Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,611 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are going to France this summer. And we are looking for summer jobs in France for 2 month's period. Can anybody help us with links, emails and any other stuff?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
American Village

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
cil
is that the only summer job an American can find in France? are there any better paying French civil service jobs available after 'le copain de George W Bush' was elected France's president?

how about jobs cleaning up all the burned cars and damaged shops after the post election riots?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 05-09-2007 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex19 View Post
My girlfriend and I are going to France this summer. And we are looking for summer jobs in France for 2 month's period. Can anybody help us with links, emails and any other stuff?

Thanks in advance!
Do you speak fluent French , Alex19 ? Otherwise I think you will have quite a lot of problems finding any job , unless you are lucky and find an American company looking for an intern for the summer. Maybe you could try English language schools? Unfortunately 2 months is probably not enough to get you anything terribly well-paid as you will also be competing with French students trying to get a summer job. Maybe the American embassy in Paris would have links for this type of thing ?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 AM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
American Village might be your only hope! As an American, you're not entitled to work in France without a working visa, and they're IMPOSSIBLE to get unless you're in a high-demand professional field and have a firm job offer from a France-based company willing to provide the lengthy legal paperwork. Remember, you're competing for work among French nationals, and French unemployment is high. The pecking order for employment is French nationals first, EU nationals second, and non-EU last. Also be sure your French language skills are up to snuff. As a last resort, you might possibly find a job on the black, illegally, such as washing dishes in a cafe at low pay, poor working conditions and no benefits. Most business owners wouldn't want to take the chance of hiring an illegal and face still fines for themselves. If you're caught you'll be deported and not allowed to return to France for some years. It's not a path I'd recommend.

Have you tried WWOOFing, or any of the websites offering lodging in exchange for work? It could give you the opportunity to have a roof over your head and learn about French culture. Or sign up for a summer course in a French university for the experience. Good luck with your plans.

I see that Alex's post was in 2006, so my reply is after the fact! I hope you found a happy solution, Alex!

Last edited by Bugnubs; 05-09-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: outdated

Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Alex19, C'est impossible de trouver un travail en France.

have you thought about 'house sitting' for an affluent French family?
http://www.housecarers.com/house_sit...experience.cfm

If you google you can find more sites. People do go and spend their summers this way all over the world free of charge and even being paid for house sitting

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 05-09-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post

Have you tried WWOOFing, or any of the websites offering lodging in exchange for work? It could give you the opportunity to have a roof over your head and learn about French culture. Or sign up for a summer course in a French university for the experience. Good luck with your plans.
WOOFing is actually a good idea. I knew someone who did this in New Zealand.
(I think WOOF originated in Australia?)
WOOF
WOOF Independents
I notice that France seems to have a lot of independent WOOF hosts.
However, getting a job for two months in France might limit a person to something like American Village. As Bugnubs said, jobs are limited and without the proper documentation it's not going to be easy (or legal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe