Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
When I said do 10-15 reps I was talking about PER SET. Not total reps from the entire workout.
Who said 10-15 reps per workout? Do you really think people here are so stupid that we didn't understand what you meant? We did. But 10-15 reps per set is still too many. If you can perform 15 reps per set, then the weight you're using is too light. Seriously, how can you think you'll gain muscle using such light weight?

Quote:
Lifting weight is not a very effective way to burn fat. You do burn calories while weight training of course, but doing cardio can burn 3x or 4x as many calories. It's much smarter to use weight training to build muscle, and cardio to burn the fat.
Not effective? So I guess you're unaware that weight training keeps your metabolism elevated long after your workout is over. With traditional steady-state cardio, you're burning calories during the workout, but nothing afterward. On the other hand, if you do HIIT, it'll have the same effect as weight training, meaning that it keeps your metabolism elevated even after you're done working out. Second, the calorie burning potential of traditional cardio is vastly overstated. If you're lucky, you'll burn 10 calories per minute. More likely, you'll burn about 5 calories per minute. That means a 60 minute session on the treadmill will burn off 300-600 calories. Given how many calories are in a pound, if you're relying on cardio to burn off excess fat, you're going to be spending a lot of time on the treadmill. That's why a more effective fat loss plan incorporates weight training and HIIT, both of which provide an afterburn effect that traditional cardio doesn't.

Quote:
Training is simple. The common newbie mistake is to overcomplicate it with bro-science and complex nutrition and physiology theories. It's not necessarry. Just keep it simple and do it the old fashioned way.
False. The common newbie is looking for the simple solution. It's only when they become inundated with the vast amount of information out there that they get overwhelmed and confused. And if you think just doing things the old fashioned way will get you results, you've obviously been living in a cave. 95% of dieters fail to lose the weight and keep it off. So that tells you right there why doing things the old fashioned way isn't very smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
I'm a woman and I don't even like to go above 10 reps per set.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
for strength I do 1-8 reps per set, for endurance I usually do 15 reps.

Not sure how weight training doesn't help you lose fat. The original post said cals in vs cals out. I think weight training fits into this premise.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM

465 posts, read 463,800 times
When you do 10-15 reps you get an awesome pump on your muscles and this rep range is better if you are lifting for bodybuilding purposes and want to make your muscles grow. Even 8 or 9 reps would be on the low end for this kind of training.

When you go below 8 reps, you are going into the realm of strength training. But you won't give your muscles a good pump or make them hypertrophy.

There is a difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle size.

I've met a lot of really good bodybuilders. And almost all of them trained with this kind of rep range. 10-15 was standard and done about 80% of the time, this is the main backbone of their workout. And they'd throw in heavier sets too in the 4-8 rep range to gain strength and shock their muscles

Both styles have their benefits and drawbacks. And it's best to incorporate both into a workout. But the low ranges really aren't as useful overall.

Personally, i've almost always lifted for bodybuilding purposes so that's where i'm coming from. A lot of you all sound like you're going or strength or performance.

Lot's of people just wanna look cool with a huge amount of weight on the bar, then they'll push out like 5 crappy reps with poor range of motion. This is not a good way to train.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM

This guy said that 12 reps is the minimum he does on working sets. Arnold trained like that too. It obviously works for some people.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Granny Sue; 11-04-2010 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
for strength I do 1-8 reps per set, for endurance I usually do 15 reps.

Not sure how weight training doesn't help you lose fat. The original post said cals in vs cals out. I think weight training fits into this premise.
Weight training DOES help you lose fat. I never said it didn't.

But studies show that cardio burns up to 4x as many calories as lifting.

So, if you want to lose fat, cardio should be the cornerstone of your regiman.

You shouldn't count on weight lifting for it's fat burning effects, and you shouldn't use weight training to burn fat. Because it's fat burning effects are relatively mild. It's better to just think of it as an added bonus.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyuwAkf3r8

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
This guy said that 12 reps is the minimum he does on working sets. Arnold trained like that too. It obviously works for some people.
I don't want to look like that so I'll stick with what I'm doing.

And the more reps I do the poorer my form starts to get. I like to keep them low and do more sets.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
NomadRefugee,

Where are you getting this information? It just sounds so unbelievably misinformed. First of all, 10-15 reps per set may give your muscles a pump, but it won't lead to hypertrophy. 8-9 reps isn't on the low end if your goal is to gain muscle. Second, you seem to think going lower will favor strength over growth. But strength follows growth, something has been saying for years. You used the word shock when talking about lower rep ranges. Well that's what you're trying to do when you want to gain muscle. Shock your body into changing.

And I love how you keep glossing over the fact that weight training elevates your metabolism. You keep talking about calories burned during the exercise session but ignore the post-workout burn. Why do you keep doing that? Also, what about muscle loss? Since muscle is a big determinant of metabolism and people on a fat loss plan are in a caloric deficit, muscle loss becomes a serious concern. That's why weigh training is so critical to fat loss. You could do tons of cardio and burn lots of calories, but if you don't supplement with weight training, a lot of that weight loss will be muscle. Weight training, besides elevating your metabolism, will send an unmistakable signal to your body to retain muscle. Which brings up back to reps per set. What keeps that muscle on is what gave it to you in the first place, which is lifting heavy. Lift light and you tell your body that you don't as much muscle.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
NomadRefugee,

Where are you getting this information? It just sounds so unbelievably misinformed. First of all, 10-15 reps per set may give your muscles a pump, but it won't lead to hypertrophy. 8-9 reps isn't on the low end if your goal is to gain muscle. Second, you seem to think going lower will favor strength over growth. But strength follows growth, something has been saying for years. You used the word shock when talking about lower rep ranges. Well that's what you're trying to do when you want to gain muscle. Shock your body into changing.

And I love how you keep glossing over the fact that weight training elevates your metabolism. You keep talking about calories burned during the exercise session but ignore the post-workout burn. Why do you keep doing that? Also, what about muscle loss? Since muscle is a big determinant of metabolism and people on a fat loss plan are in a caloric deficit, muscle loss becomes a serious concern. That's why weigh training is so critical to fat loss. You could do tons of cardio and burn lots of calories, but if you don't supplement with weight training, a lot of that weight loss will be muscle. Weight training, besides elevating your metabolism, will send an unmistakable signal to your body to retain muscle. Which brings up back to reps per set. What keeps that muscle on is what gave it to you in the first place, which is lifting heavy. Lift light and you tell your body that you don't as much muscle.

That is exactly same info I read on any quality bodybuilding site. That is what all the top bodybuilders at my gym do and we have a good 7-8 that are pro and win championships. I think Nomad is just trolling since he busts onto the exercise forum and starts telling everyone else misinformation from the get go. And what's up with him posting numerous pics of pro body builders as if somehow that is suppose to prove his point? It would be different if he was actually posting a pic of himself and saying this is how I got this way. But no he uses other people's pics.

The general rule of thumb I've heard is high weights low reps to build muscle. The only ones that do low weights high reps are either recovering from injuries or else women who are scared silly they are going to turn into the Hulk if they lift much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness