Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times

Advertisements

I, a female, am starting to think my upper body is ever-so-slightly bigger than I want it to be. You can't go by my profile pic which was taken 6 months ago... today if I were in the same position there would be no mistaking my biceps, pecs and delts.

I would like to dial it down just a tad, and maintain. Shrink the circumference of my biceps by about 1/8" to give you an idea of what I want to do to most of my upper body.

Has anyone done this before? Is it just a matter of going a little lighter with the weights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,036 times
I haven't done this before. I imagine if you take a couple of weeks off of working your upper body and then just use lighter weights your muscles will get smaller.

Funny that you bring up this topic. My husband and I were just talking about this last night. He told me that he doesn't want me to get "too" muscular. I told him that I can't imagine reaching a certain point and then thinking, "okay, I need to tone it down now." I love that my muscles are visible and love to see the changes in my body as I become stronger.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
I haven't done this before. I imagine if you take a couple of weeks off of working your upper body and then just use lighter weights your muscles will get smaller.

Funny that you bring up this topic. My husband and I were just talking about this last night. He told me that he doesn't want me to get "too" muscular. I told him that I can't imagine reaching a certain point and then thinking, "okay, I need to tone it down now." I love that my muscles are visible and love to see the changes in my body as I become stronger.
Your upper body and my upper body probably aren't the same.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM

I'm sure our bodies are very different. Maybe I will get to the point where I don't want to get any more muscular. It's hard to imagine, because I haven't reached that point yet. What is too big anyway? I'm sure everyone has a different opinion. Care to share a recent pic?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
I'm sure our bodies are very different. Maybe I will get to the point where I don't want to get any more muscular. It's hard to imagine, because I haven't reached that point yet. What is too big anyway? I'm sure everyone has a different opinion. Care to share a recent pic?
I'd have to take one, and I am too comfy to get off my couch and do it now. Maybe tomorrow. Once my butt gets planted in the special spot, I don't like to move it unless I'm going to bed!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Ha! I hear ya!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
You gotta do what's best for you, however I'll add my 2 cents and state that in the pics I've seen of you, you have damn near what I would call the ideal female physique.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Bosco thank you very much.

OK here is a picture from last week. I had to crop a lot because... its a PG-13 site after all. But I think it gives you the right idea about my arms, pecs and delts... you can get an idea of what my back is like too. My arm in outstretched because I am leaning against a wall, not flexing or anything. I think it might be a bit too much... guys?
I am starting to get comments from random strangers while I'm in regular work clothes, which leads me to think I might need to dial it down a bit.
Or should I just try to maintain? I know I don't want to go any bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing down muscle mass-arm.jpg  

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-07-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Bosco thank you very much.

OK here is a picture from last week. I had to crop a lot because... its a PG-13 site after all. But I think it gives you the right idea about my arms, pecs and delts... you can get an idea of what my back is like too. My arm in outstretched because I am leaning against a wall, not flexing or anything. I think it might be a bit too much... guys?
I am starting to get comments from random strangers while I'm in regular work clothes, which leads me to think I might need to dial it down a bit.
Or should I just try to maintain? I know I don't want to go any bigger.
You can send the unedited version to me. I don't come with any such PG-13 restrictions.

In all seriousness, you look great in that picture. Just the right amount of muscle mass while keeping a nice feminine look. To quote you from the picture progress thread..."I'd hit it!"

But like I said, ultimately you have to do what is best for you. I'm just giving my outsiders opinion on the matter.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
Maybe you should cut down on the weights? The muscle will eventually go down if it's not being worked at the same level (unless you retain muscle for long periods). Of course, you still want toned arms so you could switch to a lighter intensity. Yoga, pilates, and basic isometric arm moves (like the arm stretch from Callanetics, arm circles, etc.) work the arm muscles too, but differently than weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness