Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times

Advertisements

It is possible to kill yourself by water intoxication. If you drink galon after galon of water in a short ammount of time, you can kill yourself.

It's all about ammount.
My guess is that I consume roughtly 2-3 galons of soda per year, not discriminating between diet and non-diet. I don't see a problem with that.

But I know plenty of people drink plenty of soda daily which will make for a continuous intake of several chemicals that would otherwise not be as prevalent in their food.

I can't say I know these things to be dangerous, or not.
But what I can say is I'd rather moderate it than have a bad surprise later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
ALL TRUE!!!

Except for the fact that:

1. aspartame is NOT the fecal matter of "ecoli virus"

(ummm, Escherichia coli is a BACTERIUM not a virus, and bacteria don't produce fecal matter)

2. aspartame has never been proven to be dangerous AT ALL

3. Diet soda has ZERO calories....it is not possible for ZERO calories to be more fattening than 155 calories (on average)

Other than that ALL TRUE
Sorry, but while you sound like an authority, you are not telling the truth.

1. While bacteria may not produce "feces" in the general term, they do produce "wastes." "Anaerobic bacteria (either obligate or facultative) produce ATP without the assistance of Krebs Cycle or the oxidative electron transport system. Many will therefore get all their ATP from fermentation, meaning they produce lots of acidic waste products. We can therefore differentiate between aerobes and facultative bacteria based on detecting these acidic waste products." ([url=http://www2.hendrix.edu/biology/CellWeb/labmanual/bactphys.html]bacterial physiology[/url]) Laymen usually associate wastes with "poop" or "feces."

2. There have been SEVERAL studies that have found direct links between aspartame and cancer. Russell L. Blaylock wrote this on the matter: My review of the first Ramazzini Study concluded that the study was one of the best designed, comprehensive and conclusive studies done to date on the multipotent carcinogenic potential of aspartame.

This second study is even more conclusive, in that it shows a dose-dependent statistically significant increase in lymphomas/ leukemia in both male and female rats exposed to aspartame. These two cancers are the fastest growing cancers in people under age 30.

Also, of major concern is their finding of statistically significant increases in breast cancer in animals exposed to aspartame. With newer studies clearly indicating that toxic exposures during fetal development can dramatically increase the cancer risk of the offspring, this study takes on a very important meaning to all pregnant women consuming aspartame products. Likewise, small children are at considerable risk of the later development of these highly fatal cancers.

It should be appreciated that the doses used in these study fall within the range of doses seen in everyday users of aspartame. This study, along with the first study, should convince any reasonable scientific mind, as well as the public at large, that this product should be removed from the market.

3. Here's an article from the Huffington Post: "Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain"... "In the first study, researchers collected height, weight, waist circumference and diet soda intake data from 474 elderly people who participated in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging. They were followed up an average of 9.5 years later, according to the research.

Researchers found that the diet soda drinkers had waist circumference increases of 70 percent greater than those non-diet soda drinkers. And people who drank diet soda the most frequently -- at least two diet sodas a day -- had waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than people who didn't drink any diet soda, the study said."

([url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html]Diet Soda Linked To Weight Gain[/url])

It's one thing to "act" smart... It's another to actually do a little research. The greatest danger that we face in our society today is that of people who speak of things with authority when they are actually completely ignorant of the facts.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri_Reynolds View Post
2. There have been SEVERAL studies that have found direct links between aspartame and cancer.
No there hasn't. If this had happened, it would have been dealt with long ago.

Quote:
Russell L. Blaylock wrote this on the matter: My review of the first Ramazzini Study concluded that the study was one of the best designed, comprehensive and conclusive studies done to date on the multipotent carcinogenic potential of aspartame.

This second study is even more conclusive, in that it shows a dose-dependent statistically significant increase in lymphomas/ leukemia in both male and female rats exposed to aspartame. These two cancers are the fastest growing cancers in people under age 30.

Also, of major concern is their finding of statistically significant increases in breast cancer in animals exposed to aspartame. With newer studies clearly indicating that toxic exposures during fetal development can dramatically increase the cancer risk of the offspring, this study takes on a very important meaning to all pregnant women consuming aspartame products. Likewise, small children are at considerable risk of the later development of these highly fatal cancers.

It should be appreciated that the doses used in these study fall within the range of doses seen in everyday users of aspartame. This study, along with the first study, should convince any reasonable scientific mind, as well as the public at large, that this product should be removed from the market.
Rats are not people. There are many physiological differences between the two species. Using rats is only good for generating a hypothesis.
Quote:
3. Here's an article from the Huffington Post: "Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain"... "In the first study, researchers collected height, weight, waist circumference and diet soda intake data from 474 elderly people who participated in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging. They were followed up an average of 9.5 years later, according to the research.

Researchers found that the diet soda drinkers had waist circumference increases of 70 percent greater than those non-diet soda drinkers. And people who drank diet soda the most frequently -- at least two diet sodas a day -- had waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than people who didn't drink any diet soda, the study said."

(Diet Soda Linked To Weight Gain)
So where is the data that proves causation? I sure don't it.

Quote:
It's one thing to "act" smart... It's another to actually do a little research. The greatest danger that we face in our society today is that of people who speak of things with authority when they are actually completely ignorant of the facts.
Good advice for you to take.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Quote:
Diet soda will also hydrate you pretty well. I'd recommend it 100% over a sports drink.
WRONG!!!

Diet sodas have caffeine and will DEHYDRATE you. Anyone that would claim a Diet Coke hydrates better than Cytomax doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm addicted to Diet Coke but never delude myself into thinking it's hydrating me.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I drink diet, caffeine free Coke.

It has never caused me to gain weight.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri_Reynolds View Post

(Diet Soda Linked To Weight Gain)

It's one thing to "act" smart... It's another to actually do a little research.
Correlation != causation. All they found is there is some correlation between people who drink diet soda and waist circumference. Maybe those people are more likely to eat fried lard sticks for lunch. You don't know, and neither do the researchers. The only way to know is:

1) A true experiment, with *random* assignment of experimental units (people) to the treatment group and exogenous variables controlled. Tough with people, not impossible in this case.

2) Multiple, independent *studies* (what this is) that overwhelmingly show the same result. You would need a lot more than this to show causation.

No amount of statistics can save you from a poor experimental design, a psuedo-experimental study, or just plain unsupported conclusions.

May I suggest a good class on research methodology for you, so you know when you are reading something that isn't proof, but is instead simply very minor evidence? They are cheap at your local community college.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Correlation != causation. All they found is there is some correlation between people who drink diet soda and waist circumference. Maybe those people are more likely to eat fried lard sticks for lunch. You don't know, and neither do the researchers. The only way to know is:

1) A true experiment, with *random* assignment of experimental units (people) to the treatment group and exogenous variables controlled. Tough with people, not impossible in this case.

2) Multiple, independent *studies* (what this is) that overwhelmingly show the same result. You would need a lot more than this to show causation.

No amount of statistics can save you from a poor experimental design, a psuedo-experimental study, or just plain unsupported conclusions.

May I suggest a good class on research methodology for you, so you know when you are reading something that isn't proof, but is instead simply very minor evidence? They are cheap at your local community college.
Exactly. This was a really crappy experiment.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Soda is soda, diet or not.

It's all carbonated crap regardless!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
This is simple, don't drink any of it.

Sorry I didn't read thru pages of mindless bickering to see if anyone else posted that.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 10,649 times
I've noticed that some of the weight programs out there appear to think it doesn't matter if you drink diet sodas and others say to cut it out entirely. I've also heard that Diet Coke (and related soft drinks) do bad things to your brain. So if there's anything to that and it really does help with the weight loss routines, that might be a motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness