Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do YOU, personally, stay/get in shape?
Gym / fitness club 30 65.22%
Biking (road) 15 32.61%
Biking (mountain) 8 17.39%
Hiking 12 26.09%
DDR 2 4.35%
Home gym / lifting weights 19 41.30%
Running / joggng 25 54.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

sex
tae kwon do
cycling
exercises w/o weights (parallel dips, chinups, pushups, crunches)
fasting
wind sprints
static and dynamic stretching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM

229 posts, read 416,496 times
I just joined a really cool martial arts gym. It's great.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM

43 posts, read 109,891 times
I run once a day for about an hour and I usually do push ups, crunches etc. at home. I also took a close look at my eating habits. I found that I was eating more than I needed to be full. Just by changing my portion sizes and running an hour a day I've lost 25 lbs in 2 months.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 AM

25 posts, read 63,506 times
I am blessed, because I put on the weight very fast, and can shed it off by mere walking all the way to my office, which is about 2 kilometers away from my home. I drink a lot of water, which flushes out my kidneys and avoid sugar.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
I am going to respectfully disagree 1000%. I wouldn't consider DDR to be the most optimal way to get in shape, but I have to say that the person who made this poll definitely indirectly brought up a great point. It's that people need to enjoy working out in order to stay consistent. Someone who tries running and hates it isn't going to gain as much out of it in the long run as someone who uses DDR.
This is an excellent point that cannot be overstated. If you don't like doing something, you won't continue. So whether it's the most effective way to burn calories and stay in shape is irrelevant. When it comes to cardio, there's a big debate in fitness circles over whether interval training is better than steady-state cardio. But here's something that gets lost in the debate. Some people like one form of cardio and hate the other. I'm someone who does both, but I much prefer steady-state. I know and agree with all the reasons why one should do interval training. But if that were the only form of cardio I was ever allowed to do, I'd probably stop doing it.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I'm walking (treadmill at home and also outside), jogging, stretching, and doing exercise videos at home (using my body weight, dumbbells, and resistence bands for weight resistence).

I'm losing weight (about 40 pounds so far, with 40 more to go) and I'm in better shape (fitness-wise) than I was 4 months ago, but I still have a loooooong way to go before I'd consider myself anything close to "in shape."

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is an excellent point that cannot be overstated. If you don't like doing something, you won't continue. So whether it's the most effective way to burn calories and stay in shape is irrelevant. When it comes to cardio, there's a big debate in fitness circles over whether interval training is better than steady-state cardio. But here's something that gets lost in the debate. Some people like one form of cardio and hate the other. I'm someone who does both, but I much prefer steady-state. I know and agree with all the reasons why one should do interval training. But if that were the only form of cardio I was ever allowed to do, I'd probably stop doing it.
This is so true. I know I get bored easily so I have to continuously mix things up.

This morning for instance, I went to Malibu and ran eleven 80 meter full speed sprints on the sand with 90 seconds of rest in between. Different scenery and different type of workout really helps keep things interesting.

When I woke up this morning, I walked into the garage/gym, looked around and said "Nah, I dont feel like doing any of this stuff" so I jumped in the car and headed to the beach.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
I do crossfit 5 times a week and yoga 2 times a week. I am also very active with my children and enjoy running and swimming. My diet is clean and full of fresh fruit and veggies.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Default My keys to success

Here's my basic philosophy that works for me (5'10", 175lbs, visible abs, age 35):

1 - well rounded workout routine...2 days of all-out sprinting, 2 days of weights (centered around compound powerlifting moves), 1 day of 3.5 mile run, per week.

2 - eat healthy during the week, enjoy yourself on the weekends.

3 - no alcohol on "school nights" (except special occasions).

I am married and have a 1 year old toddler, so I invested in olympic weight set, bench, rack for my house. My wife travels for work a few times a month, so this is necessary.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How do YOU, personally, stay in shape - or get there?

I ride my bike and walk a lot. I haven't stepped foot in a "gym" for exercise purposes and don't want to.
my boyfriend has a workout gym at the apts he lives at, also a swimming pool
I work out with him
OMG I love it
I also exercise on my machine at home to and do pilates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness