Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 AM

270 posts, read 502,080 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a female college student, majoring in Secondary Education/ English, from the Gulf Coast area. After the oil spill, I would really like to get out for a while, and I would like some information on France, in particular. I would really like to travel there and maybe even go to school to improve my French, but I guess that would be kind of expensive. I have a really tight budget. I would still like some information, though. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,123,150 times
Try this website:
Americans in Toulouse - Home
It's an english speaking community in Toulouse with a wealth of info that maybe you can use.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM

90 posts, read 292,654 times
Regarding school in France... Studying abroad and language schools can be pretty expensive, depending on the program. If your French ability is good enough to directly enroll in a French university, you would pay the same fees as the French students (approximately 300-500 Euros for a year.) For more info on studying in France, check out the CampusFrance website. As you are currently a student, I would start by checking with the study abroad office at your school and see what sort of options they have.
http://usa.campusfrance.org/

For something less extreme than enrolling yourself in a French university, there are the very reputable Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne, which are French language and culture classes affiliated with the Sorbonne. They have sessions ranging from 1 to 4 months depending on the time of year.
http://www.ccfs-sorbonne.fr/

I spent 11 months in Paris as a student at the Sorbonne, so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,034,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Hi, I'm a female college student, majoring in Secondary Education/ English, from the Gulf Coast area. After the oil spill, I would really like to get out for a while, and I would like some information on France, in particular. I would really like to travel there and maybe even go to school to improve my French, but I guess that would be kind of expensive. I have a really tight budget. I would still like some information, though. Thank you.
France is a kind of a crappy country. Here's why:

1) Food. Day 1 at a French restaurant. I wanted to go to the American food place, "Buffalo Grill", but my teacher (this was a French class trip) made us go to a FRENCH restaurant. And boy, I was in for it! "Escargot" is snails, and "Grenouille" is frog, and they were both on the menu! I, of course, ordered one of the few things I could understand on the menu, a sort of steak, and it was crappy. I can't even begin to say how disgusted I was eating at a smokey restaurant that had frogs and snails on the menu. I don't want frogs or snails to even be near my food! I like Red Lobster, Chili's, Applebee's, and most of all, Cheesecake Factory. The whole rest of the trip I sneaked out of every restaurant we went to or told the teacher I was sick, and ate at McDonalds.

2) Attractions. There are NO good tourist attractions in France. Nothing to compare with Disney World, Cedar Point, Universal Orlando, or Six Flags. Nothing at all! Only museums and old buildings. Want to see dead artists' work? Then the Loov or Musee Dorsay is where it's at. But if you're like me, and want to ride rollercoasters or slide down water slides, don't even think about going to France.

3) People. The French people DON'T understand English, even if you yell it at them, which I did several times. Everybody knows English today! Worse, I got a lot of bad looks. They never smile over there.

(Note: the above post was a joke)

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,025,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

1) Food. Day 1 at a French restaurant. I wanted to go to the American food place, "Buffalo Grill", but my teacher (this was a French class trip) made us go to a FRENCH restaurant. And boy, I was in for it! "Escargot" is snails, and "Grenouille" is frog, and they were both on the menu! I, of course, ordered one of the few things I could understand on the menu, a sort of steak, and it was crappy. I can't even begin to say how disgusted I was eating at a smokey restaurant that had frogs and snails on the menu. I don't want frogs or snails to even be near my food! I like Red Lobster, Chili's, Applebee's, and most of all, Cheesecake Factory. The whole rest of the trip I sneaked out of every restaurant we went to or told the teacher I was sick, and ate at McDonalds.

2) Attractions. There are NO good tourist attractions in France. Nothing to compare with Disney World, Cedar Point, Universal Orlando, or Six Flags. Nothing at all! Only museums and old buildings. Want to see dead artists' work? Then the Loov or Musee Dorsay is where it's at. But if you're like me, and want to ride rollercoasters or slide down water slides, don't even think about going to France.

3) People. The French people DON'T understand English, even if you yell it at them, which I did several times. Everybody knows English today! Worse, I got a lot of bad looks. They never smile over there.

You are my hero!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Well, I wish my French was really good. I can understand a few words, but I do a lot better when I see it in writing than if it's just being spoken to me. If I knew really good French, I could enroll with the French education system and do a little student teaching with them. Also, yes, a French university would be the way to go if I knew good French. Maybe I should look into investing in some language learning software, like Rossetta Stone, eh?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,837,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Well, I wish my French was really good. I can understand a few words, but I do a lot better when I see it in writing than if it's just being spoken to me. If I knew really good French, I could enroll with the French education system and do a little student teaching with them. Also, yes, a French university would be the way to go if I knew good French. Maybe I should look into investing in some language learning software, like Rossetta Stone, eh?
Speaking French 101.

1. Find a way to be in France for at least 3 months.

2. Avoid English language TV, books, radio, newspapers and English speaking people like the plague.

3. Find a French boy/girl friend. Make sure they understand that you are not to be spoken to in English.

4. Always remember that, in the English language, there is usually a word for everything that come from a Franco-Latin root (e.g. table, bottle, casserole, etc.). Think about that, find the word and say it with a French accent. Works 75% of the time.

5. Lose your linguistic inhibitions. The French don't mind you making mistakes. They will appreciate the effort and work with you.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Those sound like good suggestions. Maybe I should think about hanging out at the French libraries or cafes and talking to some of the local college students. Perhaps I should sign up for a study abroad and join some kind of French book club or something. After I get to France, I guess my teachers may have some suggestions.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,123,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

I hear ya, bro. I done spent too days in Paris, went to some bars and couldn't find any place that serves Bud Light.
I think they must be a lotta wussies. Sure ain't too many guys with buzz cuts or shaved heads.
That french food sure ain't for civilized people.
Boy, wus I ever glad to get home and enjoy the family size can of Chef Boy Ardee Beefaroni.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM

321 posts, read 956,876 times
Have you been to France before? If you are not already familiar with the country, this should possibly be a two step/two trip process. The first part would be to get an overview of a few areas -- Paris of course, but also some of the major university cities like Montpellier, Rennes, Aix-en-Provence, Toulouse or Grenoble. Each has its own ambience and could appeal to you or not. Life outside of Paris is not necessarily expensive at all on the condition that you learn to adapt to French ways for certain things and do not try to live the same way as at home. If you find a place you like, you could consider enrolling in some university programs. With a student visa, you are even allowed to work part time if you need extra money -- and working would certainly improve your French must faster than many other ways you can spend your day.

My own recommendation: Montpellier or Toulouse

p.s. Just to prove that anything is possible if you want to make it happen, my original home town is Long Beach, Mississippi, not too terribly far from Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe