Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Its been almost 6 years since countries like Poland, Czech Rep, Hungary, Lithuania and some other countries entered the European union. Which one of them do you think will perform the best and will be as rich or almost as rich as the western Eu?
Obviously this does not include countries such as Ukraine, Belarus, Macedonia or anything outside Eu because they are much poorer (with exception on norway and switzerland of course
Some of the newer Eu countries are doing well (Poland, czech rep, slovakia) and others are having big difficulties (more eastern countries such as: lithuania, latvia and estonia)
In my opinion Poland and Chech republic have the brighest future and will continiue to grow and improve quality of living.
Poland is 11th most educated country in the world and thats a big advantage and it borders with richer Germany.
czech republic also has rich neighbors (Germany and Austria) and Prague is already extremely popular with tourist and all the buildings look beautiful, you wouldnt be able to notice that not so long ago it was a quiet poor country.
Warsaw (poland capital) has more modern feel and its looks a bit less European, more like a decent size American city.

Moderator cut: please do not post copyrighted images

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-29-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM

121 posts, read 339,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Hi all
Its been almost 6 years since countries like Poland, Czech Rep, Hungary, Lithuania and some other countries entered the European union. Which one of them do you think will perform the best and will be as rich or almost as rich as the western Eu?
Obviously this does not include countries such as Ukraine, Belarus, Macedonia or anything outside Eu because they are much poorer (with exception on norway and switzerland of course
Some of the newer Eu countries are doing well (Poland, czech rep, slovakia) and others are having big difficulties (more eastern countries such as: lithuania, latvia and estonia)
In my opinion Poland and Chech republic have the brighest future and will continiue to grow and improve quality of living.
Poland is 11th most educated country in the world and thats a big advantage and it borders with richer Germany.
czech republic also has rich neighbors (Germany and Austria) and Prague is already extremely popular with tourist and all the buildings look beautiful, you wouldnt be able to notice that not so long ago it was a quiet poor country.
Warsaw (poland capital) has more modern feel and its looks a bit less European, more like a decent size American city.
Sounds like you've come to a conclusion already

Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
You got it right. Poland and the Czech republic have the largest increase in standard of living. However, Slovenia is the most livable post-communistic country (Well, UN says). In Prague, there is a massive improvement in building refurbishment, so is in other Czech cities. I'm sure that this is going on in Poland too. However, I can't tell you very much about Poland, since I spent only two days there. The worst economies are in some Baltic countries (Albania, Bosna and Herzegovina) and in far eastern Europe - Latvia, Ukraine, Belorussia... I am from Prague, if you need any specific information, PM me.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
You got it right. Poland and the Czech republic have the largest increase in standard of living. However, Slovenia is the most livable post-communistic country (Well, UN says). In Prague, there is a massive improvement in building refurbishment, so is in other Czech cities. I'm sure that this is going on in Poland too. However, I can't tell you very much about Poland, since I spent only two days there. The worst economies are in some Baltic countries (Albania, Bosna and Herzegovina) and in far eastern Europe - Latvia, Ukraine, Belorussia... I am from Prague, if you need any specific information, PM me.
I think you meant Balkans, not Baltic (which are doing pretty alright for themselves).

Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times
Baltic countires have a lot of problems now, i bielieve that Lithuania had something like -20% Pkb last year and poverty is actually on the rise.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 AM

248 posts, read 615,856 times
Eslovenia.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you meant Balkans, not Baltic (which are doing pretty alright for themselves).
Yes, I meant Balkans. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM

324 posts, read 668,831 times
Out of the possibilities given by the OP, I believe The Czech Republic has the brightest future followed with Poland for second.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
I don't believe in Czech Republic. I think Czech Republic won't grow much more.
If you want to consider just the Central and Eastern EU my bets will be on:
1. Poland
2. Slovakia
3. Romania
The neighbors of one country are not that important in Europe. For example a lot of German companies have their operations in Romania instead of Poland (mine included). I chose the country as my 3rd option because I've been there for 6 months and I absolutely loved it and also because Romania has the chance to become a hub between Turkey, Russia and the EU (just like Austria is the hub between East and West) (it was like that before the 2nd world war and the communism).
Also Bulgaria can do well and they already have some smart policies to be competitive in that region where Romania was the star before the recession.
Countries that won't do very well in the near future:
1. Hungary (Hungary had problems even when it was part of the Eastern Block because of it's dumb economic policies)
2,3,4. The Baltic countries.
Here and here are some photos of the Romanian city I lived in this summer.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM

344 posts, read 462,309 times
Out of the countries in Eastern Europe that are in the EU, I think the Czech Republic has the brightest future . Looking long term at the whole of Eastern Europe, I think Russia has the brightest future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe