Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times

Advertisements

My exercise of choice for decades has been long-distance walking and hiking, as my joints always acted up if I lapsed into jogging the same distances. By "long-distance" I mean 5-7 miles a day at a fast pace, usually with walking poles, on pavement. If hiking, I wear a loaded day-pack and mostly choose unimproved trails.

So my question is, now that I appear to have a chronic pain in the ball of my left foot (the right one is still pain-free) that my doc called "metatarsalgia" from overuse, why in just one foot? He just shrugged and said follow the RICE approach and take pain meds.

Is there an OTC orthotic specifically for metatarsalgia (NOT an arch support)? Right now I'm wearing something weird a friend's daughter gave to me that she used successfully to combat foot pain in her ballet classes. It looks like a little padded "toe tent" or half-footie that fits over the end of your foot to cover the ball area. So far it DID give me some relief from the pain on the shorter walk I took today.

Yes, I know I can switch to a bike, swimming, or elliptical while it heals, but I was hoping somebody might know of an effective treatment to let me keep walking. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 PM

218 posts, read 547,127 times
I suggest going to a local running store and have them analyze your feet to see how you walk, run and exercise and how that impacts your foot, then buy shoes specifically for that. I did that becuase I was experiencing pain on the inner part of my feet and found out that I tend to walk, run and exercise on the iner part...weird huh...Im considered overpronated or something. Since buying shoes and insoles to counteract that issue, I no longer have foot pains.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
My exercise of choice for decades has been long-distance walking and hiking, as my joints always acted up if I lapsed into jogging the same distances. By "long-distance" I mean 5-7 miles a day at a fast pace, usually with walking poles, on pavement. If hiking, I wear a loaded day-pack and mostly choose unimproved trails.

So my question is, now that I appear to have a chronic pain in the ball of my left foot (the right one is still pain-free) that my doc called "metatarsalgia" from overuse, why in just one foot? He just shrugged and said follow the RICE approach and take pain meds.

Is there an OTC orthotic specifically for metatarsalgia (NOT an arch support)? Right now I'm wearing something weird a friend's daughter gave to me that she used successfully to combat foot pain in her ballet classes. It looks like a little padded "toe tent" or half-footie that fits over the end of your foot to cover the ball area. So far it DID give me some relief from the pain on the shorter walk I took today.

Yes, I know I can switch to a bike, swimming, or elliptical while it heals, but I was hoping somebody might know of an effective treatment to let me keep walking. Thanks for any advice!

As far as an orthotic, you can make your own. Buy some thin foam 1/8 - 1/4" at the drug store and make a "donut "then place another layer over the donut to cover it hole and all. Tape to the ball of your foot with the "donut hole" over the point of most of your pain and the extra foam layer where it will be closest to your sock. Be certain to use "stretch tape" so your foot can spread naturally on impact.

After exercise ice massage the ball of your foot for 10-15 minutes. Take a paper cup, fill 2/3rds, freeze it, then when it is time to ice peel the paper down about 1" so you still have a wrapper to hang onto the ice.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM

AA and MOGal, thanks for the responses and great advice! I'll be trying these methods out to see if they'll work for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Is it your dominate leg? Maybe you legs are two different lengths?

I would get fitted for proper shoes because those kind of problems can cause other issues traveling up the leg. (to the knee and then the hip) It could just be the shoes are not right for your foot shape.

If you have a few to lose that can also help. Less weight means less stress on the foot. Even just 10 pounds can make a difference.

For pain relief I like arnica montana. It comes in pill and gel form. The body can heal faster with that than conventional pain meds sometimes. Make sure you can mix it with anything else you are taking.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
These are what I give patients with Metatarsalgia

Hapads

Hapad, Inc: Metatarsal Pads

Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
These are what I give patients with Metatarsalgia

Hapads

Hapad, Inc: Metatarsal Pads
Thanks very much for the additional input after my last post and a question for you, Blue: Would wearing negative-heel shoes help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness