Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Mississippienne
I have PM'd you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

168 posts, read 772,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxD View Post
Hey, I am from France (currently living in CAEN). If you need any infos or anything I'll be happy to help.
Which areas of France would have mild weather, jobs in manufacturing and nursing, good schools for the kids, and some kind of view that isn't concrete and buildings? My family is hoping to move out of the USA and France is high on the list of possibilities. I've been told Toulouse and Bordeaux would both fit, can you tell me what you think of them? Ideally I would like to live in a small village or countryside - fed up with traffic and noise enough for one lifetime!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I loved Toulouse.
It is not a small city, though the center of it is so attractive and walkable.
The southwest has milder weather, but it still can get cold during the winter.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
Hi mjewell,

The best source for answers is your nearest French Consulate........just google for the list. If you're an American citizen, I'm afraid it will be next to impossible to be granted a working visa, unless you happen to be very lucky and get hired by a company in France who will promise you at least a short-term contract. A job in France is very often a job for life due to the high social payment charges that fall on the employer's shoulders, unemployment is very high, and the line of qualified EU job-seekers ahead of Americans is very long. If you have your heart set on moving to France, perhaps you would be interested in investigating the requirements for self-employment through the French Consulate, bearing in mind there is a list of qualifications, and cotisations are costly. One cannot simply decide to hang out a shingle in France without prior approval. I hope you will realise your dream.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 AM

47 posts, read 272,271 times
Lyon is good too, country side 20 minutes away from town center !
Bordeaux and Toulouse, of course but there is also Pau (not far from the beach and at the same time not so far from the mountains)

Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 PM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
Sorry I forgot to address your questions about Bordeaux and Lyon......both great cities, in addition to Toulouse. None of these cities are cheap, and if you don't want city living they probably wouldn't do for you. If your background relates, you might look into aircraft engineering/construction industry in Toulouse. There's a website called Americans in Toulouse that might be helpful also. Bordeaux is wonderful, but also the most expensive city in France outside of Paris. Not to rain on your plans, but bear in mind that American nursing credentials don't transfer to France, and most US degrees less than a PhD, in general, aren't terribly applicable. You'd most likely need further education and certificates recognised by the French gov'. You will also need to be competent enough in the language to be employable. Have you considered getting hired on by an American corporation with branches in France and asking for a stint for a year or so before upping sticks on your own and possibly discovering you can't survive in a foreign country? It could be the simplest method to give you the opportunity to live in France and decide if you want a longterm committment.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM

Honestly France was more my husband's idea than mine. To me it looks like a lovely place to spend a month but not my first choice for the rest of my life. I can now officially say that I gave it a good look and that France isn't for us. I would really love to live in Australia instead and I already have the area I want us to live in picked out.

Thank you Bugnubs for responding to my questions. It was extremely helpful.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,920 times
You will LOVE it here I promise you!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm sure I would love many things, the architecture, history, WINE, great food, lots to see and do, good climate, close to Italy and Spain, and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous! BUT the job market leaves a lot to be desired if you're from the US and I'm never going to learn French fluently enough to change that. With young kids to support taking a chance that big just isn't an option.

I will be visiting though, probably in 2 years. One of my English sisters-in-law just opened a gite in Brittany and it looks fantastic! I won't advertise (especially since I've only seen the website) but I'm really excited about coming and I hope to take a good long train or car tour of France while we're there.

I'll still be reading the postings though...I'm always looking to be proven wrong!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:43 PM

79 posts, read 249,688 times
The French are snobs, not all but most.
I should know, it's my Families heritage. I've also spent a lot of time in French Colonies.
Their food is over rated as is much of their wine.

Besides all that, it's a beautiful country and that's the message, country.
Get out of the cities and venture to the southern country regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe