Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM

103 posts, read 205,153 times

Advertisements

thanks...just curious...any crime in dublin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,832 times
Ummm....oh no. No crime in Dublin, ever. It's filled with angelic lepracauns who do nothing wrong.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM

103 posts, read 205,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Ummm....oh no. No crime in Dublin, ever. It's filled with angelic lepracauns who do nothing wrong.
thanks smart ass

Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersguy31 View Post
thanks smart ass
you have to admit that asking if there is any crime in a big city is rather naive.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Yes, there are immigrants in Ireland, and anyone returning to Dublin after an absence of many years will immediately notice the contrast with the past. Many are Slavic or Baltic, but there are immigrants from all over the world there now.

When I was in Cork City last, a couple of summers ago, my impression was that the church congregations were geriatric Irish and the only young people and young families were Polish, not Irish. Also in the churches a few signs were in Polish and a couple of cult statues were there clearly catering to them. I heard Polish being spoken in the working class lunch places, and saw signs on the street in Polish indicating clubs, etc.

A surge of prosperity brought noisy, showy lifestyles and crime to Ireland, and especially Dublin...so much so that several crime authors set their crime novels there. Prostitution, drug peddling, drug addiction, burglarly, murder, and drug gang violence are now a feature of life in the city.

All said, however, crime in Dublin, providing you stay out of dicy neighborhoods is no problem for visitors.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Loads of immigrants. Very diverse! And yes, typical drug/prostitution/gang related problems...just like anyplace, really.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 AM

17 posts, read 91,084 times
Wait... are you implying that immigrants and and higher rates of crime are related? Sir, you are mistaken. The only thing immigrants add is an enrichment to the decadent and immoral Irish culture. Once non–white immigrants outnumber the natives there will be a perfect, cosmopolitan, and diverse society.

/sarcasm

Old 04-03-2010, 01:46 AM

148 posts, read 308,374 times
Quote:
Immigrants and crime are not neccesarly related.

Off the top of my head I think recent immigrants make up about 15% of the population.

Dublin is a major European city, of course there is crime. As a tourist or an ordinary Joe/Jane soap mugging/robbery/rape probably not on the higher side, better than most places. I always feel safe walking around Dublin when I visit the capital. Gangland shootings and raids on security vans has grown greatly over the last 10 years. Highest murder rate in Western Europe, up from lowest in 10 years!!! As a tourist or an ordinary Joe Soap its not going to affect you. Just gangland scum killing each other.

Ireland is really safe for tourists.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 53,347 times
There are quite a few from Poland there in Dublin, I've been told. I'm going to be getting lessons from a native speaker that lives there while I'm there this summer, so that's definitely the case.

And considering I've been told by my professors (that have been there) that I'm likely to be mistaken for an African on sight until I speak, I think it's safe to say that there are probably quite a few there from that region also :P I imagine it's a little like some of the urban areas of France that I've heard of - there's a mixture of people living there from quite a few areas.

And of course, the cities are more cosmopolitan than the rural areas, which are described as being more homogeneous. Depends on where you are And like anywhere else where there are lively cities, you'd have your share of crime there, regardless of the demographics present. That said, however, like kevxu said, it's not that big of a thing to worry about unless you're just in a bad area - but again, that's just like with everywhere else. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe