Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Check out 8 minutes in the morning by Jorge Cruise - you might be surprised
8 minutes a day simply isn't enough exercise for me, my lifestyle and my long range goals. But I am sure it is better than nothing for those who need to lose weight, and is probably fine for a beginner. I'd give something like this a shot for my busy travel periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but my results speak for themselves. We have had this discussion before and I am not interested in having it again.
I understand that. I'm not interested in debating the merits of the ketogenic diets again, but to arbitrarily tell someone to "stay away" is rather foolish. She should be made aware of the diet in an objective way and she can then decide for herself if it's something she wants to pursue.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I understand that. I'm not interested in debating the merits of the ketogenic diets again, but to arbitrarily tell someone to "stay away" is rather foolish. She should be made aware of the diet in an objective way and she can then decide for herself if it's something she wants to pursue.
I told her not to fall into the Atkins trap which is pushed by its often-fanatic supporters as being the "best" or even "only" way to lose weight and keep it off long term. It is not the only way and for people with certain medical conditions it is downright dangerous.

Please stop looking for an argument where there is none.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
The odds are excellent that she will. Most do.
This argument fails for one very simple reason. People are not random phenomena and therefore their behavior isn't subject to the laws of probability. That's like saying that because 50% of all marriages fail, your marriage has a 50% chance of failing. This is flawed logic. Just like all marriages are unique, all people are unique. So you can't make a prediction on whether she will or won't use home exercise equipment based on what others do or don't do.

Quote:
No, they won't make you bulky. However, she is a beginner. I cannot recommend heavy weights for a beginner.
You picked an arbitrary value of 2-3 pounds. How do you know this is a good starting point for the OP? For all you know, 2-3 may already be too light. BTW, I never recommended that heavy weights are suitable for a beginner. What I did say was that it won't take long for her to increase her strength and need heavier weight.

Quote:
I never said eat nothing but pizza and please do not put words in my mouth. Proper nutrition is important and proper nutrition includes carbs. I also never said that I eat "lots of carbs." I said "carbs are not your enemy." If you are going to argue with me, at least argue with what I actually said, not what you want people to think I said.
No, but you implied that weight loss is really all about calories, which I think is an oversimplification. And by saying that carbs are not your enemy, you're implying that everyone can handle them. That's not true. Many people are extremely carb-sensitive, to the point where carbs really are their enemy.

Quote:
Who said anything about working out in the morning? I work out after I get home from work. I work out when it fits my schedule best. So should everyone. Again, please don't put words in my mouth.
Perhaps you should read more carefully before responding. If you had, you would've noticed that the portion of my post about morning exercise was directed at OngletNYC, not you.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This argument fails for one very simple reason. People are not random phenomena and therefore their behavior isn't subject to the laws of probability. That's like saying that because 50% of all marriages fail, your marriage has a 50% chance of failing. This is flawed logic. Just like all marriages are unique, all people are unique. So you can't make a prediction on whether she will or won't use home exercise equipment based on what others do or don't do.

You picked an arbitrary value of 2-3 pounds. How do you know this is a good starting point for the OP? For all you know, 2-3 may already be too light. BTW, I never recommended that heavy weights are suitable for a beginner. What I did say was that it won't take long for her to increase her strength and need heavier weight.

No, but you implied that weight loss is really all about calories, which I think is an oversimplification. And by saying that carbs are not your enemy, you're implying that everyone can handle them. That's not true. Many people are extremely carb-sensitive, to the point where carbs really are their enemy.

Perhaps you should read more carefully before responding. If you had, you would've noticed that the portion of my post about morning exercise was directed at OngletNYC, not you.
I don't see how trying to win a tinkling contest with me about weight loss and fitness is helping the OP, so I am walking away.

Best of luck with your fitness goals.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,100 times
ZUMBA! Read the thread. Don't know where you live in Fla, but there are tons of classes out there. Give it a try!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
I don't see how trying to win a tinkling contest with me about weight loss and fitness is helping the OP, so I am walking away.

Best of luck with your fitness goals.
It's not about winning or losing. But when it comes to health and fitness, there's far too much false or misleading information out there. Pointing it out helps the OP by helping her avoid making the same mistakes others have made.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
I told her not to fall into the Atkins trap which is pushed by its often-fanatic supporters as being the "best" or even "only" way to lose weight and keep it off long term. It is not the only way and for people with certain medical conditions it is downright dangerous.

Please stop looking for an argument where there is none.
So you counteract that by arbitrarily telling her to avoid it? Why not take the time to actually explain what you meant? Not only would it be better for the OP, but then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
ZUMBA! Read the thread. Don't know where you live in Fla, but there are tons of classes out there. Give it a try!!!
I have not lived in Florida for almost two years. We live in Oklahoma City now. I just never bothered to change my login name since most city data folks know me as floridamom1970.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I would seriously reconsider. I used to be a night person too. But then I started working out in the morning and the excess weight just melted off. Also, it freed up my evenings to do other things. If I was stuck in traffic, had to run errands, or just felt like relaxing, I could do so without feeling guilty cause I know I got my workout in for the day. Plus, working out in the morning puts me into a much healthier mindset for the day. I'm less likely to slip up and eat junk food.

Working out 5-6 times a week isn't necessarily a bad thing. If all you're doing is going for a walk, then it shouldn't be a big deal. However, if you go from being completely sedentary to doing intense running 5-6 times a week, that's too big a change.
Actually, I worked for several years as a nursing assistant. I was on my feet pushing wheelchairs and lifting heavy people in and out of bed/bath/ect. My current job is a standing job working with adults who have developemental disabilities. I have never had a sit down job. I guess that has worked to my advantage since I started exercising. I have found that I have more endurance than I thought I would have and I am doing pretty well so far. In fact I feel better than I have in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness