Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM

239 posts, read 894,913 times

Advertisements

I attended with my husband his 30 year class reunion recently and was shocked how many men had big bellies. Including my husband who is skinny every where else except for his belly. I noticed just about every other thin or skinny guy his age has a big belly too. What is it about middle aged men and big bellies?

Do you know anyone over 45 who has a rock hard stomach who is not working out 3 hours a day? Is a big belly just part of a middle aged man's experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
After a certain the lining inside that holds your guts starts to thin and created a pouch for anyone who is not muscularly inclined. That shape though is usually from doing nothing at all with arms and legs and overeating.
You don't need to work out 3 hours a day not to have a gut either. Its a combo of diet control and being a little active.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
I believe that's called a beer belly.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM

239 posts, read 894,913 times
He does not drink beer or soda but as soon as he turned forty years old his belly grew and his arms and legs became thiner and he got weaker. All his other thin friends had the same thing happen to them. He does not know a sole who has a rock hard stomach over the age of 45. Do you?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 42,764 times
It's called living the good life.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
He does not drink beer or soda but as soon as he turned forty years old his belly grew and his arms and legs became thiner and he got weaker. All his other thin friends had the same thing happen to them. He does not know a sole who has a rock hard stomach over the age of 45. Do you?
Its because they sit around and overeat. It does not only come from beer and soda. It comes from excess calories for your activity level. The guy that fixed my cabinets the other day had to be 45-55 or so. All white hair. He did not have a gut but he was in shape like his job can do for guys. (carpenter) Come to think of it a lot of the worker guys for the company don't have guts and they are middle aged and up. But after 35-40 your testosterone does start to decline and that makes holding onto lean tissue harder. It also makes creating lean tissue harder.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
If you weren't such a darned good cook, he wouldn't have this problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
Quote:
All his other thin friends had the same thing happen to them. He does not know a sole who has a rock hard stomach over the age of 45. Do you?
Yes I do know quite a number of men over 45 who have rock hard stomaches...but they are all at my gym. Its called stop piling up on couch in front of ballgames consuming massive amounts of carbs and start exercising. Stop the pizza, bread and chips. Carbs whether in the form of bread or beer are what give men guts. Women tend to accumulate fat on the butt, hips and thighs and men accumulate it on gut.

Here's a well-known older guy named Scooby with hard muscles. He is a little goofy, but you can't deny how good his body looks.

YouTube - Supplements 4 fatloss &muscle gain

YouTube - Home ab workout: crunch exercise for 6-pack abs

Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times
Quote:
I think it has to do with decreasing testosterone and increasing cortisol production. Just a part of aging.

I personally think it is freaky when a man or woman has an old looking, saggy face, but a body of a 20 year old. Aghh!!! It's so incongruent, it blows my mind... and normally people who are super fit are also super tan, so they spend a lot of time in the sun resulting in the horribly disfigured facies of sun damage (like Scooby above).

Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I don't have to go to anyone's reunion to see big bellies, and they are not all males and they are not all over 39. In fact, it's a rarity to see a flat tummy anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness