Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,677 times

Advertisements

And here we go yet again....
Some examples:
*You asume that someone who takes a supplement takes it instead of eating food rather than as a small complement to a sound mealplan... that said, I prefer not to have to make chicken sandwiches before every gym session. Food at home, powder at the gym, simple. 5-7 meals a day from wholefood, 0-1 from supps. many multis are overdosed, this is true, but why? if you'll only absorb a third and **** out the rest, and a little extra wont hurt then 350% is no big deal. You have to overdose vitamins A LOT to make it harmful...
*"Load of toxic metals" this is simply not the case for most supplements, unless US regulations suck in comprarson to what they are here(northern Europe). there are heavy metals, but not in quantities to be worried of unless you want to cut out most wholefoods aswell...A common misconception is that all metals are dangerous, while some of them are need, for example iron in hemoglobin among other things.
"die from lifting weight" yeah this have happened, but you risk dying every time you cross the street aswell, I hope it doesn't keep you from doing that?

You've also refered to articles that might aswell be used to argue the other direction.

And yeah some supps should not be taken by people in certain conditions, like if I had a girlfriend/wife who was pregnant I'd oppose her taking stuff.
There is a risk to benefit ratio and bottom line is that every individual has to asses their goals to the potential risks.
Are these things dangerous? no you run a higher risk of getting a heart attack from your grandkids pranks or getting hit by a car... Look around, how many people do you know that died in exercise/supplement related deaths?

And when it comes to all this research, the swedish "livsmedelsverket" (equivalent to FDA) have classed so much food as having potential risks, that you die from starvation if you avoided all of these, if I'm not mistaken even boiled potatoes was shown to elevate risk of cancer for a while...or was it rice? either way, You can either over-analyze the risks of every kind of food and still come up short in some way or you decide where you set your tolerance.

A good example of this is alcohol, this is poison, everybody knows it yet many people drink it because of the effects they see as positive. Most people who argue for more controlled drinking will admit they enjoy wine or beer every now and then.
Alcohol is by all means a drug, just look at the effects on the brain, and the addictive nature of it, yet it is legal almost everywhere in the world.

And yeah by all means measure your blood pressure before and after training, and take a reference on somebody you trust is healthy in the blood-pressure aspect. You'll find that it's the pressure before that you need to worry about, the pressure while resting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
And here we go yet again....
Some examples:
*You asume that someone who takes a supplement takes it instead of eating food rather than as a small complement to a sound mealplan... that said, I prefer not to have to make chicken sandwiches before every gym session. Food at home, powder at the gym, simple. 5-7 meals a day from wholefood, 0-1 from supps. many multis are overdosed, this is true, but why? if you'll only absorb a third and **** out the rest, and a little extra wont hurt then 350% is no big deal. You have to overdose vitamins A LOT to make it harmful...

Again you display your ignorance. See here for what excess vitamin B6 can do: Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - sources, benefits, dosage, deficiency, overdose, toxicity . Vitamin B12 is benign. But folic acid? That 350 % puts the intake from the supplement alone above the upper recommended dose of 1000 micrograms per day: Folic acid (folate, vitamin B9) - sources, benefits, dosage, deficiency, overdose, toxicity :

"Toxicity from excessive folic acid intake does not normally occur, as folic acid is water soluble and regularly excreted by the body. According to the National Academy of Sciences, the daily intake of folic acid in adults should not exceed 1,000 mcg. Very high doses of this vitamin offer no additional therapeutic value. Very high doses (above 15,000 mcg) can cause stomach problems, sleep problems, skin reactions, and seizures." (Emphasis mine - Suzy Q.)

A multi vitamin can add another 400 micrograms per day, and it totally ignores any consumed in the diet. In the US, that can be significant, since many foods are fortified with it. True, it is hard to get too much of these three vitamins. The question is why do the supplement manufacturers feel a need to put excessive amounts of these vitamins in their products? The high doses are unnecessary. Why pay for them?

*"Load of toxic metals" this is simply not the case for most supplements, unless US regulations suck in comprarson to what they are here(northern Europe). there are heavy metals, but not in quantities to be worried of unless you want to cut out most wholefoods aswell...A common misconception is that all metals are dangerous, while some of them are need, for example iron in hemoglobin among other things.

Supplements are poorly regulated in the US. Manufacturers can pretty much do anything they want as long as they do not claim to treat a disease. They do not have to prove a product is effective, and they will only get into trouble if the product causes harm and they get caught.

Arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury are not used by the human body for anything. We get some from the diet and the environment. Why would anyone want to add
more from a supplement?

And you can even get too much iron: See here: http://www.arltma.com/IronToxDoc.htm (broken link) .

Men and postmenopausal women do not need to take iron unless there is a documented deficiency. Iron deficiency in men is rare and means there is a source of bleeding somewhere until proven otherwise. If you are male and taking a vitamin with iron, switch to one without iron. If you are male and you have taken iron for an extended period of time, discuss with your doctor whether you should have your iron levels measured.

"die from lifting weight" yeah this have happened, but you risk dying every time you cross the street aswell, I hope it doesn't keep you from doing that?

You will note that I did say that weight lifting can be healthy. What I object to is your statement that there are no risks associated with elevated blood pressure during lifting. There are risks, though small, and lifters need to be aware of them. The average recreational lifter who does it for fitness and toning does not need to "push it to the max" to see benefit, and the hazard is primarily with heavy lifting.

You've also refered to articles that might aswell be used to argue the other direction.

Explain, please.

And yeah some supps should not be taken by people in certain conditions, like if I had a girlfriend/wife who was pregnant I'd oppose her taking stuff.
There is a risk to benefit ratio and bottom line is that every individual has to asses their goals to the potential risks.

And there are populations of people for whom lifting heavy may have more riks than benefits. You seem to ignore this.

Are these things dangerous? no you run a higher risk of getting a heart attack from your grandkids pranks or getting hit by a car... Look around, how many people do you know that died in exercise/supplement related deaths?

Again, the risk is low, but there are people who are at higher risk. You can't just blow it off and advise everyone that the extremely high blood pressures associated with heavy lifting are totally benign.

And when it comes to all this research, the swedish "livsmedelsverket" (equivalent to FDA) have classed so much food as having potential risks, that you die from starvation if you avoided all of these, if I'm not mistaken even boiled potatoes was shown to elevate risk of cancer for a while...or was it rice? either way, You can either over-analyze the risks of every kind of food and still come up short in some way or you decide where you set your tolerance.

A good example of this is alcohol, this is poison, everybody knows it yet many people drink it because of the effects they see as positive. Most people who argue for more controlled drinking will admit they enjoy wine or beer every now and then.
Alcohol is by all means a drug, just look at the effects on the brain, and the addictive nature of it, yet it is legal almost everywhere in the world.

Neither of these topics is germane to the issue of supplements, blood pressure, and lifting.

And yeah by all means measure your blood pressure before and after training, and take a reference on somebody you trust is healthy in the blood-pressure aspect. You'll find that it's the pressure before that you need to worry about, the pressure while resting.

My advice to Tex is still to discuss lifting heavy with his doctor, especially if he does turn out to have a diagnosis of high blood pressure. And you do need to be concerned about blood pressure during lifting, too. Use proper form and do not hold your breath during lifting.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM

9 posts, read 12,549 times
I think a healthy and balanced diet with regular exercise will avoid such complications. Even practicing yoga is very helpful to lead a healthy disease free life.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apy3241 View Post
I think a healthy and balanced diet with regular exercise will avoid such complications. Even practicing yoga is very helpful to lead a healthy disease free life.
What do you consider regular exercise?

What about someone who is building muscles and staying lean, low Bod, low body, six pack etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What do you consider regular exercise?

What about someone who is building muscles and staying lean, low Bod, low body, six pack etc.

Good to see you back, Tex. What did you find out about your blood pressure?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good to see you back, Tex. What did you find out about your blood pressure?
120/80. Sometimes slightly lower.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
120/80. Sometimes slightly lower.
Sounds perfect to me!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sounds perfect to me!
Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness