Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times

Advertisements

"She later noticed he was back inside the fitness center looking at her.
Officers placed Holtz in custody and were putting his gym bag in the trunk of his car when they discovered an open bag with a gun inside."

Armed man arrested in LA Fitness parking lot in Collier - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

LOL...I should not be laughing but I could not help but think of this thread...That is the same gym where that nutjob killed three people because women 20 years his junior would not date him. He was staring too. Starejobs are weirdos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
"She later noticed he was back inside the fitness center looking at her.
Officers placed Holtz in custody and were putting his gym bag in the trunk of his car when they discovered an open bag with a gun inside."

Armed man arrested in LA Fitness parking lot in Collier - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

LOL...I should not be laughing but I could not help but think of this thread...That is the same gym where that nutjob killed three people because women 20 years his junior would not date him. He was staring too. Starejobs are weirdos.
OK let me see if I have this straight. An overweight woman creates a thread in which she notes she has started working out in order to lose weight, wants to learn about doing specific things for herself, but also she feels uncomfortable in the gym.

So instead of being productive and answering a woman who straight up posted asking for help, you decide to post a freak story about a gym murderer and would-murderer... one in a billion stories... because you want to appear smart or clever.

And you are quick to point out how funny it is, your posting on this thread, that you are laughing about it. If this woman stops going to the gym altogether thanks to you, so be it. Because you appeared smart and clever, who cares about other people's lives. You are laughing anyway, and that's all that counts.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
OK let me see if I have this straight. An overweight woman creates a thread in which she notes she has started working out in order to lose weight, wants to learn about doing specific things for herself, but also she feels uncomfortable in the gym.

So instead of being productive and answering a woman who straight up posted asking for help, you decide to post a freak story about a gym murderer and would-murderer... one in a billion stories... because you want to appear smart or clever.

And you are quick to point out how funny it is, your posting on this thread, that you are laughing about it. If this woman stops going to the gym altogether thanks to you, so be it. Because you appeared smart and clever, who cares about other people's lives. You are laughing anyway, and that's all that counts.

Onglet I find your post funny chastizing pitt transplants post. Your posts to my thread never addressed my question on delts either, but instead chastized me for not liking starejobs or being talked down to at the gym and saying I had a defeatest attitude and such. And basically just telling me what a loser I am (even though I haven't given up the gym and do 1.5 hours every other day at the gym plus 1 hour of Chi Kung on alternate days...not exactly giving up on exercise now am I?)

Pitts' post does prove a point that yes some of those starers can be nutjobs. Nutjobs can be in any place. I question anyone's intentions when I see them watch me too long. Years ago I had a complete stranger stalk me after he approached me in a video store because of the martial arts school t-shirt I was wearing. He followed me around from one martial arts school to another after I started going somewhere else. No he didn't attend class he just called both schools a lot and went into the 2nd school looking for me, called my work & home. He stalked me for 2 years before I moved away.

So yeppers I have a real issue with nutjobs who stare me down at the gym or anywhere else. They seem a little more obvious at the gym because most normal people at the gym are watching themselves to see their form, are watching the many tv monitors or displays on the bikes and treadmills or they are kinda zoning out into outer space as they focus on their lifting, their breath and so forth. So you can see someone is doing something out of place when they follow you with their eyes as you move around.

Back to the question at hand... my delts... I've found some Hammer Strength machines that maybe address the delts in a better or different way than the nautilus type machine. I felt a little stronger in my delts this last time though the amount of weight I could move didn't change. I don't know any free weight lifts for the delts.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Onglet I find your post funny chastizing pitt transplants post. Your posts to my thread never addressed my question on delts either, but instead chastized me for not liking starejobs or being talked down to at the gym and saying I had a defeatest attitude and such. And basically just telling me what a loser I am (even though I haven't given up the gym and do 1.5 hours every other day at the gym plus 1 hour of Chi Kung on alternate days...not exactly giving up on exercise now am I?)

Pitts' post does prove a point that yes some of those starers can be nutjobs. Nutjobs can be in any place. I question anyone's intentions when I see them watch me too long. Years ago I had a complete stranger stalk me after he approached me in a video store because of the martial arts school t-shirt I was wearing. He followed me around from one martial arts school to another after I started going somewhere else. No he didn't attend class he just called both schools a lot and went into the 2nd school looking for me, called my work & home. He stalked me for 2 years before I moved away.

So yeppers I have a real issue with nutjobs who stare me down at the gym or anywhere else. They seem a little more obvious at the gym because most normal people at the gym are watching themselves to see their form, are watching the many tv monitors or displays on the bikes and treadmills or they are kinda zoning out into outer space as they focus on their lifting, their breath and so forth. So you can see someone is doing something out of place when they follow you with their eyes as you move around.

Back to the question at hand... my delts... I've found some Hammer Strength machines that maybe address the delts in a better or different way than the nautilus type machine. I felt a little stronger in my delts this last time though the amount of weight I could move didn't change. I don't know any free weight lifts for the delts.
Kindly quote posts #10 and #11 on this thread, before I bother with your post beyond the bolded... I addressed your delts directly twice, and now you are either ignoring that or are lying.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 07-01-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 PM

83 posts, read 147,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I mean harder to develop than other muscles? I've been working out for awhile at the gym, but I've noticed I after many weeks I still can't lift anymore with my delts than I could the first day I started at the gym. Yet I've progressed quite well in the amounts I can lift with every other body part. Is there something special I should know about Delts? Is it just a part hard for women to strengthen?
Lifting weights to build shoulder muscles seems to be one of the more difficult. When I started weightlifting (over a year ago, took a break in between), I could barely lift a 12 pound dumbbell when doing military presses and front raises. I would do 3 sets, and try to go as high as fifteen repetitions. I could barely keep perfect form even by the fifth repetition.

For me, the key was to increase the weights and do lower reps. So, even if I could manage only six repetitions with a 15 pound dumbbell, that was what I would do, and repeat two to three sets. The deltoid muscles have been increasing quite steadily ever since.

So if you are currently using ten pound dumbbells, increase it by about 2 to 2.5 pounds, and do ten reps or less.

Some free weights shoulder exercises that I do:
- Overhead presses
- Heavy one arm laterals
- Military presses with barbell
- Upright row with barbell

You could google each, there are websites that would probably show you how to execute them correctly, with pictures, as opposed to my describing it here.

Good luck with those deltoids

Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

I just thought it was funny and SOME people have a sense a humor and would enjoy it because of the attitude of "no one stares". Yeh right.
And its funny that I just came across it in the news.

If someone stops going to the gym because of something I said...thats probably good because they need to go to a shrink instead. Spend that money on the couch to fix what is not adult/right yet.

So mtneer...were you sleeping with a bat and knife last night in fear of the boogity man?
LOL

PLEASE
Btw I already made my "consructive posts"
You on the other hand just barked about how "its easy" for you and then told someone off.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Ok, I get stared at ALL the time at the gym, old guys, young guys, whether my husband is with me, whether my daughter is with me whatever. Oh well who cares?? I have done my share of staring as well. I mean, maybe people are thinking the same thing, wow she keeps staring.

I too said years ago that delts were hard to build. I also, many years ago, stuck to the machines and away from the free weights where the scary big muscle men worked out at.

Nowadays I work out right there with them and guess what? They're not so scary. ITS ALL IN YOUR MIND. Just hold your head up, say excuse me, and go get some dumbbells and a bench. Its not that hard, my 14 year old does it without a second thought. And yes, free weights isolate the muscle better and therefore are more effective then machines.

Side lat raise is good for side delts and Front shoulder raise is good for front delts...there are many examples out there, this is just a couple simple ones to start with.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I just thought it was funny and SOME people have a sense a humor and would enjoy it because of the attitude of "no one stares". Yeh right.
And its funny that I just came across it in the news.

If someone stops going to the gym because of something I said...thats probably good because they need to go to a shrink instead. Spend that money on the couch to fix what is not adult/right yet.

So mtneer...were you sleeping with a bat and knife last night in fear of the boogity man?
LOL

PLEASE
Btw I already made my "consructive posts"
You on the other hand just barked about how "its easy" for you and then told someone off.
Nah, you are just one of those google-happy folk who has no life, so instead of actually "doing" something you are constantly trawling the web for links to post. You believe it makes you appear authoritative, but really you are achieving the opposite effect.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 PM

No. I think it was funny. But you basically make useless rude posts because you have such a life and such a great attitude....so you are going on ignore.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
No. I think it was funny. But you basically make useless rude posts because you have such a life and such a great attitude....so you are going on ignore.
No link to speak for you? Google must be broken today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness