Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
How is that ridiculous? It's not a comment; it's an observation. I've never seen an athletic person hanging out in town with someone who is obese. Even at the gym the really in shape dedicated people are seen together and the newbies who are very overweight cluster together.
I think it's an issue of phrasing. Your original statement made it seem like this was true across the board when I think what you really meant to say is that this is what you've observed, which is not say that there aren't exceptions out there. You just haven't seen them. However, some of us have. But it's never anything extreme. For example, I've never seen someone who was totally ripped with someone who was morbidly obese. But I have seen people who were in pretty good shape with people who were slightly overweight. It happens, but it's not that common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
One woman's opinion:

I've got a lot of respect and admiration for men (and women!) who work out in order to be more healthy and fit--and to maintain their wellness.

If men work out only to hook women and to pump their muscles...yawn.

Exercise for yourself, not for others.

Exercise, to me, is part and parcel of a healthy lifestyle...and those are the kind of people I admire.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
One woman's opinion:

I've got a lot of respect and admiration for men (and women!) who work out in order to be more healthy and fit--and to maintain their wellness.

If men work out only to hook women and to pump their muscles...yawn.

If a guy did do that I personally wouldn't be down on him for that. Most everyone wants to be wanted, wants a gf or bf and there are many single people out there. So if a guy has already tried every other avenue to win a gal and is not being successful then what is wrong with him pumping muscle for the main reason of trying to attract women? Hey if nothing else he will get healthier for it and not be yet another drain on the US if the exercise prevents him from contracting preventable illnesses. Oh and btw the same thing goes for women...as a women I'm willing to bet the vast majority of gals at the gym are there to look better either to attract a mate or else to out-do the other gals at the office.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think it's an issue of phrasing. Your original statement made it seem like this was true across the board when I think what you really meant to say is that this is what you've observed, which is not say that there aren't exceptions out there. You just haven't seen them. However, some of us have. But it's never anything extreme. For example, I've never seen someone who was totally ripped with someone who was morbidly obese. But I have seen people who were in pretty good shape with people who were slightly overweight. It happens, but it's not that common.
Yep I think you're right. Maybe I didn't phrase it right. I'm just going on observation and also all the people I know personally and who they hang out with/date, etc. Yeah and I am talking about well endowed muscular or healthy lean people with an obese person not slightly overweight.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 AM

181 posts, read 598,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
How is that ridiculous? It's not a comment; it's an observation. I've never seen an athletic person hanging out in town with someone who is obese. Even at the gym the really in shape dedicated people are seen together and the newbies who are very overweight cluster together.
I don't like to tout my own horn, but I am in good shape and I have a few good friends who could be considered obese. I'm sure if you took the average overweight person and asked them if they had any friends who workout and are in shape that they would say yes. Also, at the gym there is a reason why the overweight newbies cluster together; they're intimidated of the in shape people. Having said that, I am sure that there are the vain people we have been talking about who won't go near an overweight person- most people aren't *******s though

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
I don't like to tout my own horn, but I am in good shape and I have a few good friends who could be considered obese. I'm sure if you took the average overweight person and asked them if they had any friends who workout and are in shape that they would say yes. Also, at the gym there is a reason why the overweight newbies cluster together; they're intimidated of the in shape people. Having said that, I am sure that there are the vain people we have been talking about who won't go near an overweight person- most people aren't *******s though
I work in IT which isn't a field a known for people who are health-conscious. I regularly see people who fit the computer nerd stereotype. They're either skin-and-bones or severely overweight. I don't fall into either of those categories because I eat right and exercise daily. But at the same time, I don't avoid these people just because they don't look like me. Also, many of my friends have kids. As a result, they don't have as much to exercise and they probably eat more takeout than I do. They're overweight, but I don't let that stop me from being friends with them. At the same time, I also have friends who are more like me in that they believe in living a healthy lifestyle. So while I tend to gravitate towards these people, especially when it comes to dating, I don't necessarily limit myself to them. People change over time. As the example I just gave shows, a person could be in great shape and then become a parent and let themselves go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness