Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM

530 posts, read 648,049 times

Advertisements

Ok so here goes. I am interested in moving to France. No before you ask, I don't speak french. I would love to learn and am interested in any suggestions anyone may have. I have thought about rosetta stone. I am a nurse but again I am not sure how my degree would trnslate and with socialized medicine would the French Gov't hire me. Also, I hate the cold, so somewhere close to the coast would be nice. I currently live in tenn so i am used to the weather. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would be more than glad to listen. Also wondering how the healthcare works with forgeiners and school also. I know for the French it is free and as of current I am working on my PhD and would love to continue. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

321 posts, read 957,167 times
Nurses are in such great demand in France that many hospitals give free housing and languages classes (they hired hundreds of Spanish nurses recently). The question is whether a nurse from outside the EU is acceptable as well.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM

19 posts, read 84,139 times
As far as I know there's a rather severe lack of nurses in France (as well as about everywhere in the western world I think) but I'm not sure your diploma will be recognized over here. And there's the work visa problem.

Since you're still a student, I guess the best way for you to come to France is to find an exchange program of some sort between your university and a French one. It will be all the easier to then get a work visa, learn the language and most importantly find out if you can actually stand the French and life over here.

Living on the coast would be nice indeed, but there are more work opportunities in the Paris area and universities tend to be more "international".

A few links:

American Hospital of Paris (your diploma might be good enough to work there)
American Hospital of Paris: Welcome to the American Hospital of Paris

Paris V university (biggest French medical sciences university):
https://www.medecine.univ-paris5.fr/...hp?rubrique559
(contact info for foreign students)

Paris VI university (many exchange programs with US universities)
UPMC - University Pierre and Marie CURIE - Sciences and Medicine - Paris

There are many more but I really think you should start by trying to find out whether your university can help you complete your PhD in a French university.

You could also try Montreal. The wages of nurses in Quebec are rather low compared to the rest of Canada, which means nurses trained in Quebec universities tend to flee the state once they get their diplomas and hospitals are in desperate need of nurses.
It's gonna be way easier for you to get a work visa (still a pain in the neck though) and have your degree recognized in Quebec compared to France. You'll be able to learn french and could try to move to France later (once you're totally fluent ).

Hope it helps a little !

Just ask if you have more specific questions or need help with anything like translating webpages only available in french, etc...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,130,059 times
Me too! Soon I plan to relocate to France, probably in Toulouse. I've been to France several times and the country appeals to me very much.
I'm learning French with a book and 4 CDs (EZ French-available on Amazon for $30). Also, I listen to radio stations from France streaming in the internet. It helps to hear the language, pick up words and phrases.
Here's a great website that offers free French:
Free French Lessons - Learn French at About - Learn, Speak, Teach French
They have daily exercises, short quizzes about France, and many tips.

This site is very helpful with many aspects of relocating to France:
Americans in Toulouse - Home

Here's a list of radio stations from France:
http://www.watvon.com/radio/themes/country/France

Good luck!

Last edited by Visvaldis; 09-24-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM

530 posts, read 648,049 times
I already have a bsn and my phd course only rquires me to be on campus for 4 days a semester. The only thing is the clinical aspect, i would have have to see if they would accept french clinical and vice versa. I pick up language fairly easy so i think i could learn, i just have no one here to speak it with. I have been an Rn for over 6 yrs and done trvel nursing in the usa. I was looking @ lyons its further south and still large. Who knows, but thanks for all the help! I wouldn't mind canada, but i can't tolerate cold!

Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 PM

72 posts, read 111,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Ok so here goes. I am interested in moving to France. No before you ask, I don't speak french. I would love to learn and am interested in any suggestions anyone may have. I have thought about rosetta stone. I am a nurse but again I am not sure how my degree would trnslate and with socialized medicine would the French Gov't hire me. Also, I hate the cold, so somewhere close to the coast would be nice. I currently live in tenn so i am used to the weather. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would be more than glad to listen. Also wondering how the healthcare works with forgeiners and school also. I know for the French it is free and as of current I am working on my PhD and would love to continue. Thanks for any help!
Stay in TN and take vacations in France. I live on the Italian French Border near Nice...the place is a dump. Nice views, mountains, blue sea...fair weather cool damp winters, warm dry summers....no extreme temps. But.....No civic pride....(and things are even worse in Italy,) Dirty streets, traffic and parking problems, rude always angry, jealous people... No economic oppurtunity to get ahead !! Stay Away !!! Just my take on France....( and Italy ).

Old 11-23-2013, 03:16 PM

16,545 posts, read 17,310,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Florida View Post
Stay in TN and take vacations in France. I live on the Italian French Border near Nice...the place is a dump. Nice views, mountains, blue sea...fair weather cool damp winters, warm dry summers....no extreme temps. But.....No civic pride....(and things are even worse in Italy,) Dirty streets, traffic and parking problems, rude always angry, jealous people... No economic oppurtunity to get ahead !! Stay Away !!! Just my take on France....( and Italy ).
So the obvious question is why are you there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe