Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Why do people jog
in the road
with traffic
with headphones on
into the sun (drivers blinded)
when there is a perfectly good sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 PM

3,291 posts, read 9,187,103 times
More to the point,

Quote:
Why do people jog
When walking at a brisk, steady pace is so much easier on your knees and gives you the same if not more benefits. Liz

Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 AM

41,954 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Sidwalks are often cracked, heaved, and otherwise uneven. Street surfaces usually are smoother.

Which is not to say that a speeding car is less dangerous than an uneven sidewalk! I never use headphones though -- I like to be aware of my surroundings.

southernlady5464,

Quote:
Why do people jog
Because we can!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:06 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
I'm staying on the sidewalk where i feel safe enough. There are also driver's that don't pay alot of attention while driving and they end up on the sidewalks hitting innocent walkers or joggers. They even have taken out a few bus stops and killed the people there waiting for a bus.
I think we just all have to be aware of our surroundings whether we are on the sidewalks or on the street. And be ready to run or jump out of the way if need be.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 53,714 times
When I run/jog there are a few rules I go by. I always stay on the side walks, is it right? I am not 100% sure, but I do know that is where I feel safest, the area I live in people tend to not pay any attention and can be very rude, on more then several occassions I have nearly been taken out.
While running with music is very motorvating for me, when I do run on a more busy route, not in the park or inside on a treadmil, or with a friend even, I tend not to wear them, I like to be able to hear everything going on around me, I feel safer in case someone was to try to jump me or attack me ( i know a pestimistic view but its been known to happen, and just never know) plus other saftey issues.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,186 times
I was always told it was correct to walk with traffic. That's what I do whenever possible. When I;m driving and come upon someone walking against traffic, (and there are more and more of them all the time) it freaks me out.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
I was actually taught to walk against traffic but ride with it...something about when walking being able to see the traffic coming at you...that was then..

I walk,jog,run and bike with the traffic. NO head phones...I've never lived as an adult in an area with sidewalks !

Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
I would rather jog against traffic so I could see when the car plows into me. I usually use the treadmill even though it's not scenic. Sidewalks are also dangerous because cars backing out of their driveway don't even see you half the time.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I would rather jog against traffic so I could see when the car plows into me. I usually use the treadmill even though it's not scenic. Sidewalks are also dangerous because cars backing out of their driveway don't even see you half the time.

LOL...you're a glutton for punishment...all kidding aside, I would rather see the car plowing into me too...and hopefully be able to jump out of the way before I became a hood ornament.

I cycle with the traffic...some drivers don't like it. But the bike paths around here are loaded with people with their dogs on those retractable leashes that are practically invisible until you run up on top of one and catapult off the bike!...don't like those leashes on bike trails.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 53,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post

I too usally use the treadmill, I like to really push myself and the treadmill forces me too do so. Plus I am numbers person so I like to see how far I have gone and all. I have yet to get a heart rate monitor, that is my next new toy I am going to get after I finish my first 1/2 marathon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness