Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I've been on high protein diets in the past and never had any problems with it. The only reason I stopped was because of the cost and hassle of having protein all the time. It's a lot easier to eat a banana and a pack of nuts than a chicken breast with veggies and I was hoping to avoid shakes or bars.
Ahh, k. And you don't do well with dairy ... what about jerky? That's a way to add easy-to-eat (and carry) protein without a lot of fat. They're not all sugary or high sodium, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Ahh, k. And you don't do well with dairy ... what about jerky? That's a way to add easy-to-eat (and carry) protein without a lot of fat. They're not all sugary or high sodium, either.
I tried it for a while, but got sick of eating it pretty quickly.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
The only thing I keep a close tab on is my carbohydrate intake. I allow myself no more (and no less) than 180 (+/- 10) grams per day. I can hit the limits of my budget fairly quickly if I am not careful.

Protein and fat I don't keep too much of a track of. Eventually I will, but I'm still trying to nail down the limited carb lifestyle.

The results of my last bout of bloodwork indicated that although my overall cholesterol went down, my LDL went up. So, the decrease was at the expense of my HDL. I'm going to have to start regulating the type of fat that I ingest sooner than I had planned.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
While calories matter, where those calories come from also matters. I used to be pretty anal about tracking where my calories were coming from, but nowadays I just eat what works best for my body and let the ratios fall where they may. After all, I don't think ancient man was worried about how much of their diet was carbs. But just out of curiosity, I wrote my typical days worth of meals to see exactly where my calories were coming from. I was pretty shocked to see how slanted my diet is towards fat. Almost half of my calories. Granted, it's mostly good fats like eggs, nuts, and fish. But still, that seems like a lot. So now I'll probably make some adjustments like cutting back on nuts. But I was curious to see what other ratios people are following, how they arrived at using those ratios, and what your results have been. Were you able to shed fat more easily when you lowered carbs and/or increased protein? What about gaining muscle? Was their an ideal ratio that helped you?
I am obviously not a fan of the low-carb diet regime but I also avoid "junk carbs" like refined sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. Those are pure junk food. I eat legumes, oatmeal, brown rice, pearl barley, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, etc. I do not keep to a strict macronutrient ratio; rather I try to eat a balanced diet with lots of fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat, non-refined carbohydrates, etc. When I make dinner in general meat and carbs together are 40-50% of the plate and fresh vegetables make up the rest.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,237 times
I eat pretty close to 40/30/30 and consume only 2 servings of grains per week. I tracked my food for three days to see how I was doing. Three days was plenty for me.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I am obviously not a fan of the low-carb diet regime but I also avoid "junk carbs" like refined sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. Those are pure junk food. I eat legumes, oatmeal, brown rice, pearl barley, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, etc.
I would argue that foods like oatmeal, brown rice, barley, pasta, etc. belong in the junk carbs category. While they're not nutritionally void, what they do provide can be obtained from fruits and veggies. Grains are a processed food and despite what the lobbyists from the grain industry would have you believe, they're not good for you. Take bread for example. What is that? Did it come up from the ground, fall of a tree, swim, walk or fly? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness