Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 AM

81 posts, read 454,057 times

Advertisements

I have had this problem most of my life. I noticed it first as a teenager. Whenever I walk fast or jog / run slowly,( out doors or on the treadmill ), even with the stationary bike and epliptical my calves would hurt. Does anyone know what causes this? I have done stretches and calf exercises but nothing helps. As soon as I stop doing the cardio, the pain goes. Whilst I exercising its a killer and causes me to go at a much slower pace. Its not because I am tired just that my calves hurt. My calves are also big and when I walk/jog alot they also get bigger and stiffer. Any suggestions to help this problem would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 03:58 AM

13,627 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Is it possible to get your blood checked out for things you may be lacking?

Magnesium or Potassium maybe, just a suggestion.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
You should see an orthopedist.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
I have the same problem, it could be a slight calf strain or muscle cramps and it may or may not do with your potassium levels. Another issue could be the shoes you're wearing while you're working out. If it's a potassium issue, I recommend eating more bananas, scallops...uh, potatoes and orange juice.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
I had the same problem. I was told by my doctor that I wasn't stretching properly (which explains the stiffness) and I wasn't getting enough oxygen so I had to make a conscious decision to take deeper breaths. I didn't realize that while I was running I had short, fast breaths that did not allow me to get enough oxygen into my legs; that's what caused the pain. Mix up the types of stretching techniques you have been using while regulating your breathing and see if it works.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Take magnesium each night before bed and see if that helps. I get severe muscle cramps if I don't take magnesium. Its good for heart health too so its win-win situation. Its hard to get enough magnesium from foods alone. In the summer when I sweat loads I find I need to consume extra potassium to avoid calf cramps. So notice how much you sweat the day before the cramps start ... or just take both minerals.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

46 posts, read 150,446 times
I had the same problem. My daughter is a XC runner, what she did was massage the area working from the foot up. When all the knots, if any, are out it the feeling is loose then with a foam roller (she used a wodden rolling pin) roll from the foot up. This hurts like a mother but after two days no pain. Just my 2 cents......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness