,504 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer to work in Paris, France. Can anyone can give me a clue of the basic costs of living in France, and compare the benefit of the France compensation system to the US.
Consider that I will be making approx. 4500 Euro net per month. And my office will be located just 20 min. from the center of Paris, not far from Orly airport. I will not mind to live outside of the city maybe in small village not to far from work.
I have a wife and a daughter of 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,288 times
I'm born in Paris and I live in Paris.
4500 net it's ok to live in Paris. 2000 Euros is minimum to be ok, though some people live with 1000 euros.
You 'll have heathcare like everyone, and maybe a "mutuelle" , another insurance private, since you pay almost nothing when you are hill.

Orly is in center south suburb and this suburb is not pretty, it's very industrial and noisy (airport).

The most important thing in Paris is to be not too far from your job. You could live in the city of Paris, which is expensive but practical.
Don't choose to be east of Orly it's less good and there is more traffic , overall, of course it's cheaper. But you can afford better.

The best is to live in the West to Orly, it's the best suburb.
A good choice is to live in Sceaux, upper middle class city, expensive but with very beautiful parc and good school.
Verrieres le buisson or Bievres it's more isolated and very quiet, and you could find houses. these small town look like a big village.

Last edited by Topaze; 12-15-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Mercy Topaze,
The exact location of this job is Massy, and I can tell U that yes I will have a mandatory additional insurance.
I will check out the location U suggested.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,592,264 times
Like the majority of people that live in Paris, I am not born here but I live in southern suburbs. (Montrouge)

€4,500 for a familly it is not high, it is not enouth to rent a little house. (These are over €2,500 per month)
For a 1,000 square feet appartement I think that you could find it at €1,500 per month in southern suburbs.
There is so few appartements in Sceaux (mostly big house), in my opinion Antony or Bourg la Reine are a better choise. these are as nice, less expensive and have more possiblity to find affordable rent.
Massy is also quite good.
Anyway the most important is to be close to public transportation.
Bourg la Reine, Sceaux, Antony are all in the RER B that serve Massy.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,164 times
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a job in Paris, France? I am from EU, but I don't speak French, yet?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,828,699 times
Go to live in Palaiseau or Villebon it's on the metro line (RER) to Paris and it is green and residential.You won't regret it!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Thank you all,
Any ideas or suggestions on a bilingual school for my daughter (7)?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,558,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRossi View Post
Thank you all,
Any ideas or suggestions on a bilingual school for my daughter (7)?
Here's a few websites which should hopefully answer some of your questions. I hope it helps.

ELSA France - Home
Council of International Schools (CIS)
International Schools in France - France Schools

Bilingual schools in France - Expatica

Bilingual Schools in France - Americans in France

Old 12-20-2008, 06:00 PM

351 posts, read 1,869,437 times
You may also want to keep in mind that as a US citizen, you will still have to file income tax returns, although your income is tax free for the first $85,000 or so (the rate has been rising and I'm not sure what the cutoff is now). Just wanted to put that out there: a lot of people don't file tax returns while they're overseas, and run into trouble later.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,791,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
You may also want to keep in mind that as a US citizen, you will still have to file income tax returns, although your income is tax free for the first $85,000 or so (the rate has been rising and I'm not sure what the cutoff is now). Just wanted to put that out there: a lot of people don't file tax returns while they're overseas, and run into trouble later.
You have to find out exactly what the deal is with the tax laws.
Each Euro country has different agreements with the USA.
Also check with your Social Security Office *back home*,
about what the agreements are.
If you work for a *pure* French Company, the rules may be different than if you would work for an American Company based in France.
If you do not want to stay *almost forever* in France, you do not want to loose your *time* for your Social Security benefits later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe