Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM

27 posts, read 52,249 times

Advertisements

I'm a 43 male 5'8 235 lbs. Just getting back 2 the gym after many years off and many pounds on lol. Goal weight 175-180 lbs. Right now I'm hitting the weights on Sun and Thurs and on the other 5 days doing 45 min of cardio. Keeping my calories to around 1500-2000 a day max. Since May when I started I've lost 30 lbs. I love my routine and so far it's been working. I have 3 workouts and I just alternate them.

Workout A

Dumbbell bench press (2 warm ups)
Wide grip pulldowns
Cable rows
Side laterals
Dumbbell shrugs
Standing dumbbell curls
Tricep pushdowns
Leg press (3 warm ups)
Seated leg curls
Standing calf raises (2 warm ups)
Incline sit ups 20 reps

Workout B

Dumbbell incline press (2 warm ups) 8-10 reps
Close grip pulldowns
T-bar rows
Upright rows
Bent over lateral raises
Barbell curls
Lying tricep extensions
Hack squats (3 warm ups)
Standing leg curls
Donkey calf raises (2 warm ups) 12-15 reps
Crunches 20 reps

Workout C

Flat dumbbell flyes (2 warm ups)
Medium grip pulldowns
One arm dumbbell rows
Dumbbell shoulder press 8-10 reps
Incline dumbbell curls
Overhead tricep rope extensions
Lower back extensions 12-15 reps
Leg extensions (2 warm ups)
Lying leg curls
Seated calf raises (2 warm ups) 12-15 reps
Leg raises 20 reps

All exercises are 3 sets. 10-12 reps on everything unless noted.
I drink a protein shake daily, take a pre workout drink, a multivitamin, and joint support capsules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:56 PM

434 posts, read 248,348 times
Looks a generic "workout" with no real aims or progression.

Whats your goals other then weight loss?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Muscle definition/strength/size. Like it so far but was wondering what if there is a exercise to add or take away if any. Or change the routine up? I work a physical job and don't need to overtrain.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
It's not bad but it's not optimal either. You didn't say what your rest interval was but if you're training for fat loss like I am you'll be doing depletion/metabolic work and that is going to require 12-20 reps with short rest intervals. I follow the workout plan that came with my diet and it recommends 1-3 sets of 12-15 reps on the following exercises with 1 minute rest intervals.

- leg press
- leg curl
- chest press
- rows
- lat raises
- biceps curls
- triceps
- crunch
- back extension

Your setup has some overlap on muscle groups and I really am not a fan of doing different workouts on different days, but at the very minimum I would up the reps to 12-15 and swap out some cardio for an extra lifting day. For progression, do the lifts until you can reach 15 reps with good form and then add weight which should bring you back into the 12 rep range and work back up to 15, then repeat.

I'd keep that up until you're at about 12% bodyfat, then switch to a simple strength workout until you hit 15%, then diet back down while doing the metabolic/depletion work until you're about 12% again and repeat.

What is your daily protein intake like?

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 AM

434 posts, read 248,348 times
Muscle definition comes from low body fat (diet) more than anything though ofc muscle size makes a difference.

If your losing weight your lifting will mean you lose more fat relative to muscle as your weight drops, though begineers can put some muscle on. Normally you need a calory surplus to put on muscle.

Strength and size programs differ alot.

Size - body building routines look similar to what your doing with reps per set around 10

Strength - powerlifting routines tend to use alot less reps but heavier weights per set (1-5) and compound exercises - squat, deadlift, bench etc

If you have a physical job, eating a good diet (loads of lean protein 1g/lb and green veggies) and sleeping well should keep you on track.

Other then that plan in rest weeks, alot of programs have them as 1 week in four, you can do the same routine but drop the weight you use. Key an eye on how you feel, if your constantly feeling beatup somethings not right.

I'd add in compound exercises - back squats and deadlifts hit alot of muscle groups.

In general following a proven routine is a great way of hitting your goals - starting strength for example is a begineer strength routine thats been around for a while.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
To the OP,
I don't mean to discourage you. What you are doing is much, much better than not doing anything. However, it is not the best way to accomplish your goals. The issue with your program is most of your exercises are supplemental or auxiliary exercises. These are the kinds of exercises I do at the end of my workout, if I have time. They are not my workout.

Where are barbell bench presses, pull-ups, weighted dips, squats and deadlifts? You need to focus on compound exercises instead of doing a bunch of isolation exercises.

Dumbbell bench presses: I know dumbbell bench presses are popular, but as far as I'm concerned, they are the best way in the gym to get hurt and most people aren't using enough weight to get much benefit.

Flat dumbbell flyes: Another exercise that some people love but love this exercise. It is similar to dumbbell bench presses in that it is easy to injure your shoulders. It is also a poor exercise in that there is no resistance where the most benefit could be gained. Do flat cable flies instead. Pec dec machines have also worked for me.

Pull-downs: I do a few sets of pull-downs after 5 sets of pull-ups. There is no reason to change the grip.

Side laterals: this might be a helpful exercise if you were a body builder and wanted to focus on your deltoids.

Tricep exercises: bench presses and dips will hit your triceps as much as you need. I will occasionally do a couple sets of triceps pushdowns before I leave the gym if I have a few extra minutes.

Leg extensions: This is an exercise that many experts (such as my orthopedic surgeon) tell you not to do. I have not followed their advice and have started doing one-legged leg extensions. The reason is I have a torn meniscus in my right knee and realized that leg was starting to shrink. One leg leg extensions and leg presses allow me to focus on my bad leg. If I didn't have a bad knee, I would focus on squats and deadlifts. If you want to do more, than add lunges and box step-ups.

Seated leg curls: I think this machine is worthless. Squats will hit your hamstrings better than any machine.

Calf raises: Your goal is to lose weight. Your time could be invested much more wisely on another exercise.

I suggest you look at StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger and Starting Strength to get some ideas.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 08-24-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
To the OP,
I don't mean to discourage you. What you are doing is much, much better than not doing anything. However, it is not the best way to accomplish your goals. The issue with your program is most of your exercises are supplemental or auxiliary exercises. These are the kinds of exercises I do at the end of my workout, if I have time. They are not my workout.

Where are barbell bench presses, pull-ups, weighted dips, squats and deadlifts? You need to focus on compound exercises instead of doing a bunch of isolation exercises.

Dumbbell bench presses: I know dumbbell bench presses are popular, but as far as I'm concerned, they are the best way in the gym to get hurt and most people aren't using enough weight to get much benefit.

Flat dumbbell flyes: Another exercise that some people love but love this exercise. It is similar to dumbbell bench presses in that it is easy to injure your shoulders. It is also a poor exercise in that there is no resistance where the most benefit could be gained. Do flat cable flies instead. Pec dec machines have also worked for me.

Pull-downs: I do a few sets of pull-downs after 5 sets of pull-ups. There is no reason to change the grip.

Side laterals: this might be a helpful exercise if you were a body builder and wanted to focus on your deltoids.

Tricep exercises: bench presses and dips will hit your triceps as much as you need. I will occasionally do a couple sets of triceps pushdowns before I leave the gym if I have a few extra minutes.

Leg extensions: This is an exercise that many experts (such as my orthopedic surgeon) tell you not to do. I have not followed their advice and have started doing one-legged leg extensions. The reason is I have a torn meniscus in my right knee and realized that leg was starting to shrink. One leg leg extensions and leg presses allow me to focus on my bad leg. If I didn't have a bad knee, I would focus on squats and deadlifts. If you want to do more, than add lunges and box step-ups.

Seated leg curls: I think this machine is worthless. Squats will hit your hamstrings better than any machine.

Calf raises: Your goal is to lose weight. Your time could be invested much more wisely on another exercise.

I suggest you look at StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger and Starting Strength to get some ideas.
Normally I would say this is very good advice, but for the OP it's not the right approach yet. The OP is dieting down to lose weight and trying to do a strength program in a calorie deficit is going to see him get subpar results. He would be better off with the depletion/metabolic work until he has lost sufficent weight and then he can transition into a strength program.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:36 AM

506 posts, read 958,891 times
It's good for just getting back to the gym. Maybe more basic compound exercises along with the others you have. You have a lot of good isolation and accessory exercises in there but the basic compound ones that focus of numerous muscles are lacking.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Due 2 lower back issues I stay clear of Squats/Deadlifts. I have elbow and shoulder issues as well due to being a baseball pitcher for 10+ years as well as pitching in batting practice for another 10+ years 2 my son's team. Therefore I like dumbbells way better than barbells cause they have free range of motion and don't seem to hurt nearly as much as a barbell which locks u n place. Also like my reps 10+ on everything. Hope that helps a little to let you guys know why I am doing what I'm doing.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
congrats on getting back in shape,,, a worthy goal,,

ive been eating low carbs and high protein,,,,and its working for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness