Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Weight-loss surgery may soon become a lot more common, as the FDA considers a request to lower the weight threshold for Lap-Band patients. Allergan, the company that makes the band, wants to reduce the minimum BMI from 40 to 35, which could double the number of Americans eligible for the operation.

FDA Considers Lap-Band Surgery for the Less Obese - Proposal could double number of eligible Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Hmmm, well, stop the presses for a news flash: The FDA is not purely a regulatory agency, but is in the pockets of the companies that manufacture medical supplies.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I guess the REAL question is why would the "less obese" even consider such a surgery? This is not good.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Isn't a BMI of 35 still pretty large?

Unless I was on the threshold of death, I would not choose surgery for weight loss. I have known a few people who have done it and the results were scary - yellow skin, straw hair falling out, and saggy skin.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
a bmi of 35 is still fairly large...
right now most insurances will accept you for WLS with a bmi of 35 IF you also have a co-morbidity (asthma, sleep apnea ect...) while 40 is typically an automatic aproval.

my concern with lowering the standard bmi is that there are alot of people in the wolrd who think that wls is "the easy way out"
even now as i attend wls forums i see folks with a surgery start weight of only 215-230 getting wls and these people loose the weight just like anyone else that gets wls, but they tend to loose too much and have more issues...

i personally feel weight loss surgery of any kind should be a last resort...
it should be "ive tried everythign and cant do this on my own" situation...
(though im ok with lower bmi's that have weight related health issues that could be life threatening)

i just worry that lowering the bmi will make the surgery too acessable to those who think its an "easy way" to loose the weight...
or people looking to loose vanity lbs ect.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 PM

82 posts, read 169,593 times
Don't be so judgmental folks - I had lap band surgery with a BMI of 35 and a co-morbidity of high cholesterol, high sugar and a family history of diabetes and stroke... I lost 85 lbs and more importantly have maintained that weightloss for 2+ years. My LAPBAND IS the missing link to my previous weight loss attempts, which btw were very successful but not long-term. My blood pressure is now normal with no medication, my sugar is within normal ranges without medication but I still have a high normal cholesterol reading which is most likely hereditary but am currently below the threshold where I would have to resume taking my Zocor.

Lap band surgery is not an easy out, I don't have straw hair, vitamin deficiencies or have gained more than a pound or two back before I vigilantly put my poor eating behavior in check. What I have done is given myself a tool that helps promote self-discipline ... and my WLS doctor is vigilant that my weight loss totals are not "vanity driven", that I don't exhibit anorexic tendencies and I am on a path of maintaining or improving my health...

Honestly folks, it is easier for a diabetic that totally disregards their diet and destroys their kidneys to qualify for thousands of dollars in dialysis than it is to qualify for WLS that could save the health system thousands of dollars a year. REALLY???

Last edited by D2C21GC; 12-19-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: typos... why else?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
d2c i do agree with everything you said...

i just worry that the lower bmi now could lead to lower bmi later and ive already had a few people with mabe 40-50lbs to loose ask me about getting lapband/gastric bypass to help them loose "that last 50lbs" they think its some easy thing that can be done on a whim to loose vanity lbs and as you know, thats not the case...

but i worry that by lowering the bmi (i think 35 with co-morbidities is perfectly fair) would lessen the severity of such a surgery to the general public...
many people already see it as "the easy way out" and it should never even be considered unless all else has failed and your at a serious health risk from your weight.

(i had Bypass with a bmi of almost 45)

Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Foxy, I agree that lap band surgery should be used only in the most severe cases, not as the easy way to lose fifty pounds or the like. A few years ago I read something about a man who weighed something like 600 or 700 pounds, something incredible like that. His plan was to manage his eating and start exercising and get his weight down to 300, and then get surgery so he could lose the rest of the weight. I read that and had a reaction like, huh? At 300 pounds, why not lose the last 100, 140, whatever, the same way he'd lost the first 400? Didn't make sense at all the way he planned to do it.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
If it came down to lap-band vs. a life with diabetes, then yes, I'd too choose the lap-band. I believe there is a certain point where one's body becomes out of control and even those who try to stay on a stringent diet are fighting against their pancrease and blood sugar to do so, especially those already too large to exercise effectively. We have a real problem with the preservatives in foods and our GMO foods which I believe are causing Americans in particular to gain and hold on to their weight.

Surgery should always be approached with extreme caution. However, isn't lap-band weight loss surgery more productive than those vanity plastic surgeries? Food for thought, so to speak. If the FDA wanted to be more productive in regard to weight gain, they would address those preservatives, GMOs and chinese glutens, IMO!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
I don't think they should make it any easier to get any kind of weight loss surgery. There are way too many complications. I almost died. I didn't have the lapband, but each surgery has major risks. Even if they are rare, people considering any kind of weight loss surgery should know what the complications are and they should have to jump through hoops to prove they understand. If it becomes easier for people to have the surgery they will naturally think its because it must be safer than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness