Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,918,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I know plenty of very attractive women who don't like men staring at them, in the gym or outside.
This may be true, but most people learn to ignore it and not waste their time with those people. But at the gym you should really be focusing on your workout. If you have time to assess who is staring at you or supposedly judging you, perhaps you shouldn't be at the gym or you need a tougher workout. A pet peeve of mine includes the leisurely exerciser who takes their time on the machines. Either put some effort into it or go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,785,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I don't know...I agree with others. Your verbiage doesn't exude confidence. It exudes defensiveness which is what happens when the insecure button is pushed. JMHO. Most people are more concerned about working out than paying attention to whether someone is looking at them, etc. Perhaps you need to find a new gym if the clientele there is making you uncomfortable. If you have the option. Otherwise, focus on your workout and ignore others. I couldn't tell you what the person next to me looks like unless they are always at the gym too. It works to ignore people!
I was commenting on another post. She said, gawking. Yes, I've seen looking. No big deal. Didn't say it was.

This is a thread about pet peeves at the gym. To say, you don't notice anything in the gym, then you wouldn't have any peeves.

My gym is in the workplace. If I go at a specific time, then I know most of the people. I don't have a problem with my gym or the clientele.

To justify my security and confidence is laughable.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,638,935 times
Quote:
I know plenty of very attractive women who don't like men staring at them, in the gym or outside.

Attractive women are noticed by men in the gym and outside because it is a normal part of life. When they are in the gym, they are there to work out and are not scanning the room to figure out who is looking and who is not. It is a given that occasionally they are looked at (and occasionally look at others). They don't whine and complain about it because they have normal self-esteem.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Attractive women are noticed by men in the gym and outside because it is a normal part of life. When they are in the gym, they are there to work out and are not scanning the room to figure out who is looking and who is not. It is a given that occasionally they are looked at (and occasionally look at others). They don't whine and complain about it because they have normal self-esteem.
I wish they would hurry up and let me rep you. Here is yet another post that is 100% correct.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,918,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I was commenting on another post. She said, gawking. Yes, I've seen looking. No big deal. Didn't say it was.

This is a thread about pet peeves at the gym. To say, you don't notice anything in the gym, then you wouldn't have any peeves.

My gym is in the workplace. If I go at a specific time, then I know most of the people. I don't have a problem with my gym or the clientele.

To justify my security and confidence is laughable.
I tried to quote the post she did and yours. Why would anyone like you for example feel a sudden urge to join that poster in having a cat fight over insecurity. You probably should have just ignored her attack on you and been the bigger person, yet you chose to defend yourself to a perfect stranger and went down to her level. After all, you did say that you go to the gym at times to avoid certain people. I love most of my coworkers and our gym is impressive but I spend too much time with them as it is. So I think it is nice that you can do that. Oh, and as far as noticing things, all my pet peeves involve the time I am not on the treadmill running or doing the circuit training. Which thank goodness isn't that often!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:31 PM

76 posts, read 241,721 times
Quote:
This. Beauty is subjective. People act like they're not allowed to feel creeped out. Like women must be hush-hush about issues with men. Like no one has ever gotten the creeps from staring. That's what this topic is for.

Mad reps for this, and I'm not even a rep troll.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:11 PM

17 posts, read 27,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
OK if you want to go down this road I'll speak the truth and I'll make it blunt: The only women I hear complaining about men staring at them in the gym are highly unattractive with less-than-stellar bodies. And I am being kind. VERY kind. It's an artificial ego boost, and one I don't need. Few women who are fit and happy with their lives need to play the victim, and you are most certainly pulling that victim card.
Uh, no. If you learned how to read, you would know that she was talking about working her arms. Women who work their arms are usually NOT trying to be sexy, that's for sure.

The only insecure person I see is YOU.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I can't beleive how some are stuck in a time warp with the outfits they wear...
Some people still wear Flashdance sweatshirts, bicycle shorts, leg warmers, Olivia Newton John headbands. I mean c'mon already?
You need to get a life. Anybody who is that concerned about what others are wearing has obvious insecurity problems.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,638,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshalfpool View Post
Uh, no. If you learned how to read, you would know that she was talking about working her arms. Women who work their arms are usually NOT trying to be sexy, that's for sure.

The only insecure person I see is YOU.
You are hilarious. Well done, you obvious sock puppet!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Default Defining what the machines are there for

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
People who take an hour on the cardio machines during rush-hour, take a freaken class, the machines are there to warm up on, not run your f-n marathon.
My gym, like many others, has signs posted to limit the cardio machines to 20 minutes of use when others are waiting. So I agree it's rude to exceed this by more than a few minutes during rush hour. But I get irritated with my gym, which has 20 treadmills, when four of them are out of order and remain that way for several days; it makes rush hour that much worse.

However, I'm not sure about the part of your statement that I put in bold. If it's a general statement (not limited to rush hour), then it's arrogant to say what the machines are there for. Your only use of them may be to warm up on, and that's fine. But some people may want to use the cardio machines to do cardio! Imagine that! And sure, I agree that if "doing cardio" for a given person means more than 20 minutes, then that person should come at a time when others are not waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness