Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I have noticed since I have been losing weight is that my face has started getting thinner. People are starting to notice my weight loss now. One thing that I never though of was that losing weight and getting in better shape is giving me the chance to see what I really look like for the first time in years. As I gained wieght my face got heavier and I developed a double chin that is now nearly gone and my face has more definition.

I will be forty next month and have always looked much younger than I am. I had heard stories of people who lose weight and start looking much older and I was kind of afraid that would happen to me. So far I have been lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
If you go under a certain body fat %, your face will indeed look older. The less fat in your face, the more wrinkles show up. That is why all the really thin 40ish actresses have collagen injections in their face - to mimic body fat in the face, which fills in those wrinkles. I don't think you should go below 20% body fat for this reason.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I agree. I lost a bunch of weight and my face is much thinner, but I now have lines on my face that I didn't have before. I am starting to get those "parentheses" that they talk about on those commercials for injectables. I am not going to lose much more because of this.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If you go under a certain body fat %, your face will indeed look older. The less fat in your face, the more wrinkles show up. That is why all the really thin 40ish actresses have collagen injections in their face - to mimic body fat in the face, which fills in those wrinkles. I don't think you should go below 20% body fat for this reason.
Yeah it does look pretty silly to see these women. They have incredibly toned arms that make them look like they're ripped. But then you see their faces and you can tell they've had collagen injected into their cheeks. It's almost looks like a bad Photoshop.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,552 times
I'm losing weight in face too and also neck. I didn't notice it myself until my neighbor mentioned my face was looking thinner.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
I'm only 29, and my family said I started looking "gaunt" because of my weight loss. I simply said that I'd never been very active and thus was chubby before now. My dad stopped working out because he looked like he was about 80 when he's really 58.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times
Lordy, ya'll are scaring me! I originally set my goal weight to be one hundred thirty pounds. I am about five foot six, my thirteen year old is probably around five foot four or so. I weighed her today and she is 131 pounds. 130 is what I weighed when I got married twenty one years ago. Maybe 140-145 would be a better goal. I guess I will know when I look and feel good enough to stop.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Lordy, ya'll are scaring me! I originally set my goal weight to be one hundred thirty pounds. I am about five foot six, my thirteen year old is probably around five foot four or so. I weighed her today and she is 131 pounds. 130 is what I weighed when I got married twenty one years ago. Maybe 140-145 would be a better goal. I guess I will know when I look and feel good enough to stop.
Instead of having a goal weight, have a goal size. The scale isn't giving you the full picture, especially if you are doing resistance training/weight lifting.

For what it's worth, I am the same height at you. I walk around at 138 pounds which I like... but I just unintentionally lost about five pounds when I boosted my cycling to about 200 miles a week - I couldn't keep up the calories. I think I look too skinny now and am working to put the weight back on. (I'd post a picture to show you, but I really think I look too damn small in a pic I took last week... i look a bit boney) I suspect if I were to drop any more my face would start looking bad. (You and I are about the same age.)

Regardless of what you do, just let your mirror be the final judge.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
140-145 is a healthy weight for your height. Pick what you can maintain happily. If you eat a higher carb diet you retain some water in the body and gives a little bit of plumpness. Everyone has seen that example when they get ill, and you can't eat anything and it gives you a stringy strange look? Then when you get healthy and start eating again the gaunt goes away? Higher carb can do a smaller scale version of that. Still make sure that you get enough protein though!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
You can't control where you lose weight. While you may be losing it in your face, a lot of women lose it in their chest. I've heard a number of women complain about that. But with respect to the face, there are facial exercises you can do to avoid looking too gaunt. Bodybuilders and fitness models know about them. These are guys who get incredibly lean and have experienced first hand the changes to their faces. For a fitness model, you're supposed to be selling youth and fitness, not the face of an old man stuck on the body of an athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness