Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times

Advertisements

For a basic, complete body workout, without using any equipment at all, then Yes walking is superior to anything else. It is strength, cardio, and endurance all rolled into one exercise.

You won't get big, buffed, and ripped, by walking. But, not everybody has that goal when they start an exercise routine.

I have an elderly neighbor who uses a walker to get around. Yet, she still "walks" up and down the street for exercise.

Walking, for fitness, is simplicity at its finest. All you need is a good pair of shoes and the entire world becomes your fitness gym.

Keep giving the advice Ohiogirl81. You're doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
For a basic, complete body workout, without using any equipment at all, then Yes walking is superior to anything else. It is strength, cardio, and endurance all rolled into one exercise.
Well, we really disagree on this one then. Walking is NOT superior to running or jogging as an exercise. If anyone were to rate the three in order of effectiveness it would be:

1. Running
2. Jogging
3. Walking

Anyways, before giving any advice to someone on exercise, one should first determine and/or ASK what current fitness level the person is in. Sure, Id probably recommend walking to my grandmother as exercise that is appropriate for HER. But the OP made no mention of what fitness level she is in currently, and here comes Ohiogirl telling her that she should "walk". If the person can jog or run (and made NO mention of any injury or ailment) why in the world would anyone say "walking is the best"? Bad advice.

You can see in post #2 of this thread, one of the first things I asked her was what type of starting shape she is in. Even without her answering, I gave her recommendations (that she appreciated) based on a person being of average/moderate fitness ability and level. Only time I would say "walking is best" is if the person is recovering from major illness AND is elderly.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
I'd say squat thrusts were probably the best full-body workout without equipment. You don't have to be in remarkable shape to do them either.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM

58 posts, read 138,798 times
P90x!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Well, we really disagree on this one then. Walking is NOT superior to running or jogging as an exercise. If anyone were to rate the three in order of effectiveness it would be:

1. Running
2. Jogging
3. Walking

Anyways, before giving any advice to someone on exercise, one should first determine and/or ASK what current fitness level the person is in. Sure, Id probably recommend walking to my grandmother as exercise that is appropriate for HER. But the OP made no mention of what fitness level she is in currently, and here comes Ohiogirl telling her that she should "walk". If the person can jog or run (and made NO mention of any injury or ailment) why in the world would anyone say "walking is the best"? Bad advice.

You can see in post #2 of this thread, one of the first things I asked her was what type of starting shape she is in. Even without her answering, I gave her recommendations (that she appreciated) based on a person being of average/moderate fitness ability and level. Only time I would say "walking is best" is if the person is recovering from major illness AND is elderly.
Actually walking is all you need for health. Running and jogging have risks no matter what your fitness starting point is. Walking will keep you in basic shape no matter what your fitness point is. There is working out for health and working out for vanity. Running/jogging has been shown to actually have negative health consequences of the coronary kind if you go crazy with it. Not to mention the wear and tear on your joints.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Try hill walking. That'll give you a workout, especially if you increase your pace during subsequent hill walks.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:

1. Running
2. Jogging
3. Walking

Because the other two are harder on the joints--the knees and the ankles.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Run in place.
Sit ups.
Push ups. That uses every major upper body muscle group.
Hold your arms straight out to the side from the shoulders and make wind mill motions.
Deep knee bends.
Pull ups. You'll need somekind of overhead bar for this.
Lay on your stomach and hold your arms and legs up.
Lay on your back and hold legs up and arms elevated but not straight up.
Get a couple quarts of milk from the fridge and hold them straight out at arms length.
Ride a bike. Swm. Walk up and down hills on a hike.
No weights, no equipment, nothing to buy, except maybe milk.
There are many things you can do wthout going to the gym or buying equipment.
But start slowly and progress from there. You don't want to overdue your endurance or over work unused muscles.
And it's always good to do some stretching and running in place just to warm up
And drink water. You need to stay hydrated.
Go at your own pace and progress over time as your body gets used to what it hasn't done for awhile.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Thanks guys!!! I have been reading your suggestions and trying different thing trying to get a "routine" that I can commit to. I did find a calc online to find out how many calories I burn by doing things I already do. So I just started doing extra things like washing my car in my driveway the calc says I burned a couple hundred in an hour. Not sure how on point the calc is but it did give me motivation to do other things just to see how much I could burn without actually working out. Like mopping the floor and shampooing the carpets. I kinda killed 2 birds with 1 stone all while "not exercising". Calorie Calculator

But thanks again guys if you ahve any more suggestions please do keep them coming. Im sure they can help me and others who may be reading this.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Quote:
Really Ohiogirl? Really? Walking outdoors is the best exercise there is? Wow. Better than running? Better than HIT? Better than P90x? Better than pilates, yoga, or cardio kickboxing? Better than swimming? Really?

All these years of concentrating on my healthy/fitness Ive been totally going about it the wrong way. Instead of running 5k every morning with last half mile or so done HIIT, and instead of whole body weight routines 3-4 times per week, or daily Crossfit exercises and yoga, tai chi, kung fu and karate, along with jumping rope every day, all I really had to do was walk outdoors because it is "the best exercise there is"? Wow. Thank you.

Your post is a prime example of why some people should NOT be giving anyone advice on exercise. You didnt ask what current shape the OP is in. You have no idea of what she is capable of doing. Heck, she's probably already somewhat fit or even if she's moderately fit, how do you know that "walking outdoors" will be best for her or better for her than say, going for a run on the beach or jumping rope, doing burpees, tabata air squats and pushups?

Geez. This is not an attack on you, its just me pointing out that some people should NOT be giving advice on exercise.

Sounds like you should add meditation to your regime. You really need to RELAX.

And btw, actually she is right. The one overall exercise that is best for the body, mind and soul IS walking outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness