Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

253 posts, read 1,306,066 times

Advertisements

It has become impossible. With everyone using iPods these days, we can forget about striking up a conversation with someone who catches our eye!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
Well I dunno about you but...I personally go to the gym to work out. I don't really want anyone hitting on me or even thinking about it when I'm sweaty, huffy, and red-faced. Might want to re-think your strategy of finding someone, mate! Maybe somewhere where people are dressed in regular clothes and not feeling beads of sweat popping out on their forehead.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 PM

But I am always told to go places where people share my interests. Hence, the gym!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
Well, clearly it is not working very well. I'd suggest running in the park or a bike trail next time.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM

60 posts, read 163,204 times
People who run in the park or ride ride a bike on a bike trail is even less likely to pay attention to anyone seeking them out. And odds are likely that they would have ipods as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Where they will also be wearing headphones. Sigh.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Its always tough meeting singles (flirting) at the gym and usually not a very good idea especially if you are a guy. Women will probably start to think of you as "the creepy guy" unless you look like Brad Pitt and then they'll think you are "a no good flirty jerk".

Maybe if you take one of the classes your gym offers or if your gym has a lounge things may be easier. I was actually always flattered when a woman would come up to me to strike up a conversation because I knew sometimes they were flirting, but I usually had a girlfriend with me so I paid little attention but was always polite.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,831 times
I am married and a regular at my gym, and I have to say it disgusts me the number of men who are clearly there to hit on women. I agree that you should try to meet people where they are more likely to share your interests, but don't think the gym is the best place for that. I am not speaking for all gyms, but the one I go to the "creepy guy" is more abundant than the "nice guy". I used to go in the evening, but switched to the morning, as it is mostly moms/women at that time. People should be free to work out without being starred at or approached. You might be surprised by the number of guys I have seen flirting with women only to bring their wife/girlfriend with them at a later date. So, a word to the wise, if you do meet someone and they say they are single, don't assume they actually are.
If you are interested in fitness and would like to meet someone who also is, taking exercise classes could be a better option. People tend to chat before and after class and there is no need for headphones. This way you aren't interfering with anyones workout and it can make it easier to strike up a conversation without being the "creepy guy/girl".

Good luck meeting someone, just be careful!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
the gym really isnt a singles place. I go to the gym to work out, not to meet and flirt with people. tlb71 is right, its disgusting when men try to hit on women at the gym. My ex girlfriend got hit on all the time at the gym and she hated it. Actually, I think she hated it when guys she considered unattractive hit on her, but when guys she considered hot hit on her she was flattered - go figure.

Go to some of the group classes where you can strike up a conversation before or after and see what happens. Or visit the lounge and have a smoothie.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

186 posts, read 549,380 times
Warning a gym is like a fire house. Soon your name will get around. It's just best to go there and workout. I do have small chat with males and females. I met most of my friends at the gym. You got to be careful some will talk your ear off. I use headphones so that doesn't happen.

I remember a one time a girl was getting a divorce. Everyone know it. It was like a free for all with guys hounding her. I felt bad for her. She started going later in the night after that.

Best of luck, just go with the flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness