Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times

Advertisements

People who dress in the shower stalls while the private dressing area sits empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
1. Leaving the area dripping with your sweat...ewwww
2. Either talking loudly on your cell or to someone else while on the treadmill next to me so I have to turn up my music/tv all the way so I dont have to listen to you meanwhile blowing out my eardrums
3. Leaving your your papertowel/empty water bottle/garbage behind
4. Taking 3 different sets of weights and holding them by your bench so you can superset or do whatever instead of leaving them so others can use them while you are not...sharing people!!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
1) Leaving personal effects like towels and keys....on a machine.

2) Grunters who continue to grunt after the set is done. One guy is so bad that I considered a thread about him. He grunts for twenty minutes during a twenty minutes mork out. I think he is an attention *****.

3) Watchers...those who are more interested in other work outs than their own.

4) People who use two machines at the same time (they alternate) and think you should leave both machines alone. When approaching a machine, I sometimes wonder if one of those curcuit trainers will try to jump me. I loathe breaks in concentration that such things cause.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
1. i notice some guy who lost weight (good for him) has gotten progressively louder. last couple of times in the gym the guy is shouting his conversation constantly.

2. people who stand near me while im using a machine or something because they either want to work in or wait for me to be done. i dont want you to work in with me or stand near me, go away.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
At the gym I worked out at last year there were two and sometimes three specific women (that worked out every morning *sigh*) who moved all the rather heavy furniture around to accommodate custom workouts using benches as steps, barbells and dumb bells and racks and benches in odd combinations. They moved about 90% of it back at the end of their workouts but the real problem was that they worked out for a solid 1.5 hours which meant those of us who wanted to use the racks or benches or anything else the moved around really had to get to the gym early or after these women were done.

On a positive note, these women had rock'in bodies and some really neat ideas they pulled from magazines that I was able to incorporate into my own workouts (but with less furniture moving as I'd rather get pumped moving iron vs re-arranging the gym).

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
My pet peeve: there exists no gym where I can pay as I go, without paying a prohibitive amount. I shouldn't have to pay a $80 "membership fee" up front, if I don't want to be a member.

Hear this, local gyms: I don't want to be a member. I just want to rent your equipment for a half hour a day, three times a week, for two months.

If I have to pay a membership fee, or commit to a year's worth of "only $10/month!" to get 2 months worth of actual use, then I'll just skip the gym and pray for good enough weather that I can walk and ride my bicycle.

I would RATHER work out in your gym AND ride my bike and walk. That would be ideal. I'm not interested in membership benefits. I don't care about discounts on smoothies. If I want a frozen blended fruit drink I'll make myself a pina colada, thankyouverymuch.

I don't work out at a gym, because I can't afford to pay for the membership fee, and I have no interest to commit to a year. You have to do either one or the other around here. And in some cases, both.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
im gonna add another:

people who give advice that dont know what they are talking about. some idiot was ranting in the locker room the other day and he was a total moron. the worst part is that someone even dumber than him asked him for advice.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
At the gym I worked out at last year there were two and sometimes three specific women (that worked out every morning *sigh*) who moved all the rather heavy furniture around to accommodate custom workouts using benches as steps, barbells and dumb bells and racks and benches in odd combinations. They moved about 90% of it back at the end of their workouts but the real problem was that they worked out for a solid 1.5 hours which meant those of us who wanted to use the racks or benches or anything else the moved around really had to get to the gym early or after these women were done.

On a positive note, these women had rock'in bodies and some really neat ideas they pulled from magazines that I was able to incorporate into my own workouts (but with less furniture moving as I'd rather get pumped moving iron vs re-arranging the gym).
1.5 hours/day of working out...that is a great deal in my opinion.

I have wondered how many obnoxious gym ideas come from magazines, books, and videos. I suspect most come from magazines.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I don't understand people who criticize obese people for boeing at the gym. Isn't that what the gym is for,to become healthier?
I also don't understand people who criticize someone for going to slow on machines. Isn't the idea that you go at your own pace first? You know,doing what's best for you?

Yet we wonder why a lot of people are obese. We get criticized even if we do try to work on it,like going to the gym.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
spandex... on men or large women.
Dress codes should be strictly enforced.
There's a guy at my gym in his 50's that looks like he's trying out for American Gladiators every time he goes to the gym.
There's also a 6' 2"200lb woman in short shorts and a half top.
Very disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness