Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times

Advertisements

Cyclist and runner suffering my first hamstring injury. I had a sore hamstring on left leg from cycling, didn't let it heal 100% went for a 4 mile run and really injured it. My calve, behind the knee, hamstring and even the glutues are sore. Missing a little feeling in my 3 little toes probably because of how tight the calve still is. Slowly getting better.
How can I tell when it is safe to start running/cycling again?
Any limitations upon re-starting?
What other advice for getting over the injury? Been doing warm baths, icing, Ben-Gay/Icy hot, pain-killer/anti-imflamatory and just started doing some light stretching and short walks. Still having difficulty walking without a limp, but it is getting better although slowly.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,908 times
Sounds like your doing all the right stuff except maybe skimping on the "rest" part. Try contrast bath (warm and cold water treatments about a couple of minutes in each, start in the warm and finish in the warm. Sprains or tears to a muscle can take some time to heal. Try to get someone to massage that area. The walking and gentle stretching should be good for it as long as you don't over do it. Most important...give it rest and time. Your body will let you know when your ready to get back into your normal routine. You said it is starting to feel better...good sign otherwise if it didn't you should see your dr. who can prescribe physical therapy to help it along.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
Quote:
Cyclist and runner suffering my first hamstring injury. I had a sore hamstring on left leg from cycling, didn't let it heal 100% went for a 4 mile run and really injured it. My calve, behind the knee, hamstring and even the glutues are sore. Missing a little feeling in my 3 little toes probably because of how tight the calve still is. Slowly getting better.
How can I tell when it is safe to start running/cycling again?
Any limitations upon re-starting?
What other advice for getting over the injury? Been doing warm baths, icing, Ben-Gay/Icy hot, pain-killer/anti-imflamatory and just started doing some light stretching and short walks. Still having difficulty walking without a limp, but it is getting better although slowly.
Thanks.
Dang! If you posted a bit more info, I can recommend some stuff to you with regard to rehab/soft tissue-work/corrective exercise.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I've had minor hamstring pulls and always tried to go back too soon. Despite what I wanted, my body usually wanted 3 weeks. You have something major though so just rough guessing I would say 2 months.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
In addition to the good advice the others have already given I'd just add once you are on the mend you need to do really light weights exercises for your hamstrings. Runners are known for getting muscle imbalance where their quads are way stronger than hamstring which leads to hamstring injuries. I had same problem from biking. I found I was working my quads way more than hamstrings and have felt better by gradually building up strength in hamstrings. Always stretching before exercise helps too!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
Only push as far as you comfortably can

Do yoga

Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 15,813 times
Specific stretching for the calves, hamstrings and gluts are in order. Make sure that you are holding your stretches for an adequate amount of time, usually 20 - 30 seconds and repeating these same stretches 3 times is sufficient. Along with that a therapeutic or injury massage for these sore areas. Warm baths with epsom salt should help to relieve the soreness. Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-23-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness