Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

SVTray, spot on. How are we supposed to intelligently comment with no pics? OP should have put a "must have pic" stipulation in the titlle.

We have a nice workout room where I work and I do a lot of treadmill running there. I feel a lot better running shirtless, so that's what I do. So far no one has complained. I also run shirtless outdoors unless it's really cold. I think it lets the body breath better, and is one less item in the laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
When I was younger I worked out with just a sports bra. So did a lot of women, but that was 15 years ago. I really do not see any women at my gym wearing just a sports bra. A beautiful girl came in once and wore just a bra and almost every guy in the place tripped over themselves just to get a glance.
However there is a woman who's expiration date has come and gone. She must be in her mid sixties, not fat but not in shape at all. She wears just a sports bra and it aint a pretty sight. For one the bra is old and was once white but is now kind of gray. And then of course the most obvious reason she shouldn't wear it is because she looks HIDEOUS. Sags of skin all around. I just do not get it at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
ifr

1 posts, read 2,628 times
I think you should wear whatever gym clothes make you feel comfortable. If you have worked for these abs, then I don't see a problem with wearing a sports-bra at the gym. How is a sports-bra trashy??? I don't get it. Personally, I enjoy shopping for gym clothes because it is motivating me to go to the gym more often which is always a good thing. So whatever works for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Sounds like we need some pictures up in this place

Seriously though, those things you call sports bras are in fact bras? Their almost standard issue at every gym I've visited in the past. I'm probably desensitized or something because I don't have an issue with them. I also see women wearing them while jogging, usually around our Dallas place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I dont know. I think they are bras in name only and not really just meant to be worn underneath something else. I see women ALL THE TIME working out and running with just a sports bra on. Looks like they make them quite fashionable, or as fashionable as workout attire can get.

There are lots of women who LOVE and PREFER working out in just their sports bras, and you'll have prudes who think that because the word "bra" is in the title that it must be worn under other clothes.
Oh come one. The term "sports bra" has been around forever - that isn't the issue here and you know it. There are tops that are sold as "sports bras" that wouldn't hold up even a moderate-sized set of girls, and they aren't intended to. They are for looks only - the less material and showier cut, the better. When a gal with a healthy set puts on one of those and wears it alone, it is CLEARLY not for support during a workout. I think we all understand that. If you put on a true supportive sports bra, with the right support for your size, I don't think most people have an issue at all with it.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Bumping an old thread, but I was having this conversation with a friend of mine and she asked me a question which I would like to turn to you.

Are women who train with only a sports bra on their upper bodies identical to men who train shirtless? Is one considered more acceptable than the other, or are both equally acceptable or are neither? I know that when I box, I sometimes prefer training shirtless, especially in the summer months.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 57,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Bumping an old thread, but I was having this conversation with a friend of mine and she asked me a question which I would like to turn to you.

Are women who train with only a sports bra on their upper bodies identical to men who train shirtless? Is one considered more acceptable than the other, or are both equally acceptable or are neither? I know that when I box, I sometimes prefer training shirtless, especially in the summer months.
I thinks it's fine if you have a nice body.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Who cares? If she has a nice figure and she's not flopping all over the place, then I don't think it makes her trashy. She's at the gym, not out for a 5 star dinner. There have been times on the treadmill when the gym was hot and crowded and I wished I was only wearing a sports bra, but I feel kind of self conscious so I always put a tank on over mine. I see all kinds of attire and all kinds of people of various ages and physical fitness at the gym, but I try to mind my own business and not judge. Considering most of America is probably at home on the couch watching reality TV and eating Cheetos, I give kudos to anyone who makes the effort to go to the gym.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I don't necessarily think it's trashy, but I do think it's unneccessary. If they're truly working out, then they have sweat dripping down their back. If they're using ANY of the machinery while they're doing this, I hope they're wiping down all those machines with some sanitizer and a cloth. I totally do -not- want to be sitting in a pool of someone else's sweat, just because they wanted to show off their abs and couldn't bear to cover their stomach for an hour.

If they're -not- sweating - then they probably only showed up to show off their stomach. In which case, I think it's not only trashy, it's tactless, insulting, and rude.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't necessarily think it's trashy, but I do think it's unneccessary. If they're truly working out, then they have sweat dripping down their back. If they're using ANY of the machinery while they're doing this, I hope they're wiping down all those machines with some sanitizer and a cloth. I totally do -not- want to be sitting in a pool of someone else's sweat, just because they wanted to show off their abs and couldn't bear to cover their stomach for an hour.

If they're -not- sweating - then they probably only showed up to show off their stomach. In which case, I think it's not only trashy, it's tactless, insulting, and rude.
..and makes other people jealous?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahama Blue View Post
I thinks it's fine if you have a nice body.
I think it's fine if you are comfortable doing so, irregardless of what your body looks like. Bravo to the women with not so nice bodies, who have the balls to be true to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness