Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice their blood pressure go up taking a supp like White Flood or Superpump 250?

Do you know anyone or have experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone notice their blood pressure go up taking a supp like White Flood or Superpump 250?

Do you know anyone or have experienced this?
White Flood contains caffeine.

It also contains huperzine A. See here: Alzforum: Drugs In Clinical Trials - Huperzine A

"Huperzine A may cause seizures or heart rhythm changes. It may also be associated with blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, and increased saliva and sweat."

And gamma aminobutyric acid: Side Effects of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid can increase blood pressure.

Superpump 250 contains a slew of stuff, including turkesterone, hyped as an anabolic steroid without the dangers of anabolic steroids. I cannot find anything scientific about it. If it truly works like an anabolic steroid, then it would probably be wise not to use it.

Why do you feel you need to use this junk?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM

So Caffeine in general would make the BP go high?
I have not had any symptoms for Huperzine.

This is not junk! Pre-workout supp is a MUST for me for lifting heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
White Flood contains caffeine.

It also contains huperzine A. See here: Alzforum: Drugs In Clinical Trials - Huperzine A

"Huperzine A may cause seizures or heart rhythm changes. It may also be associated with blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, and increased saliva and sweat."

And gamma aminobutyric acid: Side Effects of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid can increase blood pressure.

Superpump 250 contains a slew of stuff, including turkesterone, hyped as an anabolic steroid without the dangers of anabolic steroids. I cannot find anything scientific about it. If it truly works like an anabolic steroid, then it would probably be wise not to use it.

Why do you feel you need to use this junk?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
So Caffeine in general would make the BP go high?
I have not had any symptoms for Huperzine.

This is not junk! Pre-workout supp is a MUST for me for lifting heavy.

What do you expect it to do? I do my heavy lifting in the yard!

This one is good, but technical: ISSN exercise & sport nutrition review: research & recommendations

You may be overwhelmed when you start reading this, but keep going. There are sections that discuss which supplements work and which have little evidence of doing any good.

This chart from the article summarizes the findings: PubMed Central, : J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010; 7: 7. Published online 2010 February 2. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-7-7.

Why don't you take a peek and come back with questions?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Do you lift free weights? Do you think I am ok taking White Flood and/or Superpump 250? I am going to see my primary physician next week.

I suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia and I take Rx for this but my Neurosurgeon told me that my BP was slightly high and I should try taking a Rx for lowering BP and that would eliminate my nerve pain along with the current Rx I am taking.

Quote:
What do you expect it to do? I do my heavy lifting in the yard!

This one is good, but technical: ISSN exercise & sport nutrition review: research & recommendations

You may be overwhelmed when you start reading this, but keep going. There are sections that discuss which supplements work and which have little evidence of doing any good.

This chart from the article summarizes the findings: PubMed Central, : J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010; 7: 7. Published online 2010 February 2. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-7-7.

Why don't you take a peek and come back with questions?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Do you lift free weights? Do you think I am ok taking White Flood and/or Superpump 250? I am going to see my primary physician next week.

I suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia and I take Rx for this but my Neurosurgeon told me that my BP was slightly high and I should try taking a Rx for lowering BP and that would eliminate my nerve pain along with the current Rx I am taking.

I am over 60 and female. The heavy lifting I do is my yard work, but that involves keeping about 9 acres tidy!

What are you trying to accomplish with the weights? If it is for toning and fitness and you do not need to lose fat, probably all you need to do is increase your protein intake with dietary sources. If you are training for a competitive sport, then certain supplements can be helpful (creatine, protein, essential amino acids).

The article that I linked to in my last post listed some supplement ingredients that are not advisable:

Muscle building:

Glutamine
Smilax
Isoflavones
Sulfo-polysaccharides (myostatin inhibitors)
Boron
Chromium
Conjugated linoleic acids
Gamma oryzanol
Prohormones
Tribulus terrestris
Vanadyl sulfate (vanadium)

Performance:

Glutamine
Ribose
Inosine

Weight loss:

Calcium Pyruvate
Chitosan
Chromium (non-diabetics)
HCA
L-Carnitine
Phosphates
Herbal diuretics

Since the White Flood and Superpump 250 contain some of the substances on this list, I would rate them unacceptable. You are wasting your money.

Some of the other ingredients are of potential but unproven benefit.

If you use a supplement, just choose a protein product, not one with all the other weird stuff --- the junk --- that just makes it cost more.

If your blood pressure is high, you should discuss the lifting with your doctor. Your pressure can increase dramatically during lifts.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 PM

I like to stay fit and toned and I have a busy schedule. If these supplements were waste of money then it would not be on the market for long. It works for me as far as muscle toning goes. I try to get as much protein as possible close to my lbs. White Flood and Superpump 250 have Creatine Monohydrate in there.

I also do Cardio so thats good to lower the blood pressure right?

I am going to have to monitor my BP.

Plus I am talking to a over '60' year old 'woman'.

Quote:
I am over 60 and female. The heavy lifting I do is my yard work, but that involves keeping about 9 acres tidy!

What are you trying to accomplish with the weights? If it is for toning and fitness and you do not need to lose fat, probably all you need to do is increase your protein intake with dietary sources. If you are training for a competitive sport, then certain supplements can be helpful (creatine, protein, essential amino acids).

The article that I linked to in my last post listed some supplement ingredients that are not advisable:

Muscle building:

Glutamine
Smilax
Isoflavones
Sulfo-polysaccharides (myostatin inhibitors)
Boron
Chromium
Conjugated linoleic acids
Gamma oryzanol
Prohormones
Tribulus terrestris
Vanadyl sulfate (vanadium)

Performance:

Glutamine
Ribose
Inosine

Weight loss:

Calcium Pyruvate
Chitosan
Chromium (non-diabetics)
HCA
L-Carnitine
Phosphates
Herbal diuretics

Since the White Flood and Superpump 250 contain some of the substances on this list, I would rate them unacceptable. You are wasting your money.

Some of the other ingredients are of potential but unproven benefit.

If you use a supplement, just choose a protein product, not one with all the other weird stuff --- the junk --- that just makes it cost more.

If your blood pressure is high, you should discuss the lifting with your doctor. Your pressure can increase dramatically during lifts.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM

271 posts, read 785,396 times
I have used N.O. Xplode, Superpump 250 and Jack3d. I had a doctor's appointment after I worked out one day and I had taken a pre-workout supplement and my blood pressure was pretty high. I mentioned the supplements and she advised that I stop taking them completely. I didn't want to at first, I think I took them for a few more months and then I stopped taking them altogether which I think was a wise decision. You don't need them to work-out. I think my mind tricked me into thinking that I needed it to work-out, which I don't. For most exercises I lift heavy enough that I can only do 6-8 reps, so I'm not taking it easy. If you're planning on lifting for life I would ditch the habit now...it's not necessary, plus they're expensive!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:

I lift heavy and use free weights. The only supplement I take is a multi-vitamin. But then again, I'm not trying to get "big" or train for a sport either. Just trying to lose some weight.

If I'm feeling that I need a boost before my workouts then I check my diet. For me it usually means that I need to up my carbs for lunch or have a snack before I workout.

Given your blood pressure concerns, I would tweak your diet before turning to supplements. A lot of people seem to forget that food is fuel and many don't use it as intended.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I like to stay fit and toned and I have a busy schedule. If these supplements were waste of money then it would not be on the market for long. It works for me as far as muscle toning goes. I try to get as much protein as possible close to my lbs. White Flood and Superpump 250 have Creatine Monohydrate in there.

I also do Cardio so thats good to lower the blood pressure right?

I am going to have to monitor my BP.

Plus I am talking to a over '60' year old 'woman'.

The supplements stay on the market because people are gullible enough to buy them. If it's on the shelf in a health foods store, it has to be "healthy," right?

Cardio does help with blood pressure, but age and genetics play a part. You can be thin and fit and still have high blood pressure.

See what Consumer Reports has to say here: Protein Drinks: How much protein? Consumer Reports

And here: Protein Drinks: Consumer Reports

How about some arsenic, cadmium, lead, or mercury with your protein?

Since supplements are essentially unregulated by the FDA, manufacturers have been known to slip in ingredients that are not even on the label, including anabolic steroids and ephedra (which is banned in the US). If your blood pressure has gone up while you have been using a supplement, it is possible that there is something in it that you do not want to be getting. I would be more concerned if you are young with no risk factors for high blood pressure.

If you want to use a protein supplement, choose one that is just protein. Leave out all the other garbage that has not been shown to either build muscle or improve performance. Choose a protein product that is U. S. Pharmacopeia approved: USP Verified Dietary Supplements .

Did you read the article linked in my first post? The people who wrote it are sports nutrition experts. Just scroll through the technical stuff. Read the information about the various ingredients. Pay attention to the section on "strategic eating." You may be concentrating on protein when what you need is carbs. And you may not be eating protein at the optimum time.

Recreational athletes can most often obtain all the protein they need from diet. According to the ISSN review, "The best dietary sources of low fat, high quality protein are light skinless chicken, fish, egg white and skim milk (casein and whey). The best sources of high quality protein found in nutritional supplements are whey, colostrum, casein, milk proteins and egg protein."

And I may be an old broad, but I have a hubby who was an All American swimmer and I reared two sons. I know how to feed males!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness