Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
However, I would preach moderation with most things. If you eat in moderation, workout in moderation, eat healthy in moderation, etc., it's a good rule to follow.
The problem I have with this is that it's still too simple and too vague. When it comes to health and fitness, people are so easily intimidated by anything that sounds even slightly complicated that we've now had to dumb things down by saying "everything in moderation." What one person thinks is moderate another will think is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Depends on what you mean by "toned" I guess. I stretch to lengthen mine and to improve flexibility and I do strength training to add lean muscle mass to improve definition and also for my metabolism. (More lean muscle = higher resting metabolism.)
Sorry, but adding more muscle doesn't make you more tone. The muscle is still covered in a layer of fat. When most people think of tone and having more definition, they're referring to being more cut. That has nothing to do with how much muscle mass you have and everything to do with how much body fat you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When most people think of tone and having more definition, they're referring to being more cut. That has nothing to do with how much muscle mass you have and everything to do with how much body fat you have.
Both are important. A thin person without muscles is not toned. That's just skinny. Having lower body fat is only the half of it.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
In the gym trying to learn pull-ups. The trainer came over to help me jump up to the bar. That bastrd put his hands on the back of my thighs.

Trainer: I'ma give you a boast
Me: Ah, you don't boost me from there
Trainer: My bad
Me: WTF!

I work and workout with the military. I know your hands don't belong on my thighs.
Yeah, the proper way to give you a boost is for him to cup his hands under your feet and make sure your body is directly under the bar. So that you lightly push off his hands with the tips of your toes or tops of your laces. He can angle off to the side so his face isn't all in your situation either.

I get a kick out of the gym-stalkers who gradually work there way over to the females in the gym so they can offer "assistance". Funny how none of those good samaritans ever offer other men any assistance or unsolicited advice.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
HCG is still the worst I've ever heard.

But, some other really bad fitness info that I hear are when people make recommendations or start threads saying how certain NON exercise things are great exercises to do. Things like:

Walk to the market
Work in the garden
Play with the cats
Walk the dog
Take a "brisk" walk. WTF is a "brisk" walk? Why not just jog?

If you want to say things things are great, then please add the caveat of "....these are only great if you are Zsa Zsa Gabor or a sickly 400 pounder, but still, dont expect to get in good health doing this"
Actually, there is a good deal of truth in this. I often hear the same thing--"did you know that just by sitting on the computer and typing you're burning calories?" Well yeah, you can burn calories in your sleep too, that doesn't mean it's going to help you achieve any sort of fitness goal or prevent heart disease.

I don't think everyone needs to be training for a decathalon, and so long as you are doing something each day, even if it's a 20 minute power walk it's better than nothing. As a matter of fact, over exertion is just as unhealthy as not enough exercise. The human body wasn't really designed to run marathons and swim across the English Channel. But it's often the people who need exercise the most who try to get away with doing the least. So they think it's fine to say they are getting their daily exercise in while washing the dishes.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
As a matter of fact, over exertion is just as unhealthy as not enough exercise. The human body wasn't really designed to run marathons and swim across the English Channel.
You obviously haven't read "Born to Run"

If you haven't, you should...the people described in that book make us so-called fitness nuts look like couch-potatoes.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Yeah, the proper way to give you a boost is for him to cup his hands under your feet and make sure your body is directly under the bar. So that you lightly push off his hands with the tips of your toes or tops of your laces. He can angle off to the side so his face isn't all in your situation either.

I get a kick out of the gym-stalkers who gradually work there way over to the females in the gym so they can offer "assistance". Funny how none of those good samaritans ever offer other men any assistance or unsolicited advice.
That's not how you boost a jump up to the bar. Hips or waist. The trainer can then assist you back up as you do negatives (for example, very necessary for women who are trying to do chin-ups or pull-ups in the beginning).

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
[quote=Coolhand68;15398725]

Quote:
you lightly push off his hands with the tips of your toes or tops of your laces. He can angle off to the side so his face isn't all in your situation either.
I've noticed. Most of the time it's maybe two woman in the weight room. That's including me. You need some help. Nope.

I've had a guy ask me did I need him to teach me how to do squats. I mean really dude!

The funny part, a guy trying to teach you some ab work. His belly needs some major work. This is how you do it. Nah, dude, that's alright.

Quote:
I get a kick out of the gym-stalkers
Sometimes, the weight room for a woman is like walking into the lion's den. Thank goodness for the ipod.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
That's not how you boost a jump up to the bar. Hips or waist. The trainer can then assist you back up as you do negatives (for example, very necessary for women who are trying to do chin-ups or pull-ups in the beginning).
Yes, you are correct, the initial jump to the bar would be boosted from the waist, similar to a ballet dancer lifting his partner in the air. Once you are up on the bar, your partner then assists you at your feet, to align you properly beneath the bar and to give the least amount of support necessary to get to the top. Regardless the spotter shouldn't be assisting by pushing under the thighs.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
[quote=Childfree35;15399952]
Quote:

I've noticed. Most of the time it's maybe two woman in the weight room. That's including me. You need some help. Nope.

I've had a guy ask me did I need him to teach me how to do squats. I mean really dude!

The funny part, a guy trying to teach you some ab work. His belly needs some major work. This is how you do it. Nah, dude, that's alright.

Sometimes, the weight room for a woman is like walking into the lion's den. Thank goodness for the ipod.
How are all of you women being sexually harassed and pandered to in the weight room? This has never happened to me, and I have never witnessed it happening to other people, and I have worked out in every major and secondary city in this country.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
[quote=OngletNYC;15402102]

Quote:
This has never happened to me
I know how to workout, so I don't need a man to teach me. I've had several trainers. I don't need a guy, unless it's a heavy plate on the bar.

Not sure why it hasn't happen to you sweetie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness