Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

24 posts, read 65,483 times

Advertisements

The problem with this question (the OP) is that economies can rise and fall on a dime. The region still isn't stable. At one time the World Bank actually though Hungary would do well, and had the most promise. The EU is in such turmoil, as well as the US, I wouldn't bet on any of those countries right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranStan View Post
The problem with this question (the OP) is that economies can rise and fall on a dime. The region still isn't stable. At one time the World Bank actually though Hungary would do well, and had the most promise. The EU is in such turmoil, as well as the US, I wouldn't bet on any of those countries right now.
hungary fooled quite a lot of people for quite a while , the curtains came down when the international property bubble burst and the place was exposed for what it was , a spin off of other property booms around europe , british , spanish and especially irish investors thought hungary would emulate thier own property market and ploughed tonnes of money into real estate around budapest , unfortunatley the countrys real economy was in the toilet and its people were leaving in droves so their was no one to live in let alone buy back all that foreign owned property ,foreign investment collapsed and the mess we see since can be traced back

the place is rotten with corruption and has a real miserable vibe about it , cant see it becoming a bright spot anytime soon

Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM

355 posts, read 1,190,173 times
None, people and industries will move south, to the sunny side of the street.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Czech Republic, Poland, Slovenia, Estonia

Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 AM

All those are new countries that just entered market economies, in 1991 they were in 0 and they only had one way to go, UP. But soon, they will be swept by globalization.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
All those are new countries that just entered market economies, in 1991 they were in 0 and they only had one way to go, UP. But soon, they will be swept by globalization.
yep and Poland is now on Portugal level... which shows which country has birghter future and better government

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM

This is the question...Portugal is a mess, Portuguese are a disaster and 20 years ago the country was very poor ...but even being a mess, the country skyrocketed and is well above Poland..without wanting..

Portugal has a future because is one of the few livable countries (weather, people, culture) in Western Europe.

People in Western Europe are old, their joints are cracking, they want to live and have their business in a place with a good weather, temperate climate, similar culture...

The same thing is happening in the US (but they are more advanced in the process), people and industries are moving south and leaving rust and icicles behind.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM

355 posts, read 977,244 times
Quote:
This is the question...Portugal is a mess, Portuguese are a disaster and 20 years ago the country was very poor ...but even being a mess, the country skyrocketed and is well above Poland..without wanting..
You're full of manure...

Let me explain...

Average wages here are 3,415 PLN. This translates to little over $1000/month.

GUS - G

Portugal has an average wage of €894,- which is about $130 more.

But...

Looking at comparative price levels, which can be found in a neat little table produced by the OECD:

Monthly comparative price levels

Poland is at 65, Portugal at 104, if one sets the average of the USA at 100.

This means that $1000 worth in złotych will buy you 40% more in Poland than $1000 worth in Euro in Portugal. Salaries in Poland are on average about 13% lower (this goes for both minimum wage as well as average wage) but this 13% less money will still buy you 25-30% more...

We're not done yet, as this is about average wages...

Folks which are unemployed don't make much in the way of salaries, so let's have a look at the unemployment rate:

Eurostat - Tables, Graphs and Maps Interface (TGM) table

Poland 10,1%
Portugal 15,3% - and rising rather rapidly...

And no, a quickly rising unemployment rate is generally not an indication of a country doing well...

Personally I wouldn't even want to say Poland is on par with Portugal. Personally I think we surpassed Portugal some 3, 4 years ago. And economically we're being hit as well... Our growth will only be 3-3,5% instead of 5-7% what my generation is used to

Quote:
Portugal has a future because is one of the few livable countries (weather, people, culture) in Western Europe.

People in Western Europe are old, their joints are cracking, they want to live and have their business in a place with a good weather, temperate climate, similar culture...
To call Portugal temperate must make Poland look subarctic... The only "temperate" areas in Portugal I can think off are the mountains above Porto (>1000 metres) and the Azores and Madeira. The rest of the country is unbearably hot for a minimum of 4 months/year and in some parts (Algarve) goes up to 7-8 months a year... And with unbearably hot I mean no break from the 27-28C plus weather...

In my opinion, Poland is temperate. Winters around the freezing point, summers around the 20-25C mark. Sure, we could use some of that Portugese sunshine, but honestly, except for the poor sun hours, our climate is great. During winter, cold snaps (below -10C) usually never last for more than a week or two, and during summer, heat waves (25+) ditto. Living in Portugal, I wouldn't see myself getting any proper sleep from April to October because it gets too bloody hot... I'll happily deal with a week or two of -10, -15C weather each year to avoid a month straight 30+

Quote:
The same thing is happening in the US (but they are more advanced in the process), people and industries are moving south and leaving rust and icicles behind.
These are people which are generally not economically active any more. They made their money in the past and are now spending their retirement funds elsewhere. If their pensions take a hit, they will probably not have enough money any more to come down to Portugal and spend it there. You wouldn't want to built your economy on snow birds, as it's not sustainable in the long run... Too many factors you can't control yourself to be dependent on...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times
I agree with ;proterra... Poland is in better state than Portugal which has been EU member for many many years!

The only advatage Portugal has over poland and czech republic is weather during autumn, winter and spring. because polish summers often get over 30C during july and august as well

Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM

27 posts, read 60,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I don't believe in Czech Republic. I think Czech Republic won't grow much more.
If you want to consider just the Central and Eastern EU my bets will be on:
1. Poland
2. Slovakia
3. Romania
I chose the country as my 3rd option because I've been there for 6 months and I absolutely loved it.... Here and here are some photos of the Romanian city I lived in this summer.

Brasov, Romania looks beautiful...and it must look better in the Autumn and Winter ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe