Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Good for Ray. I wish they would post the ingredients of the subs he ate. You just know people are going to go into Subway thinking they are on the "diet" and order up a footlong meatball sub on white bread with mayo and extra cheese and think "Im going to lose weight because I eat Subway".

I would think something like a 6" on whole wheat with no mayo, no cheese, turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, bellpepper and olives would be good along with his baked chips and unsweetened iced tea drink would work well.
At the couple of Subways I go to, they post the ingredients and calorie counts up at the front so you can see what you're getting. Basically, the low-cal, low-fat option is a 6" turkey or ham sandwich on wheat, no cheese, w/mustard and the available veggies. No chips or drink. I started getting this occasionally when I was counting all my calories, fat and carbs for a couple of months. It's not really very good at all and I can't imagine eating it twice a day for months. But good for the guy for dropping all the weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM

153 posts, read 520,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I can't see Subway diet being that good. First of all there's very little in the way of vegetables. Iceberg lettuce really doesn't count and has no real nutrients. Tomatoes is probably the healthiest food they offer.
They actually offer quite a bit more than iceberg lettuce and tomatoes. At the Subway that I sometimes visit, I always get all the vegetables on my sandwich.

That includes iceberg lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, green bell peppers, cucumber slices, pickles, olives, banana peppers, jalapenos and sometimes they have shredded carrots.

I usually get oven roasted chicken breast and spicy mustard. I skip the cheese unless I get a vegetarian sandwich.

I certainly don't eat there every day or even every week though. I prefer to bring my lunch from home.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
For the record, Jared ate only meatless, cheeseless footlongs without condiments of any type - two per day, I believe, plus water only to drink.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM

331 posts, read 989,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I can't see Subway diet being that good. First of all there's very little in the way of vegetables. Iceberg lettuce really doesn't count and has no real nutrients. Tomatoes is probably the healthiest food they offer. Bread is really not that healthy. I admit I've only been to a Subway about 3 times in my whole life ever because I'm just not someone who has ever enjoyed eating sandwiches. But I'm assuming they don't have good healthy things there like broccoli, green beans, spinach, carrots & so forth cause generally those things aren't put on sandwiches.
I like to stop into subway right after the gym if I don't have time to go home and make a meal before going somewhere else. I don't eat there to lose weight (I eat there to gain... $5 footlongs!), but the food options really aren't that bad if you know what you're getting. I typically get the same thing:
Footlong turkey on wheat with swiss cheese, spinach (I hate iceberg lettuce too), green peppers, pickles, onions, tomatoes, and ranch dressing. I drink water, and skip the chips.

If I were trying to lose weight and were stuck with fast food, I'd still stick with Subway, and get the same meal, only a 6-inch and skip the cheese and dressing, and probably add pepper to flavor.

If I had to choose this over making a sandwich at home and bringing it with me, given I prepared for the day properly? I'd save about $3 per meal, and would be able to put my own low- or no-fat dressing on myself.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times
I get a kick out of these fast food diets. If people would just learn to prepare their own meals at home, they would save so much money and really know what they are getting. Subway is probably the lesser of the fast food evils, but it is still fast food nonetheless.

Why pay $5 for a sandwhich there when you can easily get all the ingredients you need to make this stuff at home and much tastier in my opinion. Buy fruit and veggies for the sides and drink water and voila! Healthy homemade meal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness