Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times

Advertisements

I have been working out regularly with three pound weights and I just moved up to five pound weights. I notice a difference in those weights, but, will that help me define my muscles a little more? I have totally noticed muscles in the last six months, but, I figure it is really time to bump it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
What kind of exercises do you do with them?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have been working out regularly with three pound weights and I just moved up to five pound weights. I notice a difference in those weights, but, will that help me define my muscles a little more? I have totally noticed muscles in the last six months, but, I figure it is really time to bump it up.
I believe the number of reps is a lot more important than the amount of weight.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Quote:
Are you doing reps or lifting while doing aerobic activity? If you're doing reps, then definitely increase the weight in safe increments.

I personally don't think it's safe to lift small weights over and over while doing aerobics/step classes, etc. as I think it can cause a repetitive injury but I see people do it every day at the gym on the treadmill, etc. or while jogging.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
As your strength increases and you find you need heavier weights, yes you may begin to see muscle definition. However, depending on what you're doing with them, 3-5 lbs seems a bit light. But if YOU see and feel a difference, then congrads!

Quote:
I personally don't think it's safe to lift small weights over and over while doing aerobics/step classes, etc. as I think it can cause a repetitive injury but I see people do it every day at the gym on the treadmill, etc. or while jogging.
Though I loathe those classes and will never do it again, I can see where light weights and step aerobics can be useful, especially from a cardiovascular standpoint. With jogging, I can see light ankle and wrist weights, but on the treadmill, I just don't get it.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM

I use weights with a tape to "Gilad". Would you consider him arobics or weights???

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Quote:
I use weights with a tape to "Gilad". Would you consider him arobics or weights???
Aerobics. I guess if you have no issues with repeatedly using the small weights than more power to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Are you doing reps or lifting while doing aerobic activity? If you're doing reps, then definitely increase the weight in safe increments.

It's actually good to do repetative weight lifting while working other muscles, it helps to maximize your workout. Working the smaller muscles in with the larger muscles helps you maintain heart rate levels while continuing to add resistance with weight training.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
In short, yes. Muscles adapt to the workouts you subject them to and can easily plateau. Moving up in weights or reps will "trick" your muscles into continuing to grow and muscle burns fat so.....i'd say if you feel you are ready to move up then that's awesome! That's the goal!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
In short, yes. Muscles adapt to the workouts you subject them to and can easily plateau. Moving up in weights or reps will "trick" your muscles into continuing to grow and muscle burns fat so.....i'd say if you feel you are ready to move up then that's awesome! That's the goal!
I notice a difference with my five pound weights and I swear my stomach feels leaner I figure I will give myself a week or two with the five pound weights and then move up to ten pound weights. I like it a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness