Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:07 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yeah that was kind of a dick move, and I would know.

Seriously though, if there is one thing I've learned from my time coaching, it's that there is really no correlation between how good you are at something and how well you can teach someone else to do it. There's a bunch of NFL coaches who are excellent positional coaches (Josh McDaniels and Mike Shanahan with quarterbacks, Mike Nolan with linebackers, Bob Slowik with defensive backs...etc) yet were never really any good as players themselves.

Give the girl a chance. She may surprise you.
Excellent point about coaches who weren't great players. Heck, I ran track in high school. Our coach was a short, dumpy smoker, yet our team was always a top contender in our league, and we were state champions my senior year. The fact that the man didn't look like the model of an athlete didn't keep him from knowing how to get results from the athletes he coached.

In the gym you can see the opposite situation as well. I'd guess that we've all received, or overheard, bad advice on exercise from the mouths of guys who were built like Greek gods. If this girl knows her stuff, what does it matter what she looks like? Besides, maybe she doesn't usually look so flabby. Maybe she's put on some pounds during an injury layoff, and will return to good shape when she can fully work out again.

Even if she's kind of flabby all the time, leave it to her potential clients to decide whether she gives them the results they want. They're a better judge than someone who meets her briefly and goes on appearances alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
. She looked dumpy and soft and was in no way, shape or form posessing a good physique. Even by "regular person" standards she looked flabby, and as far as personal trainer physiques, well, she was an embarrassment to our profession.
I should've bit my tongue.. was I entitled to comment on what I felt was a breach of our standards?
Yes you should have bit your tongue and kept your opinions to yourself.you are lucky she didnt give you one upside the head.I think you owe the woman a sincere apology. i'm sure she now views you as a Pompous elitist gymn snob, you'd look kinda stupid if the reason for her less than ideal shape in your opinion was due to some physical malady or she is coming down from 400lbs or some such rational reason.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Yep that was a d1ck move, but something that I'd totally do. Kudos for letting her not get away with hypocrisy, heh.

I don't usually like to make people feel bad unless I already despise them on a deeper level. If it pleases you to shatter somebody's ego then I guess nobody can stop you.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm a personal trainer and today I was visiting with another trainer freind of mine (female) at the gym where she works. As we were walking the cardio floor, I came across another female trainer that worked there. This woman was about 5'-5" and weighed maybe 160 lbs. She looked dumpy and soft and was in no way, shape or form posessing a good physique. Even by "regular person" standards she looked flabby, and as far as personal trainer physiques, well, she was an embarrassment to our profession.
I should've bit my tongue but I just couldn't resist. So I asked her, "Are you really a certified trainer?" She replied that she indeed was. I then walked away with my friend and said--intentionally loud enough for the trainer to hear--"Hmm...trainers who need trainers!"
This chick went ballistic on me and made a scene. Yelling and screaming.
Long story short: was I out of line? Or, since I work my butt off to stay in great shape and to uphold my professional standards, was I entitled to comment on what I felt was a breach of our standards?
Bad bad move! How do you know that she might have recently had a baby or something. Also, there are trainers who provide proper techniques and explain things that others can understand. Unless they're grossly overweight, you don't assume they are not trainers until you see a session or something. She might not be as fit as you, but she might actually be a better trainer.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Let me get this straight...

You went into a gym that you don't work at/don't belong to and made loud, derogatory comments about a woman that you have never met before, a woman who just happens to be your friend's coworker.... Not good.

I think you owe them both an apology. I'm surprised your friend is still speaking to you.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:23 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I must agree, you were boorish. The woman COULD have just lost 300#. Just because she isn't "there" yet doesn't mean she doesn't know her stuff. Like, there are reasons that very competent golf pros aren't playing professional golf...they know the stuff, but can't execute it like Tiger Woods.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times
I think we can all conclude that this guy is a real dick.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
I am in very good shape. My genetics is not extremely poor but my body does not resemble one of a person being in extreme shape. As my wife says if I worked out like you I would have a six pack and be cut up. Obviously, genetics is a big big factor for me which might be her problem, too. I would apologize.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM

419 posts, read 868,571 times
And the Jack@ss of the Year Award goes to...

You should have asked your friend about her co-worker. Maybe there was a reasonable explanation for the trainer's appearance (like she just had a baby or whatnot). Live and learn, right?

An apology to your friend and to her co-worker would be a nice gesture.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
My mom used to rave about this woman we knew that lead weight watchers meetings. I never got it because I thought she was rather dumpy. Turned out she used to weight one hundred pounds more and did a great job of motivating the woman and getting them to do the best they could at any given time. So they could feel okay about being 25lbs overweight as opposed to 50 or 60.

She might also be a better strength coach or work with people rehabbing injuries/dealign with chronic conditions. Sometimes you have to see what the person's specialty is and how they help people accomplish their goals. If she is the gateway for a larger/more out of shape person to work with someone at the gym then more power to her. I have know woman and now older people who for whatever reason do not relate to someone at a fitness level they cannot attain. It might not be fair but its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness