Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I now exercise because it lifts my spirits being at the gym. Its amazing what it does for the mind which people don't really talk about too much.
No kidding. It's a great stress reliever. I eat exercise and eat healthy because it makes me feel good. The fact that it also helps keep the weight off is now more of a bonus than the primary goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Response: Hmmm. Then if they will not stop - Okay well that's your opinon but its my decision to make -respect mine and I wont start berating your choices.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
I don't agree with your friends! I like you sat at a desk, muscles turned to mush with predisone, and now work out an hour and 1/2 4 days a week (p90X). I'm on week 9 of p90X. The first 60 days I lost 10 pounds. I changed my eating habit for p90X (and fyi I'm not eating like a bird) and have stuck with the change in eating habits from day 1...but something interesting has happened between week 7 and week 9....I lot another 5 pounds....so now I'm down 14 pounds. What's weird is that I cheated on my eating the last 2 weeks because we had guests in town, etc and I'm still loosing weight. I truly believe that the massive amount of muscle I have gained now has increased my metabolism 10 fold. I now can sit at my desk and burn more calories than before and I truly believe it's causing me to loose drastic amounts of weight. (I'm short 5 feet 1 inch and 14 pounds puts me roughly from a size 10 to a size 6).

The muscle mass is what I needed. I tried to eat like a bird once and I did not loose one pound. Obviously messing with my metabolism was the trick...so no...I don't agree with your friends and I'm living proof. Now the problem is I can't fit in any of my clothes and if I'm still loosing...I don't want to buy anything just yet. FYI I'm eating about 1600 calories a day

Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I don't agree with your friends! I like you sat at a desk, muscles turned to mush with predisone, and now work out an hour and 1/2 4 days a week (p90X). I'm on week 9 of p90X. The first 60 days I lost 10 pounds. I changed my eating habit for p90X (and fyi I'm not eating like a bird) and have stuck with the change in eating habits from day 1...but something interesting has happened between week 7 and week 9....I lot another 5 pounds....so now I'm down 14 pounds. What's weird is that I cheated on my eating the last 2 weeks because we had guests in town, etc and I'm still loosing weight. I truly believe that the massive amount of muscle I have gained now has increased my metabolism 10 fold. I now can sit at my desk and burn more calories than before and I truly believe it's causing me to loose drastic amounts of weight. (I'm short 5 feet 1 inch and 14 pounds puts me roughly from a size 10 to a size 6).

The muscle mass is what I needed. I tried to eat like a bird once and I did not loose one pound. Obviously messing with my metabolism was the trick...so no...I don't agree with your friends and I'm living proof. Now the problem is I can't fit in any of my clothes and if I'm still loosing...I don't want to buy anything just yet. FYI I'm eating about 1600 calories a day

That's great news on you px90 program. I've heard a lot of great things about it. There was a lady in a nearby town lost 49% of her bodyweight and was in the newspaper talking about it. Sounds like its doing you a lot of good. So keep up the hard work! Its not just the weight loss but strengthening the body that is important. When I was moving I saw what little strength I had. Its kinda funny now because I had these tall plastic trunks I filled with stuff when I first packed and it was so heavy I had to scoot it across the floor to move it. Well I've been slowly unpacking because some of that stuff was things I didn't need right away and I amazed myself that I was able to lift the same containers and walk across the house with them whereas before I couldn't even pick them up.

At first the weight loss was slow but then I racheted up the cardio to one hour instead of 30 mins. Now my whole body composition is changing so fast I can't buy new clothes fast enough and I have so much loose skin from the sudden fat lose that its rather disgusting. I even have loose skin on the top of my foot of all places! I can pull up about 1 inch of lose skin on my chest and about 1/2 inch on my upper arms and more than 1 inch below waist. I started drinking apple cider vinegar because its suppose to help with arthritis. I felt better doing it plus is actually a really pleasant drink mixed with honey and hot water so I keep drinking it. Some reports say ACV makes one lose weight too. I didn't drink it for that reason but between everything I am doing the fat is coming off fast. For now I wear baggy clothes a lot cause it costs too much to constantly replace everything from day clothes, workout clothes, underwear, pajamas and coats. I lounge around the house in clothes 3 sizes too big. I need to get a winter coat before it turns cold but I don't know what size I should get. If I wait till cold weather the store won't have anything.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM

331 posts, read 990,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
But according to Miss Manners, rudeness is not responded to by being rude in return...
Miss Manners can suck it. You don't see me telling her how she should live her life, so she can butt out of mine.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM

258 posts, read 540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Seems everyone is an expert on diet and exercise from the anorexic to the morbidly obese and everyone else in between. I ran into a bad situation this weekend that went from bad to worse and would like input if others have dealt with this and how. I went to a dinner..yeah I hate eating out but made an exception because my tai chi class wanted to go out. Mostly the class is rather grumpy older women. They all sorta ganged up on me berating me for working out 2-2 1/2 hours a day 5-6 days a week even though I dropped 3 sizes and feel better than I have since I was in my 20's. The instructor is rail-thin having been a ballerina all her life and is still young. Well instructor insisted to lose weight one never needs to exercise and exercise is not even needed for anything ... PERIOD. Sure I understand calories intake however having gained weight through a combination of injuries causing me to go from hiking 5 miles several days a week and doing 2 hours of taekwondo & judo daily to becoming unable to even walk my injuries were so bad. Then came the doctor pushing steriods for joint injuries, asthma and autoimmune illness. Then came 11 yrs working at a desk. Then came eating twice a day thus ruining my metabolism by unknowingly putting my body in starvation mode. I really think I do need to exercise to get my body working right plus I just enjoy it. And I think muscles look sexy ...call me weird if you want!

So because of my history I maintain that I need to exercise including one hour of cardio plus weight lifting. Well another woman chimed in that someone at the hospital said 30 mins 3 times a week is only exercise needed. I disagreed that just because a hospital employee said it doesn't mean anything because even current recommendations are saying 1 hour a day is better and that they said 30 3 times a week only because people would balk if they said more. It went downhill from there as I said I was still going to go to gym regardless and that I was not going to eat bread products there because those are not good for you. Anyways really long story short now everyone is mad at everyone else and dinner was like living hell and ended with one old lady going into a screaming fit.

I'm assuming others here get unwanted advice too. How do you deal with it? I mean besides ignoring it I mean what do you say in social settings? Or do you just go mute and say nothing? But then that might make you look antisocial.
Ignore them. Either someone is for you or against you. Anti-social? Please that is the least thing to worry about. Just tell them that you refuse to talk about exercise with them.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
Usually I laugh and agree so they go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness