Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 30,919 times

Advertisements

I spent around 8 months playing Rugby Leauge in the South of France and it was a great experience. The South is alot more relaxed than the North and the weather more temperate. In particular towns like Perpignan, Toulose, Carcassarone and Lezignan are definately worth checking out. Also from the South Spain is only a couple of hours away and the Spanish influence is evident especially in the Catalans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,948,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
MoMark
you are a courageous traveler. I don't think I'd stay in Porte de Montreuil.
I was walking around that area and found myself lost in a housing project that looked inner-city rough...I was scared to tell the truth. Fortunately I found a street I recognized and was able to find my way out of that place!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM

469 posts, read 2,728,376 times
Has anyone ever worked on an English Language Immersion Camp in France? I would love to spend a summer in France working at one, does anyone have any advice?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:21 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,850,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Has anyone ever worked on an English Language Immersion Camp in France? I would love to spend a summer in France working at one, does anyone have any advice?
Are you talking about something like American Village?
My kid worked there last summer; he wanted to do it again this year but I don't think it will work out; he has to stay in the States.

American Village

Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,027,694 times
Late to the party, but I thought I'd add my 2cents. I lived in Paris as a student and never had one bad moment. I also traveled on several occasions to the South, and had only a few rocky moments.

Driving through the Rhone is magnificent, but I wasn't always happy to drive at 140k in my little rented Renault!

I don't speak fluent French, but enough to get by and didn't have too difficult time conversing with most everyone.

One of the cultural observations I made was that the French, unlike the Americans, don't offer to help. At first I might have thought this unfriendly, but realized after speaking to several French friends that it is a matter of convention to not intrude. A vast difference between unfriendly and respectful that can and is often confused.

I agree with one of the posters that to judge all of France by Paris and the North is like judging all of the States by New York City. I found the South particularly inviting and welcoming. I think the area of Arles speaks for itself as breathtaking and historically fascinating. One can easily understand how van Gogh could paint his sunflowers and landscapes in and around this town.

If money is any sort of issue, Paris is a poor choice. I remember that last night I was in the city, one of my former postdoctoral students took us out for drinks. He was doing a second post-doc at the Pasteur and I later learned his generosity cost him an entire month's pay. I did try to make it up to him, but he refused. That evening on the town consisted of entertainment and drinks for 4 at a jazz club--!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM

114 posts, read 389,623 times
Default Live in France

Moved to SW France 2 years ago between Cognac and Saintes. Old house where I redid the electrical, plumbing, heating etc. Walls are 50cm thick out of stone. Beautiful garden. Unfortunately the plans I had for earning a living did not work out so I am in the middle east and the family is behind. Kids love it and if I could make a decent living i would stay there. Small town, took a long time to get accepted. Everyone thinks we are english but I set that straight in a hurry. The french definetly have a different mind set than yanks but thats ok. Lots of Brits, occaisonal aussie and kiwi. Cost of living is not so low as one would think. The wine is great and inexpensive, we get fresh veggies from the neighbor farmers (took 1 year to get accepted).

Unfortunately have to move back to the US soon as have a decent job. Not that the US is bad just wish I did not have to move again. Hope to hold on to the house and rent it out for holiday lets to pay for itself and maybe retire there. There is good and bad everywhere. If anyone wants any specific info on the area (Charente Maritime) PM me.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Are you talking about something like American Village?
My kid worked there last summer; he wanted to do it again this year but I don't think it will work out; he has to stay in the States.

American Village
Yes, that is the program I've been considering! Is it a good experience? Did your son make lots of friends? Etc. etc.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Yes, that is the program I've been considering! Is it a good experience? Did your son make lots of friends? Etc. etc.
He worked hard but had a blast. He actually became quite good friends with one of the guys who runs the program, and is still in contact with some of the people he knew in AmVil, as they call it. This might be partly because some of those people were also in his English-teaching program.
If you like, I could ask him about it and see if he is willing to send some more solid advice.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTraveller View Post
I spent around 8 months playing Rugby Leauge in the South of France and it was a great experience. The South is alot more relaxed than the North and the weather more temperate. In particular towns like Perpignan, Toulose, Carcassarone and Lezignan are definately worth checking out. Also from the South Spain is only a couple of hours away and the Spanish influence is evident especially in the Catalans.
Loved Toulouse! Love that whole area. Need to go back...

Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
He worked hard but had a blast. He actually became quite good friends with one of the guys who runs the program, and is still in contact with some of the people he knew in AmVil, as they call it. This might be partly because some of those people were also in his English-teaching program.
If you like, I could ask him about it and see if he is willing to send some more solid advice.
If you would ask him, that'd be awesome. Could he put me into contact with someone who works there so I could ask them some questions? I am very curious about AmVil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe