Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times

Advertisements

The other day, I bumped into a woman that I hadn't seen in several months. Our sons go to school together and I believe she is around my age (40). The last time I saw her was probably right around New Year's and I thought she looked really good. Well, this time when I saw her, the first thought that crossed my mind was that she had gotten sick. Her face looked sunken in and she was incredibly thin. While talking to her, I got the gist that she had taken up running seriously.

While admittedly I don't know if the way she looked is attributed to exercise alone or not, I started to wonder what purpose does cardio have (other than for for better heart and lung function) for a person that doesn't actually need to lose weight?

Would a person have to actually eat more in order to offset that?

Could someone looking to exercise for health purposes only and not for weight loss forego cardio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 26,515 times
Cardio fitness is vital no matter what shape you're in. Naturally, the more you work out, the more calories you'll burn. But in order to have the energy to keep working out, you'll have to consume more calories . The more you do cardio, the better your blood is pumped throughout your system by the heart. The heart also becomes less susceptible to stress, heart attacks and other heart diseases. Without cardio, your cholesterol, body weight, blood pressure will rise, making your heart less resistant to heart disease. Cardio not only helps the heart, but the lungs as well. With a better beating heart and lungs, more oxygen will get to your muscles when it's needed. I highly recommend doing some form of cardiovascular workout at least 3-4 times a week (probably 30-60 mins, depending on age/health).

Old 08-07-2010, 07:23 AM

286 posts, read 535,231 times
One thing I love about running (along a million other reasons) is that it allows me to eat more. What a great bonus!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
The other day, I bumped into a woman that I hadn't seen in several months. Our sons go to school together and I believe she is around my age (40). The last time I saw her was probably right around New Year's and I thought she looked really good. Well, this time when I saw her, the first thought that crossed my mind was that she had gotten sick. Her face looked sunken in and she was incredibly thin. While talking to her, I got the gist that she had taken up running seriously.

While admittedly I don't know if the way she looked is attributed to exercise alone or not, I started to wonder what purpose does cardio have (other than for for better heart and lung function) for a person that doesn't actually need to lose weight?

Could someone looking to exercise for health purposes only and not for weight loss forego cardio?
Women our age look pretty terrible with really low body fat - your face looks horrible once your fat % gets low. That's probably the difference you are seeing. (This is why thin female celebs over the age of 35 or so have such round faces - they get fillers injected to counterbalance the sunken in, wrinkly look.)

She could probably stand to eat more and add some resistance training or weight lifting.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:

Most people's faces look odd right after they lose weight at any age. Of course you have to fuel more if you burn more. Check out how many calories running burns on a online calculator sometime. If you run distance you have to eat like a horse.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:

If they don't want to lose weight, most likely yes.

Quote:
Depends on what your fitness goals are. I actually think the best way to lose fat is a combination of cardio and strength training; that is what worked best for me anyway. Cardio is great for improving stamina, heart health, blood pressure, lung function, etc. But obviously you should assess what your goals are and if you have any doubt whatsoever as ability or suitability for you, speak to a doctor first. Some people should not do cardio because their heart rate gets too high and it can be dangerous for them. But that is not all that common.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
So it seems like the consensus is anyone wanting to improve their overall health, but not lose weight, should definitely still do cardio but eat more to compensate for any weight loss.

Does anyone know how to determine how much more to eat based on how much cardio you do?

Is there a formula for that? Does it matter what the nutritional value of the foods are or just the caloric value?

Lastly, will doing the above prevent that loss of fullness/volume in the face or just prevent the overall weight loss?

Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
So it seems like the consensus is anyone wanting to improve their overall health, but not lose weight, should definitely still do cardio but eat more to compensate for any weight loss.

Does anyone know how to determine how much more to eat based on how much cardio you do?

Is there a formula for that? Does it matter what the nutritional value of the foods are or just the caloric value?

Lastly, will doing the above prevent that loss of fullness/volume in the face or just prevent the overall weight loss?
Try to estimate how many calories you burned with the cardio workout and replace those calories in your daily intake is my best answer. High-quality nutrition is the preferable option.

As far as losing fullness/volume in the face...some people lose fat from the face, others don't; you can't dictate where you lose/gain fat. Your body and your genes make that decision for you. If you want your face to look full, best answer is don't get too thin.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:

google calorie calculator

You will find lots of sites that help to determine calories burned based on weight, age and gender.

BTW: the consensus is 3500 cal = 1 pound bodyweight. That varies slightly from individual to individual. The other thing to keep in mind is all those calorie numbers are estimates. Your mileage WILL varie.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

BTW: the consensus is 3500 cal = 1 pound bodyweight.
Actually its 3500 calories =1 lb of Fat. But for most people trying to lose weight, its fat weight they are losing, so it would be the same as what they are seeing on the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness