Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far. People who don't exercise usually don't consider it a high enough priority to find the time and effort to do it. But there may be other things in their life that they have plenty of motivation to do. I've met people who are very driven in their jobs or school, but don't exercise simply because it's not that important to them.
Everyone I know of that is extremely motivated in their work also works out even if its during their lunch break going for a run or before or after work. That's just what I've seen.

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Just because you're fat doesn't mean you'd automatically prefer someone who's fat. What you're attracted to is usually out of your control and isn't always influenced by what you look like. There are plenty of people who are fat, but still prefer someone who isn't. And while it's easy to assume that someone's who fit would prefer someone who's also fit, I've seen plenty of examples where a fit person wasn't too concerned about their partner being as fit.
I only see fit people hanging out with other fit people and fat people hanging out with other fat people. There was even a study done a couple years ago that found who you spend your time with will determine what your weight is. I can't say I've ever seen a muscular lean person running around with someone who is terribly obese. I find the obese people I know won't hardly leave the house unless its to eat out or go to grocery store. Fit people tend to be more active and tend to want to go out and do more than eat. As I've lost weight I have seen this that my overweight friends don't want to do anything I want to do like walk, hike, go to the gym or anything else you could do to socialize with another other than go out to eat at a fast food place. Seriously all my heavy friends want to do is eat out at FAST FOOD...my relatives are same way. They cringe if I say I'd prefer to go to a place that serves vegetables along with the meal. That's when I started noticing in town all the fit people run around together and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Just because you're fat doesn't mean you'd automatically prefer someone who's fat. What you're attracted to is usually out of your control and isn't always influenced by what you look like. There are plenty of people who are fat, but still prefer someone who isn't. And while it's easy to assume that someone's who fit would prefer someone who's also fit, I've seen plenty of examples where a fit person wasn't too concerned about their partner being as fit.
Yup, you're 100% correct. I enjoy running/hiking/etc and staying in shape, but that is MY endeavor, and whether or not my parents does is up to him. It's not a make or break thing for me in my attraction for someone. My husband is extraordinarily busy at the moment and doesn't wish to make the time to work out--that's fine.

Now, I will say...healthy eating is important to me and I think it would be harder for me to deal with someone that ate junk all the time. It would be difficult to think of meals/dinners with someone that wants to eat completely different than you. Luckily, my husband and I have the same taste in food.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
As long as he can maintain a healthy weight, I don't have a preference either way.

If a man works out a lot, good for him! I'm sure he looks great, and dedication is a good quality to have.

BUT I can also understand being really busy and feeling too wiped out at the end of the day to want to go to the gym. That's me 90% of the time. If this is the case for the guy in question, as long as he keeps his weight under control through proper diet, I'm fine with it.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I once dated a personal trainer with an amazing body. He thought he was so hawt. He felt his body earned him the right to be disgusted by anyone that did not measure up to his standards. He expressed nothing but contempt for his overweight clients and said the most horrible things about them. He'd tell me how disgusting it was to see cellulite on the thighs of his female clients, stuff like that. What a jerk. This was his profession! It really turned me off.

He wasn't nearly as hot as he thought he was: beside being an a-hole, he was short, bald, had a small thingy (and worse, he didn't know how to use it), and was underemployed.
LOL! This sounds like a few guys I've met. So shallow and yet no real reason to be! And making fun of his clients says a lot about him. Real Women have Cellulite, even the skinny ones! No surgery, diet or exercise can get rid of it totally if one is unlucky enough to inherit those bad genes.

To answer the OP's question: I think it's great any effort a guy puts forth to stay in shape! Much more appreciated than a couch potato, even if going to the gym 4x a week doesn't get you the body of an Adonis (which usually requires great genes and possible steroid usage). Healthy is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I only see fit people hanging out with other fit people and fat people hanging out with other fat people. There was even a study done a couple years ago that found who you spend your time with will determine what your weight is.
I really agree with this. I can see this everywhere I go. Sometimes I think that those who are larger feel more comfortable with their own, or like you say, all they want to do is go out to eat. I personally would get bored with that very quickly.

Last edited by ladysovereign; 07-11-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I don't work out to impress women; impressing a woman is the least of my concerns. I work out for my health and wellness. It baffles me why guys would work out to get women to notice them, that's stupid

Yea but when they do notice it sure feels good.

I'm like you, I could care less about what people think about me but it sure keeps me on track when they do notice.

busta

Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Over the past few weeks I've been going to a gym on a regular basis of about 4 days a week. I've noticed that I've begun to gain quite a bit of muscle (well, more than when I started)

My goal is to have more confidence and a body that women will find more attractive than what I have presently. Attaining the physique of a Greek God may be unrealistic, but I would like to be have nice firm toned muscles and be able to bench press a hell of a lot more then what I do now

Women, whats your opinion of men who work out regularly?
I think if you are doing it for you, then great.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Over the past few weeks I've been going to a gym on a regular basis of about 4 days a week. I've noticed that I've begun to gain quite a bit of muscle (well, more than when I started)

My goal is to have more confidence and a body that women will find more attractive than what I have presently. Attaining the physique of a Greek God may be unrealistic, but I would like to be have nice firm toned muscles and be able to bench press a hell of a lot more then what I do now

Women, whats your opinion of men who work out regularly?
I think being fit and toned is attractive. I don't see anything wrong with working out regularly; my husband and I lift weights together two or three times a week, and we go for walks and hikes together. We both enjoy that a lot. Some guys can be self-absorbed muscleheads, which is a turn-off, but if you aren't one of them, you'll be fine.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Everyone I know of that is extremely motivated in their work also works out even if its during their lunch break going for a run or before or after work. That's just what I've seen.
I've seen people like that, but I've also seen people who were the opposite. In my field, I frequently encounter people who work long hours to make extra money. What they don't do is eat healthy or exercise. So even though they're well off financially, they're in pretty poor health. I wouldn't be surprised if they develop a heart condition later in life.

Quote:
I only see fit people hanging out with other fit people and fat people hanging out with other fat people. There was even a study done a couple years ago that found who you spend your time with will determine what your weight is. I can't say I've ever seen a muscular lean person running around with someone who is terribly obese.
What that study you're referring to is saying is that people tend to be influenced by the people they spend time with. Imagine a guy who works in construction while his wife works as a receptionist. In this case, the husband doesn't want to eat healthy making it hard for his wife to want to do so as well. But because he burns so many more calories at his job than she does, he could end up being fit while she'd be overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Now, I will say...healthy eating is important to me and I think it would be harder for me to deal with someone that ate junk all the time. It would be difficult to think of meals/dinners with someone that wants to eat completely different than you.
Certainly it's harder to maintain good habits if you're partner doesn't have the same interest. In the example I gave above, the wife might want to eat healthy, but her husband comes home with pizza and beer and shuns eating grilled chicken and vegetables. Because he's not overweight, he doesn't see the point.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM

181 posts, read 598,511 times
I didn't read every post, but i skimmed through all of them and it's truly sad to see all of the stereotypes in here. Just becuase a guy likes to take care of his body and look good, it doesn't make him vain or self-absorbed. Would you rather he just let himself go, ate whatever he wanted, and was out of shape?

Come on, only fat people hang out with fat people and only "fit" people with "fit people". Look at how ridiculous that comment is.

I could probably go on and on and on and on, but I am going to end it by saying I workout 4 times a week and it has transformed me as a person. Not only do I think I look better, but I also feel a lot better than when I wasn't working out. Also, who cares if someone works out to impress girls? In the end, all it will do is give them more confidence; it's not like a guy who works out automatically gets more girls than a guy who doesn't workout.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post

Come on, only fat people hang out with fat people and only "fit" people with "fit people". Look at how ridiculous that comment is.
How is that ridiculous? It's not a comment; it's an observation. I've never seen an athletic person hanging out in town with someone who is obese. Even at the gym the really in shape dedicated people are seen together and the newbies who are very overweight cluster together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness